Thread: 338 Remington Ultra Mag

Default 338 Remington Ultra Mag

I've tried the RSAUMs and WSMS, figure it's time to give the RUMs a shot. Thinking about trying one out as a long-range bomber. Specifically interested in the 338 RUM, anyone with experience with 338 RUM?

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I have one and really like it, but my feelings are superficial as I have not gone hunting with it yet.

Do you handload for your 338 RUM?

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Not yet I don't. I have a friend that is chomping at the bit to reload some for me, so we'll see. I am going to have a brake put on mine as the scope hits me in the forehead. So far it has not been a problem, but I really don't like it.

Default 338 Rum

I had a Beretta Mato with syn stock rechambered from a 338 WM to a 338 RUM. Also had the drop box mag s$%# canned and converted to perch belly blind mag to hold 3 rounds down. As you prob know this is a Dakota 97 action and the trigger is a little rough and a lot heavier than I usually utilize. It weights almost 8 pounds which is also lot heavier than most of my rifles and therefore didn't necessitate a brake. It seems to recoil about like a light 06. I have only shot about 100 rounds but it looks like it will prob be another sub MOA shooter for 5 shot groups. I plan to restart reloading for it once I get some trigger work done and it warms up a bit. I don't wear gloves when I shoot so 15 degrees is about my limit.

My dad got me a Remington 700 BDL in .338 RUM Love the gun. Its got some recoil but a break will help that. I have it dialed down to about 2 inches high and 100 yards but a 3 round group the size of a quarter... I did put a good hurt on a coyote at about 250 yardÖ

Default .338 Rum

I tried a Rem. Mdl. 700 XCR in .338 RUM. It would be unpleasant working up a load for it without a muzzle-brake. The barrel is already 26" and one would not want to cut it back because it needs the full length to maintain decent velocity with that humongous powder charge. Adding a muzzle brake would make the barrel 28". I have a .300 RUM model 700 set up that way for hunting big, open country, and it is great out there. In the brush it could make you wish for a little mdl. 94 in .30-30. The model 700s in .338 RUM are amazingly accurate. The one I shot would blow away my .338WMs in a hurry. The .338 RUM is a great cartridge in a great rifle (the mdl. 700). I don't want to pack a rifle with a 28" bbl. through the alaska brush, so I am stuck there. I will probably go back to a .375. They do fine with a 22" to 24" bore and don't usually require a brake. On the other hand, one could install a 2" removable muzzle brake on a mdl. 700 and only use the brake at the range. A few shots fired while hunting would hardly be felt. But still, there's that darn 26" bbl......

Jack

Default Pain is weakness leaving the body

I hear you on the barrel length, ain't relishing the idea of crawling into the alders with that long of a stick. Did it plenty with other long guns like my 358 STA that also needed that extra barrel length. Just for a change of pace, I am seriously considering using a 338RUM for my BB rifle this spring season; if I get it shooting the way I want it this winter. Plenty of time for load development if the shoulder holds out. I don't enjoy shooting the boomers as much as I used to. Definitely will use the muzzle brake off the bench, even though I won't in the field.
    Last edited by Timber Smith; 12-30-2007 at 23:55. Reason: add on

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Thumbs up 338 Rum

I have a Remington xcr in 338 RUM and love it. Im not big on recoil but i really dont see what the big deal is. I put 24 rounds through it the first day at the range and didnt really bother me. Yes it kicks but not bad. My boss hand loaded some 225 barnes triple shocks for me. I was shooting decent groups but he shot a .64 3 shoot group and we left it there. Very very accurate rifle. Since i got it all my other guns are collecting dust. Good luck Hillbilly

Has your rifle been tweaked? That is definitely some good shooting of an accurate rifle and handloads to group like that. I plan on doing load development for 275 gr A-frames, hope I can achieve comparable accuracy. Recoil is subjective, tolerances vary. Everyone has there limitations.

