Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribou and Moose tongue recipes

Default Caribou and Moose tongue recipes

My family just loves making soups out of moose and caribou tongue. It is one of the best tasting meats on the animal, lots of flavor. We have always made soups with it, just wondering what others make with their moose and caribou tongues. Thanks

Smile I remember growing up

in Montana, my grandfather would make us cow tongue sandwiches. It was good, soft, tender meat. We liked them.

Nukalpiaq,

I don't think your going to get a whole lot of responses on this one.

I have never tried moose or caribou tongue. I love eating moose heart though.

Maybe next season I will try it out.....I'll be on my own with this one in my house. My wife loves eating wild game execpt two things (rabbits and moose heart.) Now I sure I can say "three" things now!

(I have no clue why not rabbits....I eat 'em!)

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread just in case.............
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default Traditional Newfoundland Moose Tongue Recipe

You are probably right about the responses alaskanmoosehunter, recipes are far and few between. I just finished an online search and here is the only recipe I could find, sound delicious.

Traditional Newfoundland
    MOOSE TONGUE Recipe

1 moose tongue
    2 bay leaves
    500 ml water
    6 whole cloves
    15 ml salt
    1 onion, chopped
    1 ml pepper
    65 ml chopped celery
    Wash tongue and place in a saucepan. Add all ingredients and simmer for 3 hours until tender. Plunge tongue in cold water and remove skin. Strain liquid and pour over tongue. Chill in a bowl. Slice on an angle. Serve 6 people.

Default memories of grandma's house

My grandma would make beef tounge at least twice a month. She would cook it just like it was any other roast. I do the same with moose tounge and the family loves it!!! My son's gilfriend was over one night and ate with us. She said to me " That was the best roast I ever ate!!" I told her it was moose tounge and she couldn't get over the fact that she just ate the nose licking (and other areas) part of a moose. We told her about the skin coming off of it and she didn't beleive us until she was over the next time I made it. When cooking it like a roast the skin peels off of it when it is done, like a built in timer.

Default don't forget

to take the nose along with the tongue, you can eat that too.........;0)~

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    to take the nose along with the tongue, you can eat that too.........;0)~

No, No.....Tongue is as far as I go.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

I have had Moose tongue. We boiled it and used it as sandwich meat. It was pretty good.

Default Good stuff

I've eaten cow tongue since I was a kid growing up in Southern California, and have eaten moose and caribou tongue several times since moving to AK. It is good stuff. I just boil it till tender. Dice it up, and put it on corn tortillas with freshly diced onions, a sprinkle of fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.
    You can buy a cow tongue version of this recipe at a couple local Mexican restaurants here in Anchorage Taco King on A street and the one off Tudor serves them. They are called “Tacos de lengua”
    I had a hard time convincing my kids to eat them but once tried they soon changed their minds.
    The wife makes a funny face and acts like she doesn’t care for them but once cooked and served she has no problem going for seconds.

The meat also makes a great sandwich.

I had a girlfriend once that just loved my tongue (recipe), but I digress. Ahem, my recipe is just about the same as above, 'cept I use a crock pot. I don't really measure the spices, just throw'em in the pot. Cook it overnight or while you're at work. 6-8 hrs You might have to have somebody tend to it to keep it covered in water. Remove from water and let rest for 10-15 min. Slice the outer sheath only from the top back of the tongue to the tip. The inner meat should come out like a foot out of a shoe. Slice crosswise and serve on tortillas with pico de gallo. Breakfast of Champions. Yum Yum.

OK I'll give it a try next time. Any trick to getting in out of the Moose? (other than starting with a dead one)

One of my friends claims that the tongue is his absolute favorite part of the moose (and he is a chef!) As for now, I just cut them out and give them to my friend, but I'll try one at some point.

Default Method for cutting out a moose tongue

To cut the tongue out of a moose or caribou you just need to flip the head over, make a center cut on the hide from the lower lip to the throat, skin back each side. Then cut along the inside of the lower jaw bones both sides, front to back. Once these cuts are made just pull the tongue through the lower jaw back toward the throat, make a few more cuts at the base and it is detached.
    Here is another thought; if caribou, moose and cow tongue is good eating what about dall sheep, elk, bison, or deer ?

Slow cook in a crock pot all day with various seasonings, let cool, slice up for sandwitches. MMMMMMM, A little horsradish sauce, swiss cheese on sourdough bread, man I am set for a week of good lunches at work! And the co' workers facial expressions are PRICELESS! ..... I get the "your eating what?" "DUDE THAT IS SICK"! O'well, more for me!

I am heading up to 20a to try and get a moose. If i am successful i will bring out the tongue too.

It may be Hollywood lore, but the buffalo hunters of old used to only take the tongues and hides.

Default Method to the madness

Great idea with the Columbian necktie method...I'll try that next time. But my only tip is to take the tongue last so that if you scrape your knife across those awfully hard teeth, you won't completely blow the edge on one of your knives (not like I did that or anything)

I tried it on a hunt. We boiled it the put a honey mustard sauce on it. My uncle liked it. I did not.

Default Pickled Moose tongue

You can also try to pickle moose tongue, after cooking and peeling the skin off as previously described in treads. Simply cube tongue into small bite size pieces, and place in canning jars with allspice, sliced onion, and vinegar/water solution.
    Very similar to pickled eggs procedure - Absolutely delicious.

skin it and fry it like steak
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Boil the tongue (moose, deer, caribou ect) with spices until tender, chill and peel outer skin off, slice thin for sandwiches (with a little horseradish) or fry in a skillet and serve with eggs of your choice. Very tasty!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast