Thread: Building a 300H&H

Default Building a 300H&H

I am in the process of figuring the best way to build a custom rifle. Question is this; can I only use a 375 H&H, 300 Win Mag. and Wetherby actions or are there others. Trying to find the best buy an action that I can use. thanks for any info.

Any action that can fit a 375 should work great on a 300H&H. You see them on all brands of actions. Some may take more $$$ than others though. Thats why I like the 1917/P14 for the long and big calibers.

Default Building a .300 H&H

The P14/ P17 actions work great for the .300 H&H or the .375 H&H but they do require a bit of work. I've picked up several sporterized 1917s at local gun shows for less than $200. Get a Remington if possible with a Winchester as a 2nd choice. I've heard the Eddystones can crack the receiver ring but I've never personally seen one cracked.

If you are planning on dropping a bunch of $$ on the project find you a Remington 30 or 30S action as the basis. These will build up into first class magnum sporters without a lot of extra work and the finished gun will be worth a bit more $$ to boot.

Any Winchester Classic action originally chambered in 264 mag, 7 mm mag, 300 WM or 338 WM will also work. Just takes a few extra steps from the gunsmith to open up the magazine box and change the bolt stop, etc.
    Tennessee

This was a dream gun of mine back in Montana. I have the 375 H&H and want the 300 now. Was thinking of about $400-$500 for the action. From there I take it one step at a time. I must have it.. lOl you all know what I mean. thanks for all the help. Jeff