Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arctic oven stove

Default arctic oven stove

just purchased an AO 10 from at&t. does anyone have any experience or recomendations on a stove.

A dual mantle latern will keep the tent warm at temperatures around freezing or higher.
    If you go the wood stove route the stove AT&T sells for the tent works very well. The advantages of their stove is it is small, light, portable and does not cost that much. Disadvantages are it requires you to carry (or find) sand to line the bottom of the stove so it does not burn through and the mild steel rusts very easily. A small piece of fireplace log will roast you out of the tent. If you are in an area where wood can be found to burn then it must be cut in short pieces to fit inside the stove.
    I recently ordered one of these Titanium Ultralight I stoves although it has not arrived yet:
    http://www.fourdog.com/page3.html
    The advatnages of the titanium is is can not rust nor burn out burning wood, coal, or charcoal. No sand needs to be carried. It is extremely light weight and it is a little bigger which is nice for cooking on, something that is almost impossible with the small stove offered by AT&T.
    The obvious disadvantage is the cost. I can offer more information once it arrives.
    Tennessee

Default AT&T stove

I have the AO 10' x 10' with the small stove they suggested and it works well but once it gets down to about -20 or -30 the bigger stove they have would be a better option. I would get the bigger one just to have all your bases covered plus it will take longer wood pieces and be easier to cook on. I think it's called the packer stove, 10"x9"x23" and don't waste your time with the spark arrestor as it clogs up pretty quickly and everyone I know tosses theirs as I did mine. Other than that it's an awesome tent!!

Thunder had some good information as I never used my tent below 0F. And he is certaintly correct about the spark arrestor. They are worthless.
    Tennessee

Default Buddy heater

I have used the artika down to -40. I heat it with a propane big buddy heater. It is easy to control the heat and it will burn about 36 hours with a 20lb propane tank. The heater is indoor safe. The moisture from the heater goes through the white fabric and freezes to the inside of the rain fly. The ice comes off easy when disasembling. I have camped for 8 days straight with no problems.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

I used an oven for the first time this weekend. I was really impressed. It was about -10 out and there was a light dusting of snow on top of the tent fly. Inside it was at least 70 or 80 at the top of the tent.

I would not buy an arctic oven stove. It is way too small to fit anything in. We cut all of our wood short with a chainsaw and it was still about 1 inch too long. I would recommend a slightly longer stove. Aside from that it worked well.

I would like to get an artic oven some day. i will probably make my own stove out of something.

Same advise on the spark arrestor. We had it in and the stove just wouldn't draw, tent filled up with smoke. As soon as we took it off it worked great.

We put a propane burner conversion in our AO stove and it works great (chopping all that tiny wood was a joke). Like said above, the main reason to stray away from propane is the moisture but it doesn't seem to be a problem thus far for us. Super efficient and you can stay warm all night long and just shut it off in the morning. If you didn't want to do this, just go with the buddy heater.

Hey hunt ak, give us a lot more details on your propane conversion if you don't mind. I am very interested in this idea, have been working on one myself.
    Do you have a flame failure device?
    How cold have you used this stove?
    Do you have an AO tent?
    wolfkiller, that is good info on the big buddy. I have thought of that idea too, but worried about moisture, CO, and oxygen depletion. It sounds like at least in the bona fide AO tent you haven't had these problems. Does the Artika have vents to let in new air or something? Would a buddy heater work as well in a smaller AO?
    How cold have you used that setup comfortably?
    Is a 20 lb. bottle running 36 hrs on high or low?
    Also you AO guys, do you need a cot to get some of that warm air under you?
    Thanks for all the great tips. I love this site. WW

Is weight a concern? I have a cylinder stove which weighs about 45 pounds complete. The spark arester is a pain to install but it packs into the stove along with a hot water heater, the nesting stove pipe, the pipe flu and stove legs. There are better stoves for more money that are lighter but I think it is hard to beat for the $$$ as long as the weight/space isn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Walker View Post
    Hey hunt ak, give us a lot more details on your propane conversion if you don't mind. I am very interested in this idea, have been working on one myself.
    Do you have a flame failure device?
    How cold have you used this stove?
    Do you have an AO tent?
    Yes we use it in an AO tent. We've used this setup in, and just a guess, roughly 0 or maybe a bit lower. We dont have a flame failure device but we leave all the vents open and the door cracked also (because it'll cook you out, which is a good thing I guess...). I just got to work but I'll try and get you some pics in about a week if you are interested.

Yes I am very interested. Standing by for the pics when you get the time! Thanks! WW

The Titanium Ultralight stove I ordered came in and it looks great. Very lightweight and it should never corrode. All the stove pipes fit inside the stove as well.
    If anyone is considering purchasing one of these give me a jingle and you can pop over and look at it.
    Tennessee

I have an AO 10 and a friend has an Artika. Both of us have the small stove AT&T sells. Neither of us have burned wood in the stoves. We've always used the fireplace logs. An eighth of one will keep the tent warm for about 3 1/2 hours when it's above freezing. I found a quarter is good for below freezing to about -20. The fireplace logs are nice because on any hunt where I bring the AO weight usually isn't a concern. They cut up fairly easily with a knive and burn easily once lit.

The spark arrestor needs to be modified by removing most of the slots in it. I only left enough to ensure structural stability. Bring a brush along to clean if off once a day. You'll know when it starts to get clogged because smoke will start to back up into the tent. We always cleaned ours just before we went to bed and never had a problem with the smoke backing up.

One of the reasons I use an AO is for its moisture wicking ability. On rainy SE hunts the tent worked really well, but some stuff would still be moist the next day if it got really wet (like socks that had been washed). I wonder if using a wet burn system like propane slows down the dry time at all?

Default M-1950 Yukon Stove

Anybody used the Military Yukon stove in an Arctic Oven tent. Using either fuel or wood?

I went to Glacier concrete in Soldotna and bought a few small firebricks, they are about 4"x8"x1" thick. I line the bottom of my stove with them. They are much easier than sand, and work better too. Cost about 10 bucks.

I use one of these with an Arktika. Also use a battery operated CO detector for all night peace of mind as the manufacturer does not recommend use while sleeping. I used it 4 nights on the haul road the first week of Oct and the CO detector only registered CO when using a Coleman stove to cook with. Beats the hassle or wood and solves the propane moisture issue because it's vented just like a wood stove.

http://www.nuwaystove.com/products/model3000.htm

KRID.....That looks like the way to go. What size propane tank did you have and how long did it burn for? Can you adjust the temp/flow on the control...similar to that of a thermostat?

Oh yeah....Did you order online or is there a local shop that deals Nu-way?

fk107
    Yes there is a temp/flow control. I used about 3/4 of a 20 lb tank in 4 nights with the burner on low. I bought it online; no place in town that I know of. The owner will address any of your questions or concerns if you call. Good luck

glad I found this threadhad a few questions about setting up a stove in the AO. Do you folks use anything under the stove as a spark shield? Flame retardant mat or something similar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast