Thread: Reloading guru needed

Default Reloading guru needed

I have a 7mm BR in XP 100.
    Can't find this ammo any more.
    Remington has since then produced the 7mm-08 and done away with 7mm BR.
    What ammo should I buy to possibly fire form to 7mm BR.
    OR
    What brass should I buy to resize to 7mm BR
    OR
    Should I have my gun rechambered to fit 7mm-08.

I really like the 7mm BR. I have been able to hit quarters at 200 yds. But I haven't fired this gun in 10 yrs. Can't find the ammo. In fact I wonder if I can find the dies.

I would look for some ammo or cases and dies. When you find them buy a couple hundred of them and you will be set for a long time.

The cases can be made from regular 308 win cases so you will have no shortage of components.

The easiest way would be from another benchrest case like a 6mm BR.

If I were you I would look for the 7mm cases or ammo and stock up.

gunbroker.com has dies.

I vote to have a `smith rechamber this to the 7mm/08.
    Tennessee

I'm not a reloading guru, and I'm not personally familiar with the Rem 7mm BR. There are many, many more knowledgeable people on this forum, who will most likely help you.

However, it is my understanding that while Remington BR brass (6mm and 7mm) is based on the .308 case, the BR cases are HIGHLY MODIFIED and simply cutting down .308 cases to 1.5, reforming, and necking them down to 7mm won't work...the Remington BR brass has a small rifle primer pocket (as opposed to the regular rifle primer of the .308), the case walls are thinner, and the brass is annealed to facilitate reforming (Cartridges of the World, 10th Edition, p. 110 and 302).

The good news is that dies for your 7mm BR are still available. Maybe the best thing to do is locate some Remington BR brass, buy a bunch of it, and roll your own. If you neck resize it, as opposed to full length resizing, it just might last you a very long time.

Good luck...

Thumbs up 7mm BR....for Griz?

I Guru part-time and have loaded the 7BR as well as the entire BR family starting with the 308x1&1/2".

If you are presently a handloader, a set of 7BR dies and a bag of Remington 7BR brass is all you need. Both are available now. Remington lists only the 7BR in their brass list, no longer selling 6BR or even the 308x1&1/2".

If you should find some 6BR brass or 308x1 1/2" brass it could be necked to accept the .284" bullets. There is still some of the 308x1&1/2" brass around from a few sources. Some of it was made with large rifle primer pockets....that won't work. The 308x1&1/2" with small rifle primer pockets can be run through a 7BR die and loaded.

Another good source is the excellent Norma 6BR (Norma) brass. Norma redeveloped the 6BR from Mike Walkers original design but the brass dimension is the same. Norma changed throat dimensions to use longer 107 grain match bullets for long range competition. It is one of the four calibers using this brass dimension. I now have only the 6.5 BR in a Wichita pistol with a 12" barrel and it has punched a few quarters at the 200 yard line also. All of this bunch of short stubby target rounds are very good in a 10" to 12" barreled handgun and all my 7BR work was with the 10" XP-100. It is a great Silhouette caliber .

Ammo made for these was made by handloaders from 308 brass until Remington made the 308x1&1/2" with small primers, then the job was easier. Then back in the mid 90's Remington began making 7BR brass and loaded ammo. I 'm pretty sure they have dropped the loaded ammo and I know of no other source for the ammo. The 7BR is the most popular of the four and Remington 7BR brass is availbale from Graf & son and is RU7MMBR @ $60.00/100. They also offer the Norma 6BR brass N26014 @ $20.00/20 rounds.

Graf also has the reloading equipment. A three die set having a F/L and NK sizers and seater is RED84241, a two die set is RED80241, they are $65 and $45 respectively. If you are a target shooter cut to the chase and buy Sierra 130 HPBT MK or 150 HPBT MK at about $25/100 and CCI-400BR primers and a pound of H4895 or Vihta N135.

Other than that, I've never heard of the 7mm BR.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

As a last resort the 308 cases will work just fine. Will probably have to case neck turn though. and you can anneal your own cases easy enough. My favorite 308 win load was a bench rest case loaded with a 165 barnes x boatail. Bench rest cases are just 308 win with a small primer.

7BR brass and dies are available from Bruno’s Shooter Supply, http://www.brunoshooters.com/ .
    It is in Arizona but they do primarily internet sales. I was in there a week or two ago and they had it in stock then. I was going to get a bag or two but blew my cash on 9.3x64 brass.

Mark

To all.......
    Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    As a last resort the 308 cases will work just fine. Will probably have to case neck turn though. and you can anneal your own cases easy enough. My favorite 308 win load was a bench rest case loaded with a 165 barnes x boatail. Bench rest cases are just 308 win with a small primer.

Yes, that's true, 308 Win can be made into BR's but it does require neck reaming and annealling. I found them not worth the trouble not so much to make but with the large primer I coudn't get the accuracy. The 308x1 1/2" with the small pocket is called the 30 BR and if that brass is around it can be necked to 7 BR and used without any other work. I just started with the "BR's" when we were making our own cases.

How do you like the 308 BR brass? I've never tried that but have heard pros and cons.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy a part time Guru???? More like Grandmaster Guru!

Not a half bad writer either...or have I mentioned that?

Sorry Murphy but I was past due!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Murphy a part time Guru???? More like Grandmaster Guru!

Not a half bad writer either...or have I mentioned that?

Sorry Murphy but I was past due!

Auwh, Shucks!
    So does that mean I look like Yoda?

The REM B.R. brass wasn't any different that just using any other brass for my 308 win just small rifle primers. But I thought I would try something different. With a 165 barnes X at 2600 I shot a moose with it so I was happy.

Default brass

New Midway catalog has brass listed for sale.

Default 7mm BR

Same as the 308x 1.5" or necked down....only diffenece was the Primer the 308BR and 7mm BR used the small rifle BR primer by Rem. just like Miller said!

Supposed to been more accurate!