Thread: 275 gr A-frames

Default 275 gr A-frames

Anybody load the 275gr A-frames in .338?

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Smith View Post
    Anybody load the 275gr A-frames in .338?
    I load a few to carry with me when hunting moose in September, but have no idea how fast they come out my rifle, since I would only use them on bears at close range. I imagine such a bullet would punch through about anything hat moves in Alaska. I use RL 22 and RL 25. However, I haven't used them on game, since I now load the rifle with 225-grain TSX for hunting moose and such. The Federal load with this bullet produces around 2800 fps at the muzzle, and is not only accurate, but lethal.

BB close range was my thinking too. 250 NPs always did the job quite well, and since going to the TSX I also like the 225s for moose just wouldn't be my first choice when chasing the coastal bruins. Since I no longer use 375 or 35 cals just thought might load up some frames in 275 and give em a try. Have used 250 A-frames in 338 with excellent terminal performance, figure an additional 25 grains be even better.

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I have a couple boxes of em I intend to load. Found some data in a Barnes manual showing I could get 2500 fps with H4350 without too much fuss.

Yes, I think that velocity would quite achievable with a max load 71.5gr of RL 25 and a 26" barrel in .338 WM. I am actually thinking about 275s in a 338 RUM should push right about 2700fps.

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Smith View Post
    Yes, I think that velocity would quite achievable with a max load 71.5gr of RL 25 and a 26" barrel in .338 WM. I am actually thinking about 275s in a 338 RUM should push right about 2700fps.
    That would be quite a tough combination.

On the .338WM, somewhere around 2430 to 2450 would be plenty, or a 300-grain Woodleigh under 2400 fps.

I was just looking at some reloading data in the 2008 Hodgdon's 2008 Annual Manual, where a 275-grain SPR SP Soft Point is listed, as well as a 300-grain Sierra HPBT. Do these bullets still exist? Anyway, the 275 grainer H1000 powder is shown at a maximum if 2564 fps. I would think that since the A-Frame is a tougher bullet such velocity would be difficult to reach. The 300 grainer is shown at a maximum of 2441 with IMR 4831.

The Woodleigh bullet should be similar in construction to Speer, and I would assume that somewhere under 2400 fps should make a good load for the .338 W. Magnum. I would think that from 2300 fps to 2370 fps is more than enough for close range.
    ------
    The Hodgdon's Annual is a very interesting magazine, with lots of reloading data, although RL powders are not listed.

There is a story about a large bear killed with the .338RUM and a 250-grain A-Frame at Swift:
    http://www.swiftbullets.com/mag.html

Thanks for the link. Zero experience with Hornady, Sierra, or Speer bullets in .338, I never even consider them. Lyman 48 shows ReLoder 22 w/ 275 A-frames at 2718fps in a 24" barrel. I'm planning on working that combo up this winter for a 26" match grade Shilen tube. I figure I can do her without leaning on it too hard. If I can achieve the desired accuracy, it will be my load for BB this spring season. I picked up the 2008 Hodgdon manual a few days ago also, I agree it is an interesting read. The real reason I picked it up was because it has load data for the .17 Remington Fireball.

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Thumbs down heavy bullets for 338

Back in the day before Prem bullets heavy was the word! Not today, the 225gr TSX will handle everything that the 338 Win is suitable for plus you get flatter trajectory.

I am a big fan of the 225gr Nosler Accubond with Reloader 19 for my interior moose!

if accuracy for Match shooting the 250 Sierra Gameking BT is excellent!