Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribou rifle for youths

Default Caribou rifle for youths

I'm taking my teenage daughter on a caribou hunt this coming fall and I am looking at getting her a decent rifle for the hunt...

I have hunted Bou with as little as a 22-250, however I'm not sure what caliber may be the right balance for a small bodied shooter and enough "umph" to adequately knock down a bou...

thoughts or suggestions?? thank guys.

Greg

.270 or .243 maybe?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Get her a H&R or New England Firearms .223 or .243 combo single shot break barrel with a 20 ga barrel for tundra chickens. I bought one for my son and he had a blast with it. I used it a lot as well. Cheap and EZ to use and will take a beating.

Steve

Default 300 savage

I got a hand me down lever action 300 savage from my grandma when I was 9 yrs old. Took my first sitka blacktail with it at age 11, and my first two caribou with it at ages 12, and 13. I was a real scrawny little guy, so it couldn't have kicked to bad. I use a 300 win mag now, and that thing would have ripped my shoulder off back then.

Other good guns would be a 32 special or a 270.

My 10 year old daughter used a H&R Ultra rifle in 308 Win to kill her first bou. The rifle is a good deal. I bought it in 243 win and sent it to H&R to have other barrels fitted to the action. I paided about $250 for the rifle and $85 per barrel (308 and 223). Accuracy depends on the load - the 223 is a tack driver, both the 243 and 308 are about inch depending on the load. Nice rifles for the money. They are a bit on the heavy side but that helps with the recoil. The great thing about getting 223 barrel - cheaper to shoot and the recoil is mild. Then come hunting time switch barrels and verify zero and have fun.

I would recommend an all around caliber that is capable of taking caribou and moose.

It needs to have the "umph" with low recoil and good bullet selection for any occasion.

7mm-08

Flat shooting, capable, compact, light and "umph"!

Ruger makes a real nice compact rifle.

Good luck...

Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default Rem. Model 7

I got a rem. model 7 in .308 Win. when I was 13. Its killed quite a bit of game. I've moved up to a .338 for moose and grizz, and the lil lady has kinda taken it over. But you better believe its gonna be my choice for the next years sheep hunt.

How about a .260 Rem. in the Kimber Montana model?

Default youth gun

I have always owned Remingtons, but bought my daughter a Ruger youth model 260 several years ago. She is now 20 and still loves the gun.

Default 7mm08

I got my daughter a remington youth rifle in 7mm08 when she was 12 she still uses it. I killed a big bull moose last year with it. I am not fond of remingtons but it has been a good rifle and the 7mm08 is the perfect caliber for caribou. good luck!

I also highly recommend the Remington Model 7 Youth in 7mm-08. My wife is 5'0", and that gun is just a dream to shoot for her. The size is great, there is almost zero recoil, and the 7mm-08 is a perfect caliber for caribou. Heck, when she's not coming along I'm sure I'll borrow the gun as well.

I have a 25-06, the 117 gr.bullet is flat shooting and low recoil. It works great for me and I would absolutely reccommend it. I have been told that smaller framed people tend to "roll with" the recoil whereas larger people don't move as much and end up absorbing more of the shock, or kick of the recoil so with practice she should be O.K. with whatever she shoots.

.243, .260 or 7mm/08.
    Caliber choice is not as important as shot placement or bullet type.
    Girls usually turn out to be deadly shots because they listen better. Use the lighest loads possible for practice and the heavies only for hunting.
    Tennessee

Here's another vote for the 7mm-08. We picked up a Weatherby Vanguard last year that came with both a youth and adult stock. My 11 yo is able to handle it with no problems.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Thumbs up

243/6MM or the 7mm/08 or the 270 wsm

I would say 243, but I think for more versatile and if she doesn't mind a Long action: 25-06, short action 260 (if you are a handloader), 7-08 if not. Second thoughts get the 7-08 has more potential for heavier bullets to pursue other game species.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

You will get as many differant openions as you get responders to the question as to which gun or cartridge. They all have valid points, some good, some flawed. You have to sort out what will work in your particuler situation.

The most important thing, has not been touched on. PROPER GUN FIT!!!!!!
    If the gun does not fit her, she will not like shooting it. Questions you need to look at are. How big is she? Has she been shooting already? The stock will either need to be cut down or changed to a youth stock, unless she is an exceptionally tall teenager.

When my son was five years old his mother (a certified NRA shooting instructor) taught him to shoot with a little Chipmunk .22RF. At the age of 10, I bought him his first hunting rifle, a NEF Handi Rifle in .243. I also ordered him a youth stock to go on the gun. After changing the stock I added a leather riser to get his face up to the level of the scope. He shot this gun exceptionally well. That winter my wife comendeered my T/C Contender, she ordered a youth stock from T/C, and a carbine barrel. Later that winter, his mother sent his NEF back and had a 45-70 barrel fitted to his action. When he turned 12 I ordered a synthetic youth stock for an old Savage 110, in 30-06, I had lying around. Today he still has that 30-06, and the Handi rifle. His mother often borrows one or the other, since they fit her well also.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

rifle fit will be more important than caliber. And a good recoil pad.

My wife started shooting a 308 win that had a hard pad and did not fit her well she thought it kicked too hard. Now she shoots a 300WSM that fits her better and has a good pad and she loves it.

257 Roberts
    25-06
    7mm-08
    338 fed

Probably a couple I missed, but all of these are very nice youth cartridges.

270 WSM kicks like a mule! noy sure if you want to give a kid a short mag...just my take....CK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast