Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Doggers...Who has one???

Default Hot Doggers...Who has one???

So my buddy at work were talking about these little contraptions (I guess they are called "Muff pots" now) and were wondering if they work well, or at all. Who has them and what do you think? What can you cook in 'em besides dogs/brats.

I have one and it is not all that it is cracked up to be, in my opinion. I have tried cooking burritos in it numerous times and it does not seem to get hot enough to cook. I heard that the type of machine and your riding style has alot to do with it. I have a 600cc Arctic Cat and I spend most of my days boondocking.

the best thing to do is get them as close to the manifold as possible. As far as how good they work, I have never had a problem with them. I don't know how I would mount one in my fusion though. Hunt_AK you should be able to mount it close to the manifold with your machine. I always like putting stuff in there thats been cooked and so you just warm it up (steak, chicken). Usually takes 20 min to heat something to where its warm all the way through.

I'm with Blake on this. You don't really cook in them so much as heat food up, and mount it as close to the manifold as possible

Any pre-cooked food you'd normally "heat n eat" work great as long as you prewrap it in foil. Hot dogs, Hot Pockets, Burritos (unfrozen) etc.

Muff Pots & Hotdogger are two different animals. IMO… go with the Muff Pot it is stainless steel and larger. The hot dogger is aluminum and the lid vibrates a bit and slobbers aluminum into the pan contaminating your food.

I put Brats, Hotpockets chimys, potpies, burritos, little smokies & BBQ sauce in them.

Rule of thumb…. If you smell it cooking, its done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by polarisblake View Post
    the best thing to do is get them as close to the manifold as possible. As far as how good they work, I have never had a problem with them. I don't know how I would mount one in my fusion though. Hunt_AK you should be able to mount it close to the manifold with your machine. I always like putting stuff in there thats been cooked and so you just warm it up (steak, chicken). Usually takes 20 min to heat something to where its warm all the way through.
    Blake, I was looking at minetoday after cleaning my exhaust valves and saw that might be the best place also. I would think that at 120-150 degrees engine temp, it should get stuff pretty darn hot!!

Thumbs up

I can't believe you haven't already got one Kyle!! I've worn out two hotdoggers and am on my third now! I love it, there is nothing better than grabbing a hot lunch out from under the hood when all my buddies are eating half frozen sandwiches!

I haven't had any problem with the hotdogger, but the aluminum will rub off on your food if it is wrapped in tin foil. I solved this by using Reynolds oven bags(like you would use on a turkey). I found some smaller sized ones that work great and the food is nice and clean. I think it also allows the food to get hotter since it doesn't have to get through another layer of aluminum foil.

Mine is mounted right along the front bend in the pipe and heats things up so hot I can't touch them bare handed most of the time.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Do you keep your food in it the whole time while riding or put it in a certain amout of time before you are ready to eat?

Quote Originally Posted by COS View Post
    Muff Pots & Hotdogger are two different animals. IMO… go with the Muff Pot it is stainless steel and larger. The hot dogger is aluminum and the lid vibrates a bit and slobbers aluminum into the pan contaminating your food.

I put Brats, Hotpockets chimys, potpies, burritos, little smokies & BBQ sauce in them.

Rule of thumb…. If you smell it cooking, its done.
    By the looks of that picture, that muff pot is way bigger than the low-pro hot dogger...Seems like it wouldn't fit in most newer machines....

I put food in right off the trailer. Hot pockets, burritos, etc... are my favorites.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have never been as jealous of anyone in my life than I was 4 hours into my first trip to petersville. We stopped to grab lunch and I broke out my Ice cold 6" sub sandwitch looked around and everyone else was pulling out piping hot chimichangas and burritos!
    I hadn't seen the muff pot but it may be the way to go I will have plenty of room under the hood of my 04' mountain cat.

Anyone use the "can holder" (I think it's made by the same company that makes the HD or the MP) for heating up canned food?

Hot soup would be an awesome treat on the trail.

Don't know about the can holder, but my stainless steel HD works great for soup.

So everyone online wants my firstborn for shipping (up to 44.00!!) a muff pot up here. After reading on 'em, I decided to give the 'ol muff pot a go. Does anyone know where I can pick one up in town??

Default shipping

Hunt_Ak try looking in to shiptoalaska.com rate is $1.29/lb

Check with Fish Creek Sales, if you are not in a hurry they will sometimes put it on order with their next shipment and save you the freight.
    AKmud

I was channel surfing and came across some guys on the Travel Channel cooking ptarmigan breasts in a muff pot on the way to some glacier out of Girdwood. Looked tasty.

Bizzar Eats Thats the name of the show ya was watching. Man I love that show, I to need a dogger or maybe I better check into this muff thingy.

Definately one of the best add-ons a person can spend their money on. If I could figure out how to put one on my wheeler, I would(it's a mud issue).

Default got two on my machine

I have one on the side on the large part of the muffler and just put another right where the exhaust comes out of the engine! THat is the place! I pulled my turkey wrap out and it was HOT! I wouldn't go without, especially out on the trapline at -30. Nothing like a hot meal to eat!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast