Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 375?

Default Which 375?

Looking for opinions from people who've shot/owned one of these rifles:

I've narrowed down my choices to either a Remington 700 XCR in 375 H&H or a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger. I really am leaning towards the Ruger, it swings better, and my other rifle is a Ruger, so I'm proficient with the action/safety. The XCR is nice, 4 extra inches of barrel, and the 375 H&H is tried and true with more readily available factory ammo.

Thanks

If I was looking for my first 375 I would go with the 375 Ruger Alaskan, the Ruger 77 Hawkeye rifle is solid and dependable.

The argument about ammo availability is valid and deserves some consideration, but the 375 Ruger is not going away and you will see different ammo manufacturer's pick the cartridge up in the near future.

(Nice to meet you BTW)

I bought the XCR. Love it. Accurate (my best load is .92" for 5 rounds), feeds well and is light to work with. The R3 recoil pad is awesome. It pushes back like a 30-06 with 180's. If I had the cash I would buy one again for the other arm.

Ron

Tough decision, six of one half a dozen of another, I think they are both good choices. Can't go wrong with either. I can't comment on the Ruger, I've never even shot a 375 Ruger, but those who own them seem to like them. Something to be said for 375 + power in a regular action. Time will tell how it will fare against the old and venerable magnum. If I were to bet, I think it is here to stay. I did handle one of those Alaskan model Rugers and I was suprised how nice it was. I've owned a few 375 H&Hs - one Ruger Magnum (beautiful, classic lines, but too heavy, and pretty for Alaska hunting, a Remington 700 KS custom shop 375 H&H w/23" barrel (too light) and a Sako mannlicher stock, 20" barrel (my personal favorite, bought it at Mountain View sports, paid for it with the very first Alaska dividend after surviving a bear attack on Montague Island, I came to the realization that a 7mm Rem Mag was too light a caliber to use in BB country). Flip a coin. Ain't this a great country where we have such choices!

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Call me old fashioned (even old fart if you like), but to me no .375 can match the classiness of the old and plain .375 H&H CRF, except that it would more than likely be a stainless over synthetic for Alaska hunting.

Default Wishful thinking

As of today, Id opt for the Ruger 77 Hawkeye .375 Ruger Alaskan stainless. However, Id like to see Ruger offer the stainless Alaskan with a 23 barrel version - when they do, I am a going to buy one! I like the additional performance in ballistics the 23" barrel provides.

Ultimately, and with the return of Winchester, I would love to see a new Model 70 Extreme Weather stainless .375 H&H with a 24 barrel and rifled sights Id be first in line to buy one of those!!! This same rifle in .338 Winchester Magnum would be great as well for the record.

Thumbs up

I got the Ruger Alaskan last week and it's IMHO the nicest Ruger I've owned, and I've had a bunch of them. Would be an excellent choice.

kingfisherktn

Default And I went with neither!

The more I dug into the issue, the more I realized neither is what I really wanted.

I wanted a rifle for my spring brown bear hunt, and since one day I plan to hunt Africa, a 375 or bigger was in order. If just for the bear a 338 would have been fine (my neighbor was going to let me borrow his), but I didn't want my once in a lifetime brown bear hunt to be with a borrowed rifle. I think it would be nice when I'm old and gone, that my firearms pass on down the line to the kids and have a hunting history (great or small) to go with them.

I wanted something reliable and since I'm no expert, something with a proven reputation.

I decided I didn't really care about stainless/synthetic as much as I thought, and there was something very desirable about a rifle of wood and blue.

1. The Ruger is still new - and while I'm sure it will catch on, as the proud owner of a 7mm WSM, I decided one "ballistically similar to a tried and true cartridge" rifle was enough. Plus I didn't want a 20" barrel. The 375 Ruger African however almost won the decision, but then I looked at my WSM again, and my garage of half completed carpentry products and decided I'm in no position to take up reloading right now.
    2. 375 H&H is proven and widely available, and lots of reloading data for "all around" use (again when I finally get to it ).
    3. I wanted control feed - the Rem 700 is a push feed.
    4. I didn't want a muzzle break (recoil never makes me cringe, but those things do), so a heavier rifle was okay.

In the end the winner is a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 375 H&H (not the American version, I found the European stock a more comfortable fit). Mauser action, great trigger, hammer forged barrel, 5+1 capacity, and beautiful to look at (I know I'm going to cringe for a minute when taking it through that first alder thicket).

Had it mounted with 1-4x Leupold VXII. Can't wait to get to the range!

Uhm........... Get both!

