Thread: .454 Ruger SBH Vs. SW 329 .44 mag recoil?

Default .454 Ruger SBH Vs. SW 329 .44 mag recoil?

Hello everyone. I don't live in Alaska (reside in Minnesota), but found this site while reserching the possible purchase of a .454 Ruger SBH. I'm considering buying a .454 Ruger SBH 7.5" Currently I shoot a SW .357 mag 6" very well and want to step up in power. I looked at various 44mags, but I'm thinking to jump right up to the .454 becasue I can always use .45 Colt or load light .454 rounds. I also like the looks of the Ruger .454 too. Since I have not found a gun range that rents the .454, the only comparison I can make is to the SW 329 .44 mag which for me was miserable to shoot with full house loads. My first shot with the 329 was a bullseye at 25yds and after that I just manage to keep the shots on the paper! The next week was a little better.

For those that have shot both, how does the .454 Ruger SBH and the SW 329 lightweight .44 mag compare in recoil with hot loads for each?

Thanks for the help!

I dont like the recoil cycle of the SBH, whether in 454 or even 44. Just a personal taste thing, but there you have it. It also depends on what you are going to do with it. For a purely hunting gun, I'd go for the SRH in a hearbeat, cuzz I like the way it handles recoil better. If it was to be a purely carry gun that I would shoot almost exclusively double action, the Smith wins hands down.

Not to discourage you or dissuade you from what you're already looking at getting, but have you considered a Ruger Bisley in .45 Long Colt? Since you are obviously planning to reload for it anyway, in a Ruger the .45 LC can be loaded up with cast bullets to where it will match or exceed the performance of a .44 Mag. The thing I like better about the Bisley is that it doesn't have the odd-shaped trigger guard of the SBH that could be painful on the middle finger when shooting hotter loads. Other than that, it's basically the New Model Blackhawk frame. I know the grip frame on the Bisley is just a bit bigger than a regular New Model Blackhawk, but I'm not sure if it's any larger than the grip frame on the SBH. Just my $.02.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Thumbs up Ruger vs S&W

Ruger are known for their strength with heavy loads........S&W 29/629 are a excellent pistol but will not stand up too heavy loads. Just like the Colt Python 357 use with full power loads is must.

The Ruger Redhawk and Super Blackhawk and Security Six all excellent handguns that digest heavy loads....with ease.

My main carry sidearm is Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag custom "Predator"

I shoot and carry the Ruger SuperRedhawk in .454 Casull. I was a devout .44 Magnum fan until I went to the .454. The stock grips that came on it hurt me to shoot that weapon. I replaced them with a set of Hogue finger grips, and I can shoot this gun with ease. I can now control the recoil instead of just touching a round off and hanging on, as happened with the factory grips.

If you can handle a .44 Magnum, the .454 is easy to handle.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???