Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ligthtweight Rifle!!!

Default Ligthtweight Rifle!!!

Okay I have written Kimber off my list for a new rifle for the wife. I got a 270 WSM that was a lemon. So we went back and had a look at the.
    Browning Mountain TI in 270 WSM or
    Remington Model 700 Alaskan Ti in 270 WSM

So folks out of these two which would you get??? She likes the Browning the best. She wants a light weather resistant rifle that will provide good accuracy.

Thanks

Steve

If she likes the browning, get her the browning. It will be for her.

Nothing wrong with browning or remington.

What was wrong with your 270 WSM Kimber?
    Has your wife looked at the new Ruger Hawkeyes? The ss .308s are sweet.
    Tennessee

Why don't you take her shopping and let her choose what feels best to her. You say she likes the Browning best, then that might be the one. I've never owned a Browning rifle but they do have their fans, so I suppose they are fine.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Steve check your private messages!

You might want to check out the Weatherby ultralight in 270 Winchester. You can pick up a new one for around $1,100. It feeds a whole lot smoother than my Kimber montana. One inch groups to boot with factory ammo.

Either one. You will win if you let her pick. My wife shoots a 300 wsm in a mod 70 ultimate shadow SS camo. Yes she picked it. Of course I showed it to her.

My vote goes for the Remington. A little pricey, but more smiths work on them and more aftermarket parts are available than almost any other rifle (with the exception of Mouser's and possibly Winchesters). Plus practically all accuracy smiths prefer Remingtons (or custom actions). Also, I'm willing to bet that the Remington will hold its value better than the Browning.

If she likes the Browning, that's the one to get (IMHO). If my wife preferred one rifle over another, but I bought the one she didn't prefer...well...that would be trouble from the get go for me...

Are you hesitant to buy a Browning? If so, don't be. They are excellent rifles. I own several A-Bolts (I also own Remingtons...so I'm not being anti-Remington). I have not had a bit of trouble with any of the A-Bolts, and they are accurate. Each one gets lots of field time up here every year, and I have never had a failure. Also, your wife will probably find that the bolt on the Browning is easier to work with a scope mounted, compared to the Remington...60 degree lift...hand clears the scope better while holding the bolt handle and cycling the action.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    What was wrong with your 270 WSM Kimber?
    Ditto, I'd like to hear why it was a lemon.

Default Kimber Montana 270 WSM

The Kimber had a feeding issue, was sent back to the factory. They remachined the feed ramp to improve feeding and while at it they let the tool take a big V out of the right side rail. Now every time you cycle the bolt you can feel it hang on the damaged rail. The gun did feed well but the bolt was so sloppy that it would rattle in the action with a round loaded. Not what I expected from a rifle going for over a grand. My only concern with the Browning is the design of the safety.

Steve

They sent that rifle back to you from the factory with a notch missing on the rail?

What was that converstaion like with them when you noticed that upon receipt?

I got this rifle from gunbroker, I found out the history after I got the rifle in my hands. I have been told by the FFL holder that I use that it is common to find problem weapons this way. A lesson learned for me. I have sent it back and I will see if I get a refund. I really liked the rifle and would have taken it to a smith if the rail had not been damaged. I'm sure if you have a good one they are awesome. Just not willing to buy another without touching it first.

Steve

That sucks about your Kimber. Been there done that with a rifle for the little woman. My thinking was to get her into a caliber that she could handle and shoot well, and if it came down to it, deal with a bear, so it was .270. I have never been a 270 fan but I decided on it anyways. I first purchased a Montana in 270 Win (she didn't like the long action version). Replaced it with a Montana in .270WSM (actually had one of the good shooting and functioning ones). The Kimber in .270WSM fit her well, but she didn't like the muzzle blast and rise with the light barrelled short magnum Kimbers, and the feel of the synthetic. So, she picked out a Rem 700 LSS mountain in 280Rem (intended on getting a 270Win, but wasn't in stock). 280Rem was better, far as I'm concerned because I also shoot a custom in that caliber. She prefers the feel of the laminated stock and seems reasonably content, so were both happy. Anyways after considerable time and expense she has the rifle she is pleased with, in hindsight, I realize I should have took her to town gunshopping in the first place. Between the Browning TI and Remington TI if you are serious about spending that kind of $ you are getting an expensive light rifle. The Browning comes in at about 1/2 pound lighter then the Remington. The new 700 Alaskan TIs I prefer because they have the light fluted varmint weight barrels. I have one in .25-06 as my dedicated wolf rifle and it is a keeper. You will probably be able to find the Browning in stock somewhere. Good luck finding the 700, I waited eleven months for mine on order.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I got this rifle from gunbroker, I found out the history after I got the rifle in my hands. I have been told by the FFL holder that I use that it is common to find problem weapons this way. A lesson learned for me. I have sent it back and I will see if I get a refund. I really liked the rifle and would have taken it to a smith if the rail had not been damaged. I'm sure if you have a good one they are awesome. Just not willing to buy another without touching it first.

Steve

Oh, okay that I can understand. I have often wondered about some of those reduced price rifles on GunBroker and Guns America. Guessing there must be something up. That sucks Steve and its a shame that happened since I know you were excited about the purchase for her. I wouldn't discount another Kimber that you can put your hands on unless of course Momma has bad juju over it. I have read about folks having weird stuff wrong with their Montanas but on teh flip side theres an arsenal of hunters that love theirs about like I do mine. Cant honestly say my money could have bought me a better rifle in any way, shape, or form.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Okay I have written Kimber off my list for a new rifle for the wife. I got a 270 WSM that was a lemon. So we went back and had a look at the.
    Browning Mountain TI in 270 WSM or
    Remington Model 700 Alaskan Ti in 270 WSM

So folks out of these two which would you get??? She likes the Browning the best. She wants a light weather resistant rifle that will provide good accuracy.

Thanks

Steve

You could build a rifle cheaper.

I have a 270win in rem ti, and sold my 7saum ti. I think the rifle you get for the $$ is tough to beat.

I've always never been in favor of buying a used gun, especially when you don't know who has owned it prior. I know you can save dollars but its a gamble too....CK

Default ultimate light rifles

Sounds like you want to get her a light weight mountain rifle for sheep or maybe goat...the 270 WSM is the best choice , however, have you thought about getting her a Custom? look at the Nosler model 48, its light, it looks good, and it shoots sweet!!! another is Basner's "ultimate ovis" rifle also in 270WSM, however it has a muzzle brake, which i don't care for, but it looks sweet....CK

Remington Alaskan Titanium, hands down.

Besdies, isn't the Browning made in Japan?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast