Thread: Cabela's range finding reticle

Default Cabela's range finding reticle

Has anyone used the range finding reticles that are on the Alaskan Guide scopes? It's the reticle with the circles. They look interesting, but may have too much clutter.

I have not used Cabela's scope, but have used an old Herter's scope with the same circles, very successfully. I also have used a Shepard scope on my 30-06, and it is great. But the Shepard was stolen, and it is more scope than I need for a 30-06. I have been looking at the Cabela's scope, as a replacement. Once you learn how to use them, those little circles make range finding easy and quick.

But there is a learning curve, and it takes lots of practice and frequent use to stay proficient with them. One of the best ways is to use a lazer range finder along with the scope. Find a field of cattle, (best to let the farmer know before hand what you are doing), and using the scope make a range estimation. Then use the range finder. After a few times you will begin to understand how to use the circles and how to make range estimates using those circles. Do this two or three times, or till you feel comfortable, before you head to the field. As you gain experience the easier it gets.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default Thanks

Thanks for your response. I haven't been able to find very many people who know much about using that style of scope. I talked to Cabelas customer service and they said it was new enough that they haven't had much feed back yet. It sounds good. I have a range finder and cattle to practice on.