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Default Not tweaked

I just adjusted the trigger and did proper barrel breakin. I really beileve my boss is the key with his hand loads. I dont think it would shoot this good with factory loads. Hillbilly

Setting up the .338 Ultra Magnum and Leupold 8.5 X 25 Mark 4 scope. I am holding a 338 round in my hand to show size of cartridge.
    Photo take by Eric Cartmann, our Mod.

Here is what she will do with box stock hunting ammo.
    http://images26.fotki.com/v889/photo...mington-vi.jpg

Tons more 338 Ultramag pics are HERE

Dang, that gun is HUGE. Good thing you have a truck to haul it around!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I had one of those 338 rums I got in a trade. It came with a box of ammo. After checking out a shell I never could get my self to shoot that gun! It made my 375 H&H look small

My buddy has a Rem XCR 338 RUM, nice gun. Ya, the cartridge is huge. He shoots it off a lead sled at the range and it shoots sub moa at 100yds with 225 accubonds. I've never shot it. He hasn't been able to shoot a critter with it yet though but I'm sure it will do the job!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default 338 Rum

I shot a blackie at 200 yards last spring he never took another step. I guess i would use a lead sled but i think ive learned to shoot better without it at the range. Ill admit the first time i fired it i flinched but after that i was good. Hillbilly

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Dang, that gun is HUGE. Good thing you have a truck to haul it around!
    LOL Yep at 18 pounds she is pretty heavy. I haul it on the gun racks of my Yamaha Grizzly 660 and wife uses her Kodiak 450. I am havie 3 more being built but they are 338 Lapua's on CZ 550 Actions with Lothar-Walther barrels. One is a sporter barrel for hunting and the other two are tactical. Wifey gets one of the tactical guns. HERE

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    LOL Yep at 18 pounds she is pretty heavy. I haul it on the gun racks of my Yamaha Grizzly 660 and wife uses her Kodiak 450. I am havie 3 more being built but they are 338 Lapua's on CZ 550 Actions with Lothar-Walther barrels. One is a sporter barrel for hunting and the other two are tactical. Wifey gets one of the tactical guns. HERE
    Poor Griz.... my Griz only has to haul around a 7lb Kimber

So, let me guess, it's on a turret on that Griz right!!

Seriously though, that must be one good long range shooter huh?

Re: .338 RUM

I am still toying with the idea of getting a .338 RUM. Some of the fellows I shoot with have them and they are accurate with factory ammo and super accurate with good handloads. Senderos are good but are too heavy for me from a practical hunting standpoint. I turned 63 a while back, and I look for every conceivable way to cut down what I have to carry into the woods, because if I shoot an animal I have to carry that plus every thing I carried in, back to the truck. Unfortunately I don't have an ATV, and for some of the places I hunt, an ATV would be illegal anyway. I have just about decided to buy a .338RUM. The Mdl. 700 XCR isn't too heavy, and for extended bench shooting I could get a lead sled or have a removable muzzle brake. I looked at the .375 Ruger, but like the WSM cartridges and RSAUM calibers, it does not respond well to handloading because the powders the commercial loaders are using are not available to us reloaders. I haven't found anybody yet that can get factory velocity out of the short magnums by handloading, and I am sure the same will be true of the Ruger compact magnums. If all you shoot is factory ammo, fine, but that limits a shooter to only a few bullet selections, and if a particular rifle doesn't shoot well with factory ammo, what good is it? The RUM cartridges are what I regard as an honest good deal. They love to be reloaded. They are inherently accurate. It is not too difficult to exceed factory velocities without going overboard on pressure, and they are wonderfully flexible in what loads they like. This is not to tarnish the reputation of short magnums, but they just don't work as well for those of us who can't afford to feed them a steady diet of factory fodder.
    Jack

Me and the guys on the LAS VEGAS M-14 SHOOTERS forum are setting up a designate 1600 yard range here in the desert so I can get them dialed in before relocate up north. I should have a boat load of pics from the shoot I can post.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post

Seriously though, that must be one good long range shooter huh?