Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sporthill pants, camo vs black

Default Sporthill pants, camo vs black

So I was comparing the two the other day and the camo pants seem a little thicker. They just have a denser feel to them. Anyone else notice the difference? I'm talking about the new camo. I wonder if it's just the dye. But, the tags in pants are different also. I wonder if the material is a little heavier. I tried on a pair of the camo pants and man. They are probably the most comfortable pants I have ever had on period. I'm thinking I'll buy a pair if I can't find a size medium in the older camo. I'll just have to live with the newer darker camo... sheesh..... Think I'll be able to even stand a chance at getting a sheep wearing those daaarrrkkk camo pants ?!?!

I like the feel of the jacket but I think it's overpriced. For that price it should at least have a hood ( and maybe a gold lining!). I like the Sitka jacket design better but man, that 3sp fabric is nice.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

These are the ones I'd look at Perry, I dont like that new camo color at all. I think though fairly plain the older pattern blends with a lot of different terrains. I wore these last year on our sheep hunt and I wore them on Kodiak too. I dig em. Keep your eyes open for a Medium.

http://milemarkersports.com/product....=1651&gender=m

I have both the black and the new camo ones. I didn't buy the old camo ones because they look and feel as though the camo pattern was spray painted on them. I can't tell a difference in the fabric weight, but the new camo ones do feel a little heavier due to the cargo pockets on the thighs. I'm not a believer that color makes a heck of a lot of difference, so black, camo, or the old camo doesn't matter much to me. The thing I like about the new camo ones is they have belt loops for your own belt, verses the built in belt of the black ones, plus the extra pockets.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    These are the ones I'd look at Perry, I dont like that new camo color at all. I think though fairly plain the older pattern blends with a lot of different terrains. I wore these last year on our sheep hunt and I wore them on Kodiak too. I dig em. Keep your eyes open for a Medium.

http://milemarkersports.com/product....=1651&gender=m
    Thanks. Ya. Those are the ones I'd like to have problem is no one anywhere seems to have any mediums left. I even called Sporthill. One retailers website said they had on pair left, I called them and the website was wrong. Oh well, I've been on 3 sheep hunts, gutted 4 rams pulled the trigger on 1 and was next to the shooter on 2 all while wearing solid green pants!

I just thought the new camo pants seemed a little nicer than the new black ones. The black ones I looked at had the cargo pockets and belt loops just like the camo. I do like the cargo pockets on the new ones.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Perry

Are these the ones you are looking for, they list having one pair of mediums?

http://www.steepplanet.com/proddetai...d=1650CAMOPANT

Ya, I called them last week and the website is wrong, they don't have the mediums. Thanks for the heads up though.

I hunted in an early version of the 3sp with no fly zipper. i would cehck out the mammut champ pants, i have found them to be supeior to the 3 sp.

stay warm.

Are the Mammuts windproof? Do they have any stretch to the material?

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Are the Mammuts windproof? Do they have any stretch to the material?
    They are windproof and do stretch. I have been using the same pair for the past two seasons and actually like them better than the sporthills. They are spendy, but fit my long, lanky legs better. I wore out my old pair of sporthills (black ones) and went in to Barneys to get another pair and Bob did not have any that would fit my 36" inseam. He to told me to try The mammuts and I have been pleasantly surprised. If you can find some to try on, I do not think you will be disappointed.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Marmot ATV Pants

If you can find a pair of Marmot ATV pants (I understand they are discontinued) I feel you will be a happy camper. I have a black pair that have survived 3 sheep hunts, 3 goat hunts, a couple bou hunts and a 2 kodiak trips, not to mention many days under waders fishing the Kenai.

They are similar to Mammut in that they stretch and are wind resistant.

I am in search of another pair, or two, myself.

I don't really believe in camo, therefore black will do for me.

Another option is Swazi (www.swazi.co.nz) I do not own any, yet. I have seen some of their pants and tops and like the look/feel. The part that stinks is the cost and the shipping from New Zealand. I have e-mail them several times requesting someone sell their products in the Anchorage area, maybe Barneys will get in on it someday.

Snyd:

I hunted at least 10 seasons in the 3sp, good pants although i don't care for black.

in 2007 i switched to the champ pants for my sheep hunt. i found them to stretch, dry faster than the 3 sp and were lighter in weight. i paid $165 for them , they can be found much cheaper. i have the black, the light gray seems that it would bland in well with the rocks. the material is tougher as well. yes, they are as windproof as the 3 sp.

Lightbulb

Get the matching synthetic Mammut suspenders. worth the $20. A.M.H. has them, Barney's too.

Might have to check out the Mammut pants. I like the fact they have the cordura knees and they come in carbon/gray. I just emailed them to see if they give Pro Deals to National Ski Patrol. Sporthill does so I can get a pretty skookum deal. I'm not to interested in spending 200 bucks for a pair of pants. I'd go half that though. For years I have worn army uniform dress pants! The green ones with the permanent crease. They are 60% polyester and 40% wool. Pretty tight weave, dry fast and are only 7 bucks at Value Village! But, my last pair is getting a little thin so I figure I'll treat myself to something better now. And I sure like the feel of the stretch pants that give.

Thanks guys.

I looked at the Mammut Champs and theres just no way I can spend $200 for a lightweight pair of mountain pants, not because I cant afford it but simply on principle. There not enough value in the deal. Lots of other great options out there that are a better value.

Been wearing my Xmas gift Sporthill pants around the house for the last 3 days...man are they comfortable. Only concern is that they are going to be too hot during August. My thermostat runs hot and these pants are lined...anybody find them too hot for temps above 40?

Quote Originally Posted by gbt View Post
    Been wearing my Xmas gift Sporthill pants around the house for the last 3 days...man are they comfortable. Only concern is that they are going to be too hot during August. My thermostat runs hot and these pants are lined...anybody find them too hot for temps above 40?
    Which ones did you get?

I find them very warm during sheep season but work great for September and after. Check out the Sitka Mountain pants, the camo pattern blends in great in the rocks and the fabric keeps you cool in the summer/fall and warm in the colder months. I just got the 90% Jacket for Christmas, the wife was very good to me this year and I can't wait to wear them this spring.

Snyd -

I got the old style from Mile Marker.

I've been eyeing the Sitka stuff...seems pretty skookum. I would have bought the mountain shirt the last time I was in Anchorage, but Sportman's didn't have my size (I think they only had 2 or 3 in stock). Anybody else carry them in Anchorage?

Ya, those are the one I want if I can find a size medium left on the planet.

gbt, Marc Taylor has them in his store, Wiggy's Alaska! on old Seward.
    Snyd, those old style camo Sporthills are almost gone, even Mile Marker only has L and XL left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast