Thread: Mclaren River Lodge Report

Default Mclaren River Lodge Report

I was up on the Denali hwy this weekend and out at Mclaren River Lodge. There is good snow, I had fun. There is snow on the highway all the way in. If you have never been there you gotta go. Allen and Suzie run the best lodge that I have ever been to. Their rooms are nice, the food is good and they make you feel like your at home.

Default Mclaren

Did you go in from Cantwell or Paxson?

I went in from pasxon. This is their website
    http://www.maclarenlodge.com/ and phone (907) 822-5444. When I was there a couple of guys came up from lake louise, so that route should be doable too.

Give Allen a call and he'll tell you how the snow is anywhere around there.

Default $5.00 a year for club memebership

For $5.00 a year gets you in as a member of the Denali Highway Trail club with weekly E-mail updates to unclude Lake Louise.

I just received this ..........................

"I hope this finds everyone well and that everyone had a very Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!

The temperatures in the Maclaren Valley have dropped since New Years Eve. The party was great, a hugh bonfire, lots of great fireworks and loads of fun. Thank you to all that came out for a good time. Send photos. The temperatures were a balmy +24 that night.

Today is a whole different story. -25 and clear as a bell, calm (which is a good thing). The snow is crispy under foot and is set up great on the trails. With the Gin Gin 200 dog race and the New Years crowd in and around the valley, the trail have all pretty much been ridden.

A word of warning, be aware there are lots of caribou and moose in the area.

Paxson to the Maclaren Valley Hard pack, some ice from 11 to 13 mile, but very little pavement showing on the edge. Wind scoured by some pretty hefty winds. Once past the Tangle Area, the snow is deeper and the trail is hard packed and fast. There are a couple of bad drifts in front of Tangle River Inn and a few starting at the guardrail at the lake as well as the drifts around Mile 30 and but the other than that, itís in great shape.

Maclaren Valley to Cantwell In great shape, Cantwell got 2 inches of snow so it helped with the pack on the trail. Still not a lot but the trail is there and in good shape. This is great since the Cantwell Classic Sled dog race will be held next weekend.

7 Mile Trail This trail is in fantastic shape all the way in and through the Glacier Gap at mile 30 on the Denali Trail. Beautiful and awesome riding.

Maclaren Glacier Trial The trail has had some traffic around it, it has not been groomed, however it has had several snowmachines run it. Be aware of open spots, the water is not deep, but just pockets where the ice dropped. It is in good shape and all had a fantastic time on that trail.

The Mac-Su Loop Still in great shape, 110 miles of smooth riding. We did have some riders from Lake Louise come up the Su and hit the Maclaren so that trail is now in. This is a rugged trail, not to be attempted by novice riders. There is some overflow, not bad, but enough where you will need to be cautious.

The Lake Louise/Maclaren Trial Hopefully we will get some work done on this trail this month. No one has been on this trail because the snow is marginal in spots.

Take Care and we look forward to seeing you on the trail!!!!

Alan Echols

Vice President Ė Denali Highway Trail Club

Thank you so much to all of you that have signed up for the trail club. As we didnít get the state grant that we applied for this year we will have to rely on these membership funds to help with the expense of grooming."

Quote Originally Posted by COS View Post
    For $5.00 a year gets you in as a member of the Denali Highway Trail club with weekly E-mail updates to unclude Lake Louise....
    So where does one sign up??

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Signed up OK but didn't have to pay to be on the mailing list. I'll probably be going there sometime this winter and I'll buy some gas and a burger to help 'em out I guess. Perusing their site and, whaddaya know, Mclaren River Lodge Thongs!!! Made in the USA!! Get 'em while their hot!