Thread: new to waterfowl

Default new to waterfowl

Any suggestion on what to use for various ducks and geese. Or bird hunting. Its been a long time since I've hunted with a shotgun. I have a mossberg ultimag 835. Thanks

Are you asking about what loads to use, or what kind of gear you need?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by NYarcher75 View Post
    Any suggestion on what to use for various ducks and geese. Or bird hunting. Its been a long time since I've hunted with a shotgun. I have a mossberg ultimag 835. Thanks
    Shot sizes, Steel BB"s, or larger for geese, 2"S for ducks. Make sure that you have NO lead shot shells with you when hunting waterfowl! A pair of rubber hip boots, for shallow water, a seat, cammo a spackle bucket yourself. 2, or three decoys, a plastic duck, and goose call, that ,blows when whet. A copy of the REGS, state, and federal. Cammo headnet, and gloves, some type of clothing that blends with the marshes, ponds, woods. Be prepaired to hunt in the rain/ wind/cold, for ducks, and geese these are the best days! You can always add more equipment later on, but can get by with these. Small game lic. & waterfowl stamp, you will also have to regester with HIP. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I remember getting into waterfowl hunting and at first it was a little frustratiing because I was by myself and my dad despised duck hunting because he heard that the hunters are always wet and in miserable weather and rough conditions on gear. I posted on other boards and everyone has their two cents to add, some contradicting others, but the best way to learn is to find someone that does it. When I was working on charter fishing boats I met up with people that duck hunted like it was a religion and they taught me A LOT. A year later when I got dialed into the sport and found my own honey holes I took my dad to show him what duck hunting is all about and man was he excited when he shot a limit that day, even though I think I was smiling bigger than him.
    I work in Cordova for the most part in the summer and fall and would be more than willing to take someone out there to knock down some birds if my schedule works out a little better than it did this year. I have all the gear except for another pair of waders and a coat. The season is only 9 months away and I can't wait.
    Cordova is a darn good duck spot. You may have seen the photos that RingKing posted of his hunts that would make any duck hunter drool. Enjoy, once you get started, you'll be hooked.

Try out the MAX-4 camo pattern. I blends in with the marshes out here very well. I would advise getting neoprene chest waders, if you are walking through the marshes and trip you will be glad you have them, also if you need to retrieve a bird, you can get out there better. Get some decoys, If you want to go cheap, get a dozen Flambeaus, the paint will chip after a while, especially if you are putting them in decoy bags, but they are good decoys to start out with. If you want some decoys that are going to stand up to a little abuse, go with the greenhead gear decoys. They are more realistic looking, and can stand up to some getting banged around. They are a little on the heavy side though. The Haydel dr-85 is a good duck call to start with, it blows when wet, and has a really good sound. I think the best thing you can get for duck hunting is a well trained retreiver. They will keep you company in the swamp, you will lose less birds, and they are always doing something to make you laugh (or something to be a pain in the butt). Finally do what Waldo said, find yourself a duck hunting buddy, and have fun.