Thread: Homemade ATV trailer

Default Homemade ATV trailer

Hi guys, I was looking in this section and some of you guys have some nice homemade trailers for you ATV. I'm tinking of bulding a meat wagon type trailer for my Argo. Originaly I was thinking of using 25-12-9 or 22-11-8 tires/wheels but now I want to use some used "take off" atv tires (25-10-12) since they are so popular and inexpensive on the buy and sell. That got me looking for used atv wheels and realized that atv wheels don't come in the same bolt patern as hubs sold to build trailers!? Atv wheels are 4/110 or 4/137 while trailer hubs are 4/4". Any advise or suggestions?

There are some stock wheels in a 4/4 pattern. I used to have a webiste that listed all the patterns, I will try to find it for you.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Here you go, it looks like Kawasaki and Polaris have a few different bikes with 4/4 pattern.

Bolt Patterns
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

You can use the ATV tires. Just buy the wheels at Trailercraft or 6 Robblees. they are not very expensive. I prefer using the 5 on 4 1/2 Ford/Jeep pattern as it is what I have on my hauling trailer. More studs = stronger. Same price.
    I highly suggest getting the Stud/Nut type hubs. They are much easier to change a tire than the bolt style.

Default Argo tires

I would use Argo tires and rims. That way if you ever got into a situation where you had a flat or two on the Argo, you have two spares on the trailer if needed. Just a thought.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I was thinking of buying stub axles, knocking the studs out, rotate the hubs (between the holes), redrill to match the ATV wheels and put back in the studs. A guy could bring it to a machine shop to make sure everything is centered to avoid wobbles.

I haven't been able to find 12x7 wheels with a 4/4" pattern for less than about $70 each around here. I can get used ATV wheels for less than $50 a pair so I would like to use that option if possible. I thinking walking beam, for 4 wheels the cost would add up pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I would use Argo tires and rims. That way if you ever got into a situation where you had a flat or two on the Argo, you have two spares on the trailer if needed. Just a thought.
    That would be the best option but at $150 per tire (tire only) for my Frontier it is not an option!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    That would be the best option but at $150 per tire (tire only) for my Frontier it is not an option!!
    It is only going to cost you $150 in Anchorage or Fairbanks. In Peters Creek it is going to cost you $150 plus time to find one, plus fuel, plus your time waiting for one.... "A tire on hand in better than two in the store."

Its probably a little off subject, but since were talking about building a trailer for an ATV, I figured I'll throw it out there. Were do all you guys get the aluminium sheets from and who would you take it to for the bending? I got the welding part taken care of, just need the aluminium sheets and bending. Thanks for the info and sorry about getting off subject.

Default Feed Store

A good friend build a meat wagon last year. He bought a big plastic feed bin with a lid from a feed store. He then mounted it on a frame w/axles and tires.
    Completely waterproof, floats and fairly good sized.

If I can find a picture of the bin I will post it. Something like this.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....ile+Tool+Chest
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 12-30-2007 at 21:19. Reason: Added link

I think it was Snyd that posted a pic of his. I REALLY liked his. Come time for the tax return, I plan on making one like his.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Default rims

I bought my 12x7 wheels 4on4 from a golf cart store. and they worked fine.

Smile

What did you use to build your frame ? And how did you design it?

Quote Originally Posted by wicked4x4 View Post
    What did you use to build your frame ? And how did you design it?
    Do a search on Mountain Goat Trailers, and build one for your needs.

Bruce.

An easy fix is pickup one of the trailer kits from Fred's or where ever when they are on sale. Then measure and cut cross members down to width just shy of your ATV. Cut the axle into two pieces just about half the width of your new ATV trailer, then drill and bolt axles inside a square or round piece of steel - pipe or whatever. You can even install the lights if you wish. I picked up one of the heavy duty black plastic sleds and bolted that on top of frame. Makes a nice 2, 3, or 4 foot wide trailer, about six feet long. For black bear: I tip trailer over on its side, then roll bear in tie on and tip upright. Hookup to 4 wheeler and move to more open place to dress out bear. Just don't like to handle carcusses in tight cover any more!!!

Chris