Thread: Omega with 25 acp breech plug conversion

Default Omega with 25 acp breech plug conversion

Has anyone had any experience with the 25 acp conversion vs. 209 primers? We found a website that declares them to increase accuracy. Looking for some real life testimonials.

My son just bought a used TC Omega on Gunbroker and it came with both.

Default I think it's a toss up

My buddy has a 25 acp breech plug on his Encore muzzleloader. He likes it because it's a bit cleaner. That is, he doesn't get as much fouling around the breech plug area that 209 primers leave. But I think the newer muzzleloader-specific 209 primers (like Clean Bores) are much better at that than the regular 209 shotgun primers.

As for accuracy, I don't think he can tell either way. My experience with my Omega is with the right powder / bullet combo, there isn't much else I can do to improve accuracy. The load I'm using now if incredibly accurate at 100 yards, so I don't see much need to tweak things.

I think it was the PR Bullets website where I read about the 25 acp primers being more accurate because the reduced pressure of the ignition doesn't lift the seated sabot off the powder like 209 primers do. I think that was their reasoning anyways. Personally, I thought they were splitting hairs. But, if it works for them, more power to 'em.

If your son wants to experiment, have him try both set-ups. Would be interesting to hear if it makes a difference in his gun.

Default First deer with it

Here's a picture of Jonathan's first deer with it using the 209 primers. The next morning he shot another doe - 2 shots, 2 deer. He was home for Christmas break from the Naval Academy and he spent a lot of time bowhunting and muzzleloading. He misses the time in the woods in the early fall, but makes up for it when he is home. I just miss him. Not quite the same hunting alone when I am used to having one of my boys along for the last 12 years.

This summer I will test the 25 acp against the 209 primer and report my findings.

Thanks for this forum, it helps me pass the time since my favorite hunting partners have other commitments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glad to have you aboard, and congrats to you and your son.

I'm really curious about that 25 ACP priming. I stopped buying inlines even before 209's came along, so I'm really out of date but always interested. Is it a full-fledged cartridge, bullet and all, a primed case, or simply a blank?

I'm not anti-inline so much as in love with traditionals, and especially small calibers for small game. I have long insisted that the inline companies are missing the bet in not putting out small game guns due to the waterproof priming advantage of 209's and ease of scoping. But Knight put my conviction to the test when they introduced their 32 caliber. I was all hot and bothered to get one when I first heard about it, that is, until I discovered the price. Sheesh! Talk about killing a market before it starts. If CVA or Thompson could put one out in the $250-300 range, I think it would stimulate some interest.

Default 25 acp

It is a primed 25 shell. The gun came with the additional special breechplug for this, Lee hand primer, and a slew of empty 25 cal shells. I just need to buy some small primers and try it out. I was just on the gunsamerica sight and a guy has an Omega for sale with the conversion that he is selling, and he says his next gun will have it too. He must be convinced. Claims it is as good as a 7mm out to 200 yards. Kinda' makes it sound unsportsmanlike to use in the blackpowder season, doesn't it.

I have always been intrigued by the muzzleloading thing and thought it would be cool to hunt birds and small game with a muzzleloading shotgun. Sure can't find many smokepole shotguns or much info on it though.

You can get single 12 gauge barrels for a number of muzzleloaders with removeable barrels, and if I'm not mistaken Knight even makes one. Lots of guys use them for turkey in turkey country.

Pedersoli makes dandy doubles in 20, 12, and 10 gauge. Cabelas sells them. They're no longer made, but back in the late 70's and all through the 80's I hunted with a double 12 ML from Navy Arms. With the right loads I used it on snowshoe hare, ptarmigan, ducks, and even on pheasant on two trips to warmer country. I let it go when steel shot requirements for ducks finally came along up here, and I've been kicking myself ever since. Negotiating on a replacement right now, as a matter of fact.

The last two years before steel spoiled my fun I did all my duck hunting with it. Just move the decoys in a bit closer or work harder and get closer for jumps and it would do the job. Nice thing about duck hunting was you generally had plenty of time for reloads between flights. I never did big game hunt with single patched round balls in it, but I tried a few rounds though it. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but others have figured it out and use them more or less like slug guns. I also tested some buckshot loads, and that kind of appealed to me for close cover, but I never got around to trying it on game.

I will probably get one one day. Not too interested in the interchangeable barrel type though.

Sounds like your taste in shotguns runs pretty much parallel with mine. Here are the Pedersoli doubles at Cabelas. They're available from other sources, too.

I like the looks of that gun, but 1/2 price would be nice. Cabela's needs a blue light special on that to get in my price range.

I've seen them used on the web in about that range. The guy I'm dickering with was asking five bills for virtually NIB, so they're around when you start looking. I'm not too thrilled by the screw-in chokes (my old Navy Arms double had none), but the tradeoff for chrome lined bores seals the deal for me. Reportedly the chrome lining allows you to use steel shot. I'll still double check directly with Pedersoli, tho.

Default chrome lining?

Let me know what you find out on the chrome lining. I do like my waterfowl hunting too.

Default Cabelas SxS 12 gauge

I have the Cabelas SxS percussion shotgun you're talking about. Considering selling it actually. I've shot steel out of the barrels with no problems, at least none that I could detect. Although I made sure never to shoot steel out of a barrel with a full choke in. The public land I hunted in the lower 48 required the use of steel shot, for all small game and waterfowl. I bought mine directly from a Cabelas store when they were on sale, still paid a good bit for it.

If you decide to sell it, let me know how much.