Thread: Airplane jig

Default Airplane jig

Anyone out there use airplane jigs with any success for lakers?

I have had success with the airplane jig, but not with lakers, I was catching bows.

Default So...

... you must have been lake fishing for rainbows. Hmmm....
    Did you tip the jig with any kind of bait?

I think the airplane jig has 3 hooks. So be careful about hook restrictions in Kenai, Tustumena, and Skilak lakes. Most people ice fish those lakes within the unbaited, single hook areas of the outlets/inlets. The airplane jig isn't the best for lakers. I have better success with something smaller, not as bright, and less active (easier for them to hit).

Default Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post
    I think the airplane jig has 3 hooks. So be careful about hook restrictions in Kenai, Tustumena, and Skilak lakes. Most people ice fish those lakes within the unbaited, single hook areas of the outlets/inlets. The airplane jig isn't the best for lakers. I have better success with something smaller, not as bright, and less active (easier for them to hit).
    ... the have four: one treble on the bottom, and a stinger hook in back.

I am talking Hidden, where you can fish two lines, multiple hooks and bait (for now).

they work well for lakers, tipped and untipped.

It's all one of my laker buddies uses! I have caught a couple on it, but not with the success he has. I prefer other methods

As for easy to hit, boy I dunno it seems when they want it they hammer it, when they dont want it they'll screw with it. We've had them right below the hole playing around, sure was neat to see. What we are using is quite erractic and they dont seem to have a problem hammering it. Either way they are a blast.

I have run quite a bit of tubes and run it on a back up rod as a spinner bait fisherman would a plastic worm. Works like a charm.

I have some airplane jigs with a treble hook on each wing, a single hook on the body, and another treble as the stinger. 4 hooks, 10 points.

Default I know about those.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post
    I have some airplane jigs with a treble hook on each wing, a single hook on the body, and another treble as the stinger. 4 hooks, 10 points.
    I have a few in various sizes, and in white and flourescent pink. One has some kind of brushy hair behind it. I have never caught anything on either the large or small one.

This is the kind I am interested in:

i use the half oz or 3/4 oz for lakers. They work excelent with a little tip of herring on it