Thread: mossberg/maverick?? I need a pump...

Question mossberg/maverick?? I need a pump...

What is the difference between these two?? I know that one is made in the USA and one in MEX, but is the Moss. worth the extra cash?? I'm tryin' to find a reliable pump that can take a bit of a beating (heavily used truck gun) Any other models I should be looking at??

Any info is appreciated, I'm open to ideas!

Thanks guys,

Jon

Default Mossberg

I was in the same spot your in a couple years ago. I went to my local gun shop and looked at the two. I decided to go with the Mossberg, the Maverick was just too cheaply made. My biggest complaint of the Mossberg 500 is that the stock barrel is ported and I just not a fan of ported barrels. I ended up ordering a non-ported barrel from Mossberg. I does just what I wanted - I beat the heck out of it on my 4-wheeler and in the back of my truck and when needed it always shoots.

Woody

I've got a 500 that's pushing 30 years old. No bluing left, darned little finish on the stock. I just squeegie it with steel wool and WD40 when I clean it. I've always treated it like that because I bought it for pure knock around work. It's still ticking and has never missed a lick. If you can give yours harder treatment than I've managed, I bet it will keep on ticking, too.

Default I don't want to start any mossberg bashing...

But, I would rather throw rocks than shoot a Mossberg.

If you want something reliable and can take a beating, repair anything yourself if needed (Which I doubt you would have to do), easy to find parts, will last your lifetime and your kids lifetime, affordable.

Buy a Rem. 870!!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanmoosehunter View Post
    But, I would rather throw rocks than shoot a Mossberg.

If you want something reliable and can take a beating, repair anything yourself if needed (Which I doubt you would have to do), easy to find parts, will last your lifetime and your kids lifetime, affordable.

Buy a Rem. 870!!

I concur...a few more bucks for a quality firearm.

I bought a maverick years ago. No matter what I did in the winter, the slide would freeze up so bad I couldnt chamber another shell. Action completely dry or not. Sold that thing real fast.

Wife uses a mossy 500, nice little shotgun, no complaints. I used a 870 in the military and loved it.

I would forget the mav and go mossberg. Overall, I would go 870.

Get the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870. Both are nearly indestructable, and there have been millions made so you can get any part real easy for them. Not that you'll need any, I've had my mossberg longer than any other gun, and it was probably 20 years old when I got it, takes a lickin keeps on clickin, err goin bang I guess.

I have have owned the same Mossberg 500 for 20 plus years - works great. My Remington 870 is about 16 years old and still good. I won a Maverick at a DU event - the good news is I won it. The quality is very poor. It functioned OK, I never had a issue with it, but I also sold after about a year. For the money you cannot go wrong with either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 express.

Thumbs up Try the pardner pump

I just bought a NEF/H&R pardner protector pump that is a clone of the 870. It seems to function and handle well. 6 round mag tube is a plus. All the internet reviews were very positive. I believe all the accessories that fit the 870 will also fit the pardner. For $159 dollars new at Dick's you can't go wrong.

Long as this thread is still alive, I'll add another 2 cents. While I admire the 870 and own several, the problem for me is that I like them too much. I'm just not willing to do to them what I do to my beat up old Mossberg 500. If the new clone TN Hillbilly is comparable at such a great price and you really prefer an 870, go for it.

I interpretted your original post to indicate that you want a gun to abuse and ignore. For me, that means it has to be a gun you won't feel bad about when the bluing and stock finish are all gone and it looks like someone dragged it behind a truck. Kinda like my 500 looks!