Thread: My Wilson Shell holder

Default My Wilson Shell holder

Ha! To me this is dumb! I have a Wilson Micro. Trimmer and never had bought a shell holder for a handgun caliber. Well finally I did. Bought one for my G20 and the darndest thing is that the cutter will never reach the case as the Micrometer won't ever reach at its lowest measurement. I note in their catalog that there is no accessory for it. What I did was find a large bolt with a nut and fit betwixt the Mic. trimmer and the shell holder-it works but not what Wilson had in mind or is it?

My starline brass measures .987 or 88" but not familiar with down the road case flow.

Whats up?

regards,

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    Ha! To me this is dumb! I have a Wilson Micro. Trimmer and never had bought a shell holder for a handgun caliber. Well finally I did. Bought one for my G20 and the darndest thing is that the cutter will never reach the case as the Micrometer won't ever reach at its lowest measurement. I note in their catalog that there is no accessory for it. What I did was find a large bolt with a nut and fit betwixt the Mic. trimmer and the shell holder-it works but not what Wilson had in mind or is it?

My starline brass measures .987 or 88" but not familiar with down the road case flow.

Whats up?

regards,
    I ordered a Wilson case trimmer myself ...the research that I was able to dig up said that you should never need to trim handgun brass, including big-bore magnum stuff with roll crimps. It's just expected to stretch enough during a normal reloading lifetime. Starline produces cases that are already something like .005" shorter than max for handgun ammo if I recall ...should be plenty of room to stretch for most handguns. For the 500 S&W that I'm getting, they'd have to make a special shell holder ($30) for me and I'd have to buy the 50 BMG cutter for it ...I'm going to wait until my brass gets too long, if it ever does, and will then decide which is cheaper in the long run ...new brass or custom shell holder and new cutter.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    I ordered a Wilson case trimmer myself ...

Brian
    You will appreciate the exactness in which it performs! A rather fine investment. I have no qualms in the purchase. Now to gather the change for a Harrell Pre. Classic powder measure!

Yup, the trimmer and shell holder for .30-06 showed up yesterday along with my primer pocket uniformer and 200 rounds of starline brass in 500 S&W... Now to go clean up the garage and finish setting up my new reloading station (6' workbench with shelves ...and lockable doors to keep the kiddies out.)

Brian