Thread: Cowboy Action - Six Shooters

Question Cowboy Action - Six Shooters

Anyone have experience and advice on makes, models and performance?

Ive been looking at Ruger, Colt, Cimarron, & A. Uberti - in .45 Colt.

I have never done any Cowboy Action shooting, but I do own a Doug Turnbull "Cowboy Classic" in .45 Colt for informal plinking mostly. Turnbull gets USFA guns "in the white" and finishes them. It is a fine looking and good shooting revolver.

The new Ruger Vaquero is specifically designed for this game. It is priced about with the imports with a more durable package. You can buy two for the price of one Colt. They are very nice and show a level of fit and finish that was never in the older Ruger revolvers. The 4 5/8" gun is very light and will handle many rounds of normal loads in 45 Colt. It is not the robust and hefty gun of the Blackhawks or old style Vaqueros but it will take a strong load. It would be my first choice for the cowboy action, single action shoots.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default single six

I just got a Ruger single six in .32 h&r, and it is awesome. I have a two blackhawks, one in .357, and one in .45 colt. The .32 is my new favorite, accurate, very little recoil, just a great little gun. The .32 seems to be the new thing in Cowboy action shooting, and I can see why.

Jake

Default Cowboy guns.

The Rugers are the most durable. Having said that I do love my colts. Lately I have been shooting a Scoffield 44-40 that is a neat gun. You will have a huge secletion to pick from.

Default Class

Don't decide on what guns to shoot, until you decide what class you are going to compete in. If you do you'll only be back in short time after a different set of guns. Been there done that.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Thumbs up Cowboy Action - Six Shooters

Initially I was not thinking of competition, but now that you mention it. It sure dose sound like fun! Im really just looking for a solid - reliable fun shooting six shooter (Specific Model:1873 Single Action Army in Colt .45) Id also be interested in matching it with a identical caliber classic lever action. Not only would it be good old American fun, but something nice to pass on to my boys.

- t-w-t what makes you prefer the colt over the ruger?

- Jakec5253 specifically what is it that you like about the .32 caliber?

Ive been leaning towards the Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt so Im very interested to hear your responses?

Thanks for all the contributions men!

Happy New Years!

-Mac

Default .32

James,
    I thought that you were looking for a gun to start shooting cowboy action shooting. That was my reason for recommending the .32 H&R. I shot cowboy action for 8 years, and almost everyone that bought 44mag/45 colt to start shooting, ended up selling them and buying something smaller, most of them .357s that they shot light .38 special loads through. The smaller calibers have less recoil, and decrease dwell time between targets. Although this shooting sport is based on everyone having fun, who doesn't like to win?
    I also agree with brav01, decide which class of shooting you would like to compete in before you buy your guns, as this will prevent selling what you own to get what you want.
    One more thing to consider if you intend to start shooting, is that it is very convinient to have you pistols and rifle use the same caliber ammo. For us, it really cut down on reloading time, and having to worry about getting ammo for all the calibers we needed for the match. Good luck in your search, and good luck if you decide to start cowboy shooting, you will love it.

Jake

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I dunno sh*& from shineola about cowboy action shooting, but I do have an early model stainless Ruger Vaquero .45 colt with a 4 5/8 barrel. Naturally I wanted a bird head grip and spent about $180 buying and fitting one to my frame (and the very next year Ruger offered the Vaquero WITH a bird head grip) I also added the free spin pawl, after market pin, springs, shims etc. and reamed the cylinder bores, then lapped the barrel. I have since put nearly 4000 rounds thru it with no trouble what so ever including nearly 100 rounds of heavy loads like buffalo bore or corbon. You could literally throw this thing into a pile of rocks and sand, pick it up and go to work they are tuff like nobodys business! Compared to a single action army, they are physically bigger in nearly every dimension, and considerably heavier. That being said, if you can tolerate the extra bulk and weight, they are superb hand guns, provided you do a little bit of work to them. Every thing I did, I did myself, with no extra tooling except for the reamer and pilots for the cylinder bores (from midway usa)..and NO you cant borrow them..because I gave them to a gun smith buddy. But you can borrow the polishing stones I used on the cartridge side of the cylinders. At a minimum you will want the free spin pawl, it makes loading and un-loading a piece of cake! They say gun smith required but even a dummy like me can do it! The other nice thing about a Ruger is that you can carry it with 6 rounds, where most of the more authentic revolvers must go with an empty chamber under the hammer lest you risk loosing your family jewels or leg!
    Youve gotten soft. Youre like one of those police dogs whos released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something. Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Colts

I would say mostly nostalgia. There is something about that rampart colt on the side that makes a Colt lover goofy. The Ruger is more morden and stronger. It's kind of like a Harly and a Honda when it comes to motorcycles. I have 2 SAA's, one a 7 1/2" Bbl 44 Spcl and the other a 4 3/4" 45 LC. The 45 has Stag grips and the 44 is dressed in buffalo horn. My next one will be a 38-40. Good luck deciding.
    Last edited by t-w-t; 01-01-2008 at 05:47. Reason: error