Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandate a shooting proficiency test?

Default Mandate a shooting proficiency test?

PROPOSAL XX

Require that you may not hunt with a rifle in any hunt or area for the taking of big game unless you have successfully demonstrated your shooting skills by completing a shooting proficiency test.

We have this requirement for the bow hunters and those that choose to us a muzzleloader so why not the average rifle hunter.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF NOTHING IS DONE?

• Continued loss of wounded animals.

• Continued excessive damage to meat.

WILL THE QUALITY OF THE RESOURCE HARVESTED OR PRODUCTS PRODUCED BE IMPROVED?

• Yes, there would be less wasted eatable meat.

• It will improve the hunters’ image by the general public by insuring that all hunters have shooting skills.

• One of our “Code of Conduct for Hunters” is to ensure a clean kill in the field.

WHO IS LIKELY TO BENEFIT?

• Most hunters.

• Most game animals

WHO IS LIKELY TO SUFFER?

• Those that can not pass the proficiency test.

OTHER SOLUTIONS CONSIDERED?

• Waiting for your suggestions.

Guess I'll start.

NO!!

When would the classes take place and where.

I was turned off by the bowhunter class. I went in to sign up and there were no classes scheduled and I went back a week later and they were full for the year. Good thing I already had a card from Montana.

I also disagree. shooting at paper or steel targets is totally different than shooting at animals.

We all have seen it where a guy is a dead eye dick at the range but then buck fever sets in on a critter. Hell, I even choked once on a bear. I still got it but the first shot wasnt one that I brag about.

Just another regulation that wouldnt do to much for the sport.

Thumbs down

Why?? Do we have a problem that requires this?
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

I'd have to agree with the rest. It sounds like a good idea. But, the only thing it would change is to make it harder for the average hunter.

Nope. Spend the time and money on F&G management instead.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Default just my thoughts

Hunting isn't supposed to be an elitist sport, I know I have chimed in here before about people taking long shots--and what I have learned is that it is between them and their maker, because in the end we aren't God.

I don't think it would be possible to educate/test skills of everyone, especially with all of the out of staters that hunt here. It would be more of a drain on resources than it would do good in the end.

So what can we do, make sure that we practice--and challenge those that are close to us to do the same.

Please don't allow us to become like Europe where hunting is for the Elite/Wealthy.

Default NO

No! Would F&G buy a submarine so the native villages could be tested for shooting whales and seals? How about a sea otter shooting contest or a walrus target. There is no way to implement this in every village, city and rural home in Alaska. There is more to Alaska than LosAnchorage out there.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Someone, I can't remember if it was F&G or FWS went out to some villages last summer to teach a bear self defense class, which involved shooting slugs at a bear target. I think the villagers saw it as a bit of an insult....Louis

Absolutely not. We have more than enough rediculous rules being shoved on us as it is by non-hunters and people that don't know one end of a gun from the other.

If you want to propose something to the Board of Game, write a proposal that keeps everybody but me out of my hunting area.............
    Last edited by Hawken54; 12-30-2007 at 18:47. Reason: Fat fingers on the keyboard.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

No, no more taxes, no more rules, no more regulations, no more b.s. until we figure out a way to deal with what we already have!
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

No!! Too many rules and regulations already!!

No, No. No! Enough said.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default No,no,no!

Hmmm...this is a joke right?

Angry NO

Sorry, but didn't I already get these lessons (shot placement, shooting tips, ethics, etc) from my hunter's education course? Besides, I personally don't agree with this because I am a victim of a similar issue on Eielson AFB. We have to "qualify" every year in order to hunt on Eielson. This requires us to go out and shoot a life sized moose target at about 35 yards and place 3 of 5 (I believe) arrows with broadheads in the kill zone. Qualifying isn't the problem, finding the time in my schedule to make one of the few qualification days is. Last year I was able to do so, but this year, due to several unexpected events and schedule changes, I couldn't make it happen. Therefore I was not allowed to hunt (it's bow hunting only on Eielson property) on base this season even though I'm IBEP Certified and had qualified on base the previous year. I'm not saying this idea is totally without merit, I just don't think this is the way to go about it. I think we should police ourselves on this issue (if it is in fact an issue?) by taking more time at the range and keeping each other honest as hunters. More bureaucracy just isn't the answer though.

Shannon

Thumbs down

TV321,

Why is does it seem like you want to be regulated so much for?

How about I propose this....

PROPOSAL XX

That TV321 doesn't propose anything for me to be regulated more than I already am.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

I dont think there should be a mandatory shooting test but I am starting to think that before someone can get a hunting license they should be required to attend a hunter safety course or at least gun safety. Last summer I was sighting in my gun and there was another group at the range also, I was ready to go down range so asked the people if it was clear and they said yes, as I was walking back I saw a guy loading the clip into a pistol while I was still 50yds down range, when I got got back I asked him if he why he was loading a pistol with people downrange and his response was "it is safe as long as I dont chamber a round". At that time I decided to sight in my rifle later.

Default I agree!

I don’t have any plans on submitting or backing such a plan. In fact, I would be for supporting doing away with the requirement for the bow hunter.

If figured I would ruffle some feathers by mentioning this, but I was actually expecting more. Only one of you questioned the archery requirements.

I was hoping that you would have made comments on how people need to should shoot more. I don’t shoot enough! I would say every time I do go to the range I see hunters happy with a 12 inch group.

I was talking to several of the meat processors and they are amazed on the shot placement on the majority of game they receive. I am talking about moose hunters shooting a moose 5 times at less than 100 yards with both the front and rear quarter almost completely ruined. That is plain ridiculous!

My point is/was that more people need to learn to shoot

Alaskamoosehunter - I am not trying to put more regulations on you!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    I don’t have any plans on submitting or backing such a plan. In fact, I would be for supporting doing away with the requirement for the bow hunter.

If figured I would ruffle some feathers by mentioning this, but I was actually expecting more. Only one of you questioned the archery requirements.

I was hoping that you would have made comments on how people need to should shoot more. I don’t shoot enough! I would say every time I do go to the range I see hunters happy with a 12 inch group.

I was talking to several of the meat processors and they are amazed on the shot placement on the majority of game they receive. I am talking about moose hunters shooting a moose 5 times at less than 100 yards with both the front and rear quarter almost completely ruined. That is plain ridiculous!

My point is/was that more people need to learn to shoot

Alaskamoosehunter - I am not trying to put more regulations on you!
    Good,

Glad to see your on the winning team here.

I agree there are tons of idoits out hunting, shooting and have acsess to firearms. But on the same token, there are even more driving. Idiots are a danger to us all....No matter what they are doing.

My take on this is: If some jerk shoots the crap out of his moose...and
    as long as he packs it all out and does the right thing after the shot...Who cares? He's just robbing his/her family out of good meat by being an idiot.

I process my own meat, I take extra levels of care doing it so my family and I have good meat. (I will refuse to take meat from people for this reason...Except hunting partners I know.)

On the other hand if wasn't idiots and crackheadsand I wouldn't have cheap entertainment on COPS.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default You have to be kidding.

tv321,

Please step away from the keyboard....................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast