Thread: WWG

Default WWG

Is it worth it to buy one of their rifles, or can you do pretty much the same thing yourself for less money? I can't see spending over a grand for a guide gun with all their goodies on it. Figure I could do it myself cheaper. Thanks in advance.

I first did not expect to get their service when I purchased my 1895 but I was looking for a aftermarket stock. My reloads cracked the tang area and that pretty much set me up for a whopper of service from WWG. I like there work and have not any problems with them in regards to their performance on my rifle.
    I do not like in the past buying there brass, like 32 bucks per 20 rounds. Now I just use the Lee collet and crimp for the COL in the standard original 45-70 brass.
    I like there trigger kit on mine and there lever and them iron sights of theres. The stock thus far has endured many many rounds of 52 grn. H322 and 425gr. solids. The finish is some kind of electroless nickel and nary a blemish after some 6yrs of use in the brush and in the boat.
    It is your money, you can probably go to Turnbull and spend more if you think a thousand bucks is not enough.
    I would never again go for porting on any short barrel or long for that matter-darn short barrels with porting--LOUD!! If you do not succeed with the first shot I will gaurantee the second shot will hurt your ears.
    I hope this helps a tad. They are expensive but there work is above the norm.

regards,

Thanks for the info. I should have specified that I wasn't concerned about the finish. I live up there for six years and used nothing but standard blue rifles and didn't have any rust/pitting problems. I was mainly talking about the sights, lever loop, extractor, and trigger.

the extractor has held up very well-never gives me a doubt with these loads of mine.
    good day

Default WWG Worth it ?

I used them once. I will probably continue to have anything beyond basic gun work done state side. Years ago I bought a Marlin 1895 45-70. I had the tube cut to 20", a full length magazine tube installed so it holds 6 rounds, the trigger set smooth to a little over 3 lbs., bedded the tang area, put a good 1" recoil pad on it and Express Sight Systems Peep Sight and had a local gun smith disable that useless thing they call a safety. It will never be ported ! I use Win. brass, H322 powder and Kodiak 405 gr. bullets. Some day I will replace the lever with a slightly larer one. I had a local gun smith do the safety, barell, magazine tube and trigger. Did the rest myself so I probably spent $200.00 over the cost of the gun. My lovely wife made me a fringed sheath for it out of smoke tanned moose hide and the whole thing has been a hoot to shoot and carry.

Grizz, is that the bear proof extractor, or the factory one?

bear proof.moose proof and fool proof. yea it is the WWG extractor.

regards,

While I have seen thier work and it is very nice I chose to do the customizing myself and saved a bunch of money. I really like WWG after market parts, I have thier lever loop, bearproof extractor, magazine follower, light mount, and trigger. I used the XS scout mount because it was easier to do myself than having the groove cut for the WWG mount. I couldn't see paying 500 or more for thier synthetic stock so I took the factory original wood and sealed the inside very well and used spray on bedliner for the outside. It worked great, and has held up for several years of hard use, even when mounted on the front of the 4 wheeler banging into every tree I drive by. If you want to try it yourself I would go for it, but they will do good work if you have it done by them also.

bear, nice looking gun. That is exactly what I am looking to do. Thanks for the replies.