- Clint

Good choice Ucohokie. Go with it. The .375 H&H is a good performer; accurate, adequately powerful, and there is good ammunition available for it. Use it in Alaska and Africa. I have friends that use a .375 for all hunting; sheep, deer, moose, brown and black bear, elk, caribou.....even coyotes. The .375 will do it all. It will do all the above even better if you learn to handload for it and use premium bullets. IMR 4350 has long been a good powder for it.......my choice for heavy bullets at max. velocity. When my son finally got really serious about hunting, I gave him a .375 and 200 rnds. of my handloaded ammunition. He comes back from time to time to get those empty cases reloaded with something appropriate for the next thing he plans to hunt, but to tell the truth, 2 or 3 premium bullets would cover everything he might ever want to hunt with it. You made a much better choice here than a .338. Go with it and don't look back.
    Jack.

Excellent choice in the .375 H&H.
    If you are thinking of a bear hunt in Alaska with that rifle, I would surely get a synthetic stock for it while hunting. I do it, and know a bunch of folks that leave the wood on when in the cabinet or display, but swap to the synthetic when headed out.

Wood warps badly in the wet climate, and synthetic is impervious. Keep the exposed surfaces cleaned and lubed. You will have to be on top of it every night. Believe me, it is something you won't encounter in many places like you do here.

The wood stock will work, but if you decide to keep it on, you must completely seal it. You'll be sorry if you don't if the stock warps and throws your shot off.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Thanks for the advice

I was planning on sealing the stock and be being generous with the on the rifle and action.

Right now I'm planning on using 300 grain Nosler partitions for my bear hunt. If anyone has a better suggestion please share it.

Default Thanks for the advice

I was planning on sealing the stock and be being generous with the Ballistol on the rifle and action.

Right now I'm planning on using 300 grain Nosler partitions for my bear hunt. If anyone has a better suggestion please share it.

The Partitions are a good choice. Another bullet that I highly recommend is the 300 gr. Barnes TSX. I've used the triple shocks in 7mm pretty much exclusively for the last two years and have yet to be disappointed. I haven't started loading for my .375 H&H yet, but when I do, that's one of my main bullet choices I want to work up a load for.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Quote Originally Posted by ucohokie View Post
    ...In the end the winner is a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 375 H&H (not the American version...
    I was thinking exactly the same thing. You made an optimal choice with the CZ. Alaska does wreak havoc on wood and blue steel but that's why they make gun oil. When you pass the rifle on, your kids will know that you actually used it.

Thumbs up 375 Ruger Alaskan

The 375 Ruger Alaskan is really catching on here in Alaska!

I have a 375 Ruger Alaskan one thing about the Rugers is the stocks tend to crack at the pistol grip area. Call Houge and they will replace in free of charge. The African was also cracking.....I suggest a good beding job prior to shooting the African.

I reload mine with RL 15 @ 72.0 with 260 AB and have not experciened a problem yet but I have a extra stock on hand sent by Houge free of charge. For the Free replacement stock for the African you will have to contact Ruger customer Service.

I also replaced the scope rings with Warne QR Matte rings for my Leupold 1.5x5. Very happy with the performance in the 20" barrel getting 375 HH vel. with a 20" barrel.....and groups less than MOA. For a all around load the Barnes 270gr TSX would be excellent for all Alaskan game.

For some reason the CZ in 375HH was also cracking the stock.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/reloads/0710/

I was just at a Gander Mountain, and was scaning the tops of the rifles for any with hard irons to see who had what. The first one, and the only one worth mentioning, was a CZ 550 Safari in .375. I was surprised to see it there. $999. It was very well balanced and did'nt feel the advertised 9+ lbs. The sights (3 leaf ) almost magically drew my eyes to them, much better than my Remington 700 BDL sights. Beutiful rifle! I also think an excellent choice.

Please remember to let us know how it shoots, etc.

Default 375 Ruger or 375 H&H

I just went through this dilema a few months ago. Did alot of research and ended up buying the 375 Ruger Alaskan.

The ballistics are better than the H&H. Why settle for something less?

My .375 Alaskan Is a tack driver out to 100 yards.

Little aggressive on the recoil. Hold it tight and snug against your shoulder.

KatzMO

I like the Ruger alaskan in and I like the Remington 798 safari, interesting rifle.
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...798_safari.asp
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I like the Ruger alaskan in and I like the Remington 798 safari, interesting rifle.
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...798_safari.asp
    I wouldn't be suprised if the 798 Safari has a really rough action like the model 798 when it first came out. At least the barrel ain't 26" long on the Safari.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast