Thread: question on 45-70 Gov loads

Default question on 45-70 Gov loads

Older Trap door reproductions should only shoot 21000 cup..(copper units of pressure )

I was looking at the Black Hills 45-70 that shoot 1250FPS I cant find anyting in reference to the (CUP) they produce.. does anyone that relaods have any ideas on a conversion table.

I have the Rifle but do not have everyting to reload yet so I cant do as of yet.

Define older trap door. Was it made for black powder only? (circa 1870 to 1910) When using smokeless powder in guns made for black powder, IF they are in good condition, you can use loads up to 21,000 psi (not CUP).

Black Hills Ammo will be able to answer your question but I would say that a 400 grain bullet at 1250 fps is at the 21,000 psi limit. That doesn't mean it can be fired in a gun made for black powder. If your gun is/was made for smokeless powder it will be same to fire with the Black Hills ammo. Do you plan to reload black powder or smokeless?
    Last edited by Murphy; 12-29-2007 at 20:36.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Well, I poured thru all of my ref data, and can say with great confidence that any 45/70 load, with any bullet weight under 415 gr (commercial manufacture) that shoots UNDER 1300 FPS will NOT exceed 21,000 CUP and should be fine for your rifle if it is in good condition, head space, etc.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Well, I poured thru all of my ref data, and can say with great confidence that any 45/70 load, with any bullet weight under 415 gr (commercial manufacture) that shoots UNDER 1300 FPS will NOT exceed 21,000 CUP and should be fine for your rifle if it is in good condition, head space, etc.
    Yes, you're right. 400 grains at 1500 fps is about the top limit for a new Trapdoors. They are weak by design and even weaker by wear. Didn't want to risk the gun or shooter. The Remington green box 405 grain load chrongraphed at about 1140 fps from an 18" Marlin Guide gun, it should be ok to shoot in a Trapdoor.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?