Thread: Ball Hitch

Default Ball Hitch

I have been wanting to buy a meat trailer for my 700 Yamaha grizzly and got to looking at the stock ball hitch and was thinking that where it is located I want be able to turn the atv hardly at all because the wheels will hit the tongue of the trailer. Do they make an extension or some thing that will move the hitch out further to be able to turn at a better angle? From the center of the stock hitch to the back of the tires is about 9 inches.

Talking Not sure but

Not sure but, I use the same size ball on the ATV & truck, as I do on the boat trailer, Snowgo Trailer, and ATV trailer. That way I can move any of them with the truck or the ATV. No looking for different sized balls all the time.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The ball hitch size is going to be 2 inches, but the question that I had is how far will I be able to turn the atv without hitting the trailer, when the center line between the tires to the ball is 9 inches?

Not sure I understand but the only way you will hit the trailer is if you are about a 75 degree angle to the tongue of your trailer.
    Most common problems I see with "meat wagons" are that they are equipped with to short of a tongue. Perhaps you should lengthen the tongue instead?
    Hard to get a visual on what you are trying to explain. Could you post a photo?
    Tennessee

Maybe this can explain a little more. See how far back the hitch is compared to the rear tires. Or is this OK?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pilot1995

I just bought a Grizzly 700 and have been wondering the same thing myself. Yamaha makes a 2" receiver that bolts onto the Grizzly 700. One of those and a stinger would get your ball father back like you are thinking. I think they want $85 for it. However, I don't think a ball in the stock mount would be a problem if the trailer togue is long enough. I'm going to build a trailer myself and won't go with the reciever unless I decide I don't like where the ball is.

Check out the accessories on the Yamaha website for a picture of the reciever.

I don't think going forward you can turn sharp enough to get the tounge into the tire. Backing up you can though. That distance looks like all the ones I've been around and never had a problem with it.

Smile

I doubt you will have a problem but you can always have a extension welded on to put the ball further back. But having it to far back will hurt your ability to go up or down steeper hills as the departure angel will be limited.
    It's always a trade off
    Tennessee

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Ball Hitch

You should have gotten a Arctic Cat I use the same ball set up that I use on our truck. Our meat trailer has a short tongue on it and we have not had any issues with it. You might, if you are attempting to make tight turns but other wise it should not too much of an issue.
    Answer to your question though is yes they do make hitches that are a little long then stock. I have gotten them to use on our motor home.
    Best bet is to hook it all up and see just how far you can turn. You just might be surprised.
    Good kuck

My sportsman is the same way. I doubt you will have a problem as long as you are a sensible rider.

My hitch is also close to the axle. I figure it's there for a few reasons. The tongue weight stays close to the axle so the hitch assembly can be lighter/smaller. The torque load on the rear axle is reduced. There's less hanging behind the axle to get high-centered on when riding without a trailer.

I can't turn tight enough to get the trailer tongue to interfere with the tires going forward. I suppose that wouldn't be true with a longer trailer since the pivot point would move further back. For mine, as with any short-coupled trailer, reverse is more difficult, and I can easily jack-knife my trailer. But, if the tongue was longer I'd be jamming the trailer into trees that I can now drive around with the short tongue. I guess if you ride in wide open spaces your tongue and hitch can be as long as you like. In trees, like where I drive, I want it as short as possible so I can maneuver.

You won't have a problem. Besides, with that 700 you can just power out if you have too!!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Mr. Pid hit the nail on head as far as leverage on the axle if you extend the ball too far back. You won't have any problems at all pulling a trailer going forward. Hook onto it and ride it like you stole it.

I have found longer tongues on meat wagons to be more beneficial when going up or down inclines with radical departure angels as it lessens the angle the trailer will take when first going up or coming off the hill. They are also much much easier to back up. I have even gone as far as taking my two existing meat wagons back to the welder to have the tongues lengthened to approximately 36 inches.
    Close hitch point is good, so is a longer tongue length (up to a point).
    Tennessee