Thread: Brown/Grizzly help fall 08

Default Brown/Grizzly help fall 08

I am a non resident but have hunted Alaska for the past 3 seasons. The hunt I thought would never happen now looks like it might. My brother has moved to Alaska and is now a resident. I will be going up to Alaska to hunt with him in the fall of 08. I will be hunting brown/grizzly and was hoping to get some help from someone. I do not have alot of money to spend on air charters, or a guide. I will try to keep a budget at around $1500-2000. I do not have to have a 10' bear, I would be more than happy with a 8' + bear. Does anyone have any good recommendations on a good unit to start looking into. I have heard 16b but have also heard this is very thick and that there are better units to hunt. Like I said I have been to Alaska hunting the past 3 seasons and know the trouble one can get into. I feel I have good equipment and respect for the wilderness in Alaska. Any help or info. would be much appreciated.

There is good access to bears by foot in many areas of Unit 13. I know of several black and grizzly bears that have been taken from areas east of Hurricane and Little Coal Creek. Many of the trails that head east in Denali State Park; Little Coal Creek, Ermine Lake Trail, and Upper Troublesome Creek have good opportunities for bear hunting. There are also many areas that you can hunt off the Denali Highway with good foot access.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default How Late?

How late in the fall are you planning on? Depending on when, floating a salmon stream can be a VERY effective way of seeing a lot of bears. Also, you could plan a float that involves highway to highway drop-off and pick-up, which would keep you within budget. As mentioned units 16 and 13 are fairly easy to access-although the logistics would probably require a plane drop-off, but a highway take-out may be possible.

I would be hoping to time my hunt while the salmon are running. I was thinking middle to late august. I will be hunting with 2 others so any plane, or boat rental cost would all be shared. I was thinking I would like to do a float hunt but didn't have any idea what unit would give me the best chance at a brown. If you were to combine our budgets for 3 it would be around $6000.

Default Aug

is too early, most of the state season does not open till Sept, and keep in mind that dates can be different for resident vs non resident. Also keep in mind that your brother must be with you during the hunt, you can not go off on your own to hunt, He as acting as your guide and must be with you

lookin like 16 is gonna be your best bet and you've got plenty of money for a hunt over in that area, i'd go in in a cub on wheels and hit a river bar, stay away from anything a float plane can land on.
    Salmon will be in over in 16 but not so much in most parts of 13, not a super strong silver run up here, better in the shorter coastal waters.
    all the trips of Beluga lake have salmon in them and lots of bear sign, floating the skwenta might be an option but i'd look over more to big, drift, kustatan rivers or montana bill creek, be prepared for company, it'll be a good time to be hunting that area.
    i said all this but i think 16 is open to bears in august. not many other areas open that early that'd have fish.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Brwnbr hit it on the head.
    Try moose calling, my personal best is calling 3 browns at once. (Everyone should experience this at least once)

Shoot straight, the moose thank you, my dog thanks you & I thank you!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default if I were you

I would float the Clear Creek (13e) drainage in mid July.

upper clear creek is mostly all private land, if you can get in with the floaters that are dropped off by helicopter you'll be ok (joke) , but most of the landing areas upstream of the powerlines are all on private land. it can be done but quiet a few of the bears in that area go nocturnal becuase of the floating that already happens. Bears are there though if you can figure out how to get there. if they aren't on the creek you won't see them, brushy from the edge of the water on in most places.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

It is far enough out that I can move the dates of my trip around if you guys think I am too early. I think some of 16 has an Aug. season, I could go in Sept. if that is better. I thought the salmon ran in Aug. Would you stick with the Aug. time frame or go later. By the way this is good info and definitely getting me off to a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by dangibbs1 View Post
    It is far enough out that I can move the dates of my trip around if you guys think I am too early. I think some of 16 has an Aug. season, I could go in Sept. if that is better. I thought the salmon ran in Aug. Would you stick with the Aug. time frame or go later. By the way this is good info and definitely getting me off to a good start.

Salmon start running in may but the highest concentrations are late july thru october. For the regs go to http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...ations.hunting
    Click on 1Unit 13 and 16 to see the seasons for your self.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I would definitley consider going a little bit later, silvers run in most rivers all the way through October and even into November. Also keep in mind that the hides won't be long in August as it's still a little to warm. There's lots of opportunities on the other side of Cook Inlet and there's some real bruisers over that way. I think an 8+ footer is definitley doable wherever the salmon are running, just be patient.