Thread: A proposal idea....

Default A proposal idea....

I got to thinking yesterday about an idea that would help predator hunters out significantly. How do you think ADF&G would respond to the idea of having their wolf biologists keep a website updated (weekly if not more often) about the last known positions of wolf packs in heavily predated areas? This would provide us hunters, that don't have the advantage of an airplane, with some valuable location information.

I know they don't keep really close tabs on where the packs are, but they do have information occasionally regarding recent sightings. If they could pass that information along to the hunters (without us having to chase a biologist down to get the info), there may be a boost to effort put into predator hunting. I would love to get out on the snowmachine and target some wolves, but when they range a 250 sq. mile area, it is hard to know where to start. If I knew they were in a certain drainage a few days ago, I would at least have a direction to go to find some tracks.

Any thoughts?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default $$$$

Who is going to pay the biologists to fly around and find the wolves all the time. Their budgets are hardly enough to do other big game surveys nevertheless track the wolves every week or so.

By the time the biologist was able to get the information back to the office, entered into a computer, they would be gone.

There are probably a few legal implications here too. Flying, electronic communications, using an airplane....

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I don't mean for them to go out and locate them specifically for this purpose, just to post what updated information they already have from their normal observations and what they have been told. If they provided the information they have on a website, then us hunters wouldn't have to try to contact them and pry for some hints. If they were to keep a website updated (an hour or two a week maybe) then they wouldn't get as many people calling them asking what they know either.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I like that idea. They do it for other type of hunts. More information for the residents of this state from the people that we help pay to gain this kind of knowledge.

They do this for Caribou on the Seward Peninsula near Nome. They put the location of GPS collared Caribou on the internet. The guys at my shop hunt up there and are always posting the locations of the herds on the wall. I don't know if ADF&G has those collars on wolves but the question could be asked.

jkb is correct about the caribou.............except, the info on the website is always several days old. It used to be kept fairly current, but some of the govt folks who provide money for the bou collaring complained about it being too easy to hunt the bou.
    Mud............do you really think your idea could happen without the wolf lovers screaming, crying, and hiring lawyers?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Mud............do you really think your idea could happen without the wolf lovers screaming, crying, and hiring lawyers?
    Yes it can work because I know plenty that fly around and can do a "UPDATE" as to what they saw to help local hunters. You have a up to date "FISHING RECORDING"/ "DIPNET RECORDING"/"CARIBOU RECORDING"/ "COMMERCIAL FISHING RECORDING"........ Why not a "hey, saw a pack over in the you know where drainage".

I think you are onto something MUD, and will call my buddies at F&G to see if this cant make a go of it.

Great IDEA!

Curt

we're talking a density of one wolf for like every hundred square miles of this state, theres a reason its really really hard to hunt wolves, there just aren't that many of them. Wolves are managed and numbers are estimated primarily through trapping catches. Seems like a huge huge huge waste of money, that would perhaps be better spent counting sheep.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.