Thread: .223 load information

Default .223 load information

I have a .223 that I am starting to shoot again and was just wondering what some of your favorite loads are out there. I usually use imr 4350 for my other rifles but couldnt find any info for that powder for my .223. So i would appreciate your opinions on other powder choices I am looking to do some predator hunting with it is why I ask.

I also have a few questions on hide damage, first of all my understanding is that bullet speed will do the most damage on a hide so a slower travelling bullet of the right style (probably not a hollow point style) would do less damage than the same bullet travelling at faster speeds is this theory correct? If so would it be a good idea to stay under 3000 fps?

And recently I have heard of two theorys on hide damage in regards to some say the bullet should enter and exit as cleanly as possible ( hence a full metal jacket type of round) and the other theory is that the bullet should enter then expand rapidly to make alot of internal damage and then not exit ( like a ballistic tip type of round) what do you guys think?

Thanks for your time and any input you have.

Default What size predator?

I can't offer you advice on .223 loading since I'm still shooting factory ammo out of mine, but you may face different decisions for bullet style and performance depending on the size of predator you're hunting.

For fox, I doubt you'll keep the bullet inside the animal. I never have anyways. For that reason, I've more often used FMJ on fox (red and arctic) with minimal pelt damage. I made a serious mistake on one red when I shot it with 40gr v-max bullet, and to make matters worse, I shot it at only 50 yards. A wasteful mistake that I'll never make again.

If you are going for coyotes though, you can keep the bullets inside them because of their greater size. I still wouldn't use a v-max or similar high frag bullet because they can "blow up" on impact, but hollow points should stay inside them. I haven't found FMJ bullets to be as accurate as the quality hollow point ammo. So, if you're planning on shooting critters bigger than fox and bobcat, you might get some better accuracy if you don't use the FMJ bullets.

Let me move aside so some folks can give you some reloading info.

There is no "magic" bullet for fur. There are just too many variables. To determine the best bullet first look at what distances you will you be shooting. That narrows down the velocities at which a bullet will impact the animal. You also have to decide which "camp" you are in about bullet performance. Do you want to try and completely avoid any exit wounds, or do you want a controlled-expansion bullet that will usually pass through, with a fairly small exit wound? The bullet must also expand fast enough to drop them on the spot. A wounded fox might not be recovered. Most fur hunters go through this whole process, hoping to find the perfect bullet. IMHO, it doesn't exist. Lately, my preference is for a bullet like Nosler ballistic tip in cartridges in .224 caliber. I have used a lot of different cartriges up to and including 220 Swift (not recommended) and have settled on the .17 calibers - .17 Remington and now .17 Fireball as being most fur friendly for fox. For .22 caliber the Barnes varmint grenades although expensive might work well. In fact for fox with the smaller .17 cartridges, you have to use very frangible bullets to anchor the animal....the impact velocity is just too slow to do the job with the tougher bullets. They will kill them, but they may run some distance before dying. I am usually more concerned about accuracy then terminal performance. Accuracy and potential richochet make FMJs out of consideration for myself. Just some things to think about when selecting bullets for fur. Bottomline, a needle and thread can work wonders.
    Last edited by Timber Smith; 12-31-2007 at 02:21. Reason: spelling

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I'm sorry it is late, I'm tired, but, I can supply you with tons of load data tomorrow if you want it.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I shoot 52 gr Sierra match kings behind Varget. Been using the Sierra for over 30 years and for me is the best comprimise in accuracy and pelt damage. I try to shoot behind the front sholder, low and ususally have a 1" hole to sew up. I use dental floss. Never had a fur buyer dock me for the repair. Good luck. J.

Smile

I use 2230 and 52 grn sierra match bullets for amazing acuracy.
    same powder and 55 grain V max shoot very well also.
    Reloader 10x shot pretty well also with the same bullets. I think if I was going to shoot for minimal pelt damage I would try the Barnes Tripple shock or a cheap solid but I think the triple shock would be better for accuracy.

Default thanks for the info

Thank you all for your input i should of clarified the predator in subject since we have a few to choose from up here, primarily I'll be targetting fox and coyote.

The sewing needle is a good point something I don't like to do but would rather do instead of suffering accuracy problems or not quickly taking down the critter and having one slip away. Interesting idea, muledeer, I have used the Barnes triples shock successfully in my .280 and .338 and love it. I used to use Nosler partitions then a friend told me of his switch to the tripleshock and how his accuracy improved so that grabbed my attention and I immediatly noticed an increase in accuracy out of my .338 and now I'm hooked. (Barnes also has a really cool informative cd on the triple shock that is free from them and is good to watch as well) But I hadnt thought of them for small game but it makes sense especially if my .223 likes them.

As far as powder, I have heard Varget come up many times since Ive been doing my homework and am thinking of trying it does anyone have any recipes they like to start with. I have a speer realoading manual downstairs with my loader I will check it out but just curious as to what anyone else likes. It always helps to have a starting point. I have also heard alot of good things about the sierra match king bullets I,ve never tried them myself but I do have 69 gr. Nosler hpbt's on hand that I could use up. I just wish I could buy bullets and powder in smaller sizes than the standard 1 lb and 20 to 50 bullet increments to see if I like them before I spend more money, know what I mean. I guess I will always use up the powder some day and maybe the extra bullets I have laying around will be put to use by my boys when they get old enough. But it starts to add up when your trying something new until you find what works-all part of the fun though right! I sure enjoy shooting animals with the rounds I make myself. Enogh for now thanks for listening and helping.

I like hodgon 4895 with either nosler balistic tips or hornady vmax in 55 gr. The 4895 is an extruded powder which is supposedly more temperature stable then most powders. That way I can have a hot load that is safe in the winter and in the summer.

22 gr of IMR4198 and the 50 Gr or 52 Gr Sierras seems to shoot well in all my guns, to include fast twist AR15's, the 788's and all the other bolt guns I have tried. If the gun will not shoot that load well, it is the gun, or me.

The AR15's I have all like 23.8 gr RL15 and the 77 Gr Sierra or Nosler. Similar charges of Varget do work well, as does N140. One likes the Hornady 75 best. All are fast twist barrels.

Of course, verify all loads in you loading manuals.

Little brother killed 30+ coyotes last year alone. He is using the same 788 he used 20 years ago and I'm still loading the same ammo for him. His Remington likes 55 grain Hornady spire points on top of 28 grains of WW 748.

I recently picked up one of those cheap Stevens 200's for the purpose of riding behind the truck seat. It also likes this same load. I killed two coyotes with it last weekend, both between 150 and 200 yrds broadside...Little bitty hole going in and size of a quarter coming out!