Thread: Towing questions

Default Towing questions

We're looking at trading up in the New Year, moving from an 18 foot Lowe v-hull open boat (probably weights 1000 with the 70hp engine on it) to a Hewescraft 220 Searunner with hard top, and 115 Yamaha 4-stroke. We've been towing the little boat with a Chevy S-10, 6 cyl. pickup. The GVWR on that vehicle is 5150. Is it totally out of the question to use the little pickup to tow the boat from Soldotna to Homer and get it in and out of the launch ramp there? We would store the boat in Homer at a nearby boat yard.

I had a s-10 and i would say they are by no means heavy duty and am not so sure i would want to pull anything bigger than that 18 foot for any distance. If it was me i would think you could find somebody with a full size to pull it down there for fuel cost and not risk doing damage to your truck.

I would be more concerned with stopping in a hurry. (ie. blue hair stopping suddenly to view the fireweed, moose...) The brakes and suspension on that truck will not be up for that IMO. If you are set on keeping the current truck, just have somebody with a full size tow it down there for you. I would not hesitate to launch or pull that boat out with the s-10 as long as you kept it in 4 low. Low range makes a HUGE difference. You are making a good choice on the Hewescraft. I ran a 24 footer for 5 seasons and loved that boat. Is this the 22 foot ocean pro or standard 22 searunner? Either way I would go with the F150 at the minimum. I have a friend with the 22 searunner hardtop set up with the F115 and it is really under powered. He runs it WOT all the time to get a 28-32 mph cruise. I was out on it this past spring in a 5 foot following sea. That F115 had trouble climbing out of the trough. Not fun! There is a dedicated hewescraft owners website. You might peruse the archives there and inquire about that power set up. I believe that it has been hashed out before. Here is the link: http://hewescraft.30.forumer.com/

By the way, I checked out the photo gallery of your second home. WOW! Beautiful retreat!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Have you considered just launching at deep creek There is a tractor that launches and retrieves boats there. It is a little closer and that might be easier on your pickup.

Default Options

Guys-

Thanks for your responses.

I'm pretty sure I can borrow a friend's Ford 150 and get the boat to Homer then baby it in and out of the launch ramp. Out cabin is on the far side of Kachemak Bay, so launching out of Deep Creek is not an option.

Spoiled One: The boat I'm looking at is a 2003 220 Searunner, not sure if it's the Ocean Pro or Standard. I'm betting Standard.

It comes with a 2003 115 hp Yamaha 4-stroke, so I'm stuck with a smaller engine for a few years. Thanks for the info and compliments on The Cottage!

jim

Thats what i would think would be the smart way to do it. the short trips and launching/landing i would not be too worryed about. Its just the long haul could cause alot of heat to build but in your tranny and i know my old one had not the greatest cooling system either. And stopping it will be a chore for the little truck as well.

I cannot tell you I would advocate you towing the boat with your S 10 but the boat weighs in about 1800lb with hardtop, 402lb for the motor, 1500lb for the trailer puts you way under the Max GCWR of the truck......then there is the gear and fuel>>???

The pull from Soldotna to Homer only has a few hard hills. The biggest issue will be stopping and the ramp in Homer. I have seen many a boat and truck take the slid down the ramp backwards just at the transition point of the ramp to the parking lot. With your truck and boat it should be no big deal.

I do not understand the 115hp O/B when the boat is rated to 225 hp. That would in deed make for an under powered setup. I have seen the same thing to many times here in Alaska. It will run fine on the lake or calm seas but throw a 10 to 15 mph wind in your face and a building sea, out going tide will be asking for trouble.....and it's the same shop who sells this setup like candy here in Anchortown. My friend has the same boat and he originally had the 115 (on their recommendation)and now he has the F200 this made it a whole new boat. If he stays out of the throttle it actually gets way better fuel economy.

My 2 cents!!!!!!!

Hmm.... I have a different opinion for what its worth. I have an 05' GMC Canyon that I have been towing my boat with. Mostly to local lakes and rivers no real distance runs. However my truck is rated to pull the boat and does so without hesitation. Stopping? The trailer has brakes and yes I do know the boat is back there but I have had no issues with stopping when necessary. Yeah, it might be a little hard on the brakes in those instances but it don't happen everyday. From what I read, your asking if it is out of the question on one trip not every trip. If your buddies car broke down would you tow it home for him? It sure as heck weighs as much as the boat your looking at.

We used to do alot more with less but everything has gotten bigger these days. Ask around if a 300cc ATV can pull a whole moose out. All you'll here is why are you using one of those...... Fire at will......

Default HP

As far as the SeaRunner with the 115 I guess I'll put in my two cents in. I have the 22ET Hardtop with the F115. I've been out in PWS in the spring, summer and fall fishing and hunting and I've never had any problems with being underpowered. The plain fact is that when the wind and water become nasty it's not the hp hanging off the rear end of the boat that limits your speed-it's the size of the boat and how much of a beating the skipper and crew are willing to take. The 115 will not cruise at 40mph but frankly that's not what I'm looking for. I ran a sport boat out of Dutch Harbor for five years and now I'm running one out in PWS-different boats but almost exactly the same weight to HP ratio. I've run both boats in heavy seas and in my humble opinion it's more about who is at the helm than how much hp you have hanging off the tail. Would I exchange my 115 for a 150 or a 200? You bet. But I don't believe it's worth the extra $ and if you know what you're doing the SeaRunner with the F115 is a good setup.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Default Rethinking

So now I'm rethinking buying a 220 Searunner with the F115. I'd rather have more power than less. When it's needed (as in the case of a heavy following sea) it's nice to have the power in reserve.

I'd like to hear from Hewescraft 220 owners and their experiences with a F115 hp compared to a F150 hp...Thanks.