Thread: Permission for new ATV

Smile Permission for new ATV

The wife has given the ok for a new 4-wheeler. I currently have a Honda Foreman ES. I really like it but I am going to look beyond my comfort zone as the Honda brand has always been good to me.

I am looking for one that has a dump bed or larger rear rack to provide more carrying capacity. 450CC or bigger and of course 4 wheel drive.

Any thoughts from you Polaris, Arctic Cat and other brand owners with ideas and suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks, Shane

Quote Originally Posted by MyKC395 View Post
    The wife has given the ok for a new 4-wheeler. I currently have a Honda Foreman ES. I really like it but I am going to look beyond my comfort zone as the Honda brand has always been good to me.

I am looking for one that has a dump bed or larger rear rack to provide more carrying capacity. 450CC or bigger and of course 4 wheel drive.

Any thoughts from you Polaris, Arctic Cat and other brand owners with ideas and suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks, Shane
    Shane, I had a Suzuki King Quad for 10 years and when I upgraded I got a Yamaha Grizz 660.....as far as rack space it is about the same as most wheelers....I found that the automic trans was very nice...I thoughtI was hooked on using the gears but its nice not to have to worry about shifting...the new 700 grizz with the steering assist is great....that will be my next up grade....

I ahve a Polaris 500 X2. Of course it has the dump bed but I have never used it...yet. I haven't had the need to. If you anticipate the need to use a dump bed I would recommend the X2. The only thing about the X2 bed I DON'T like is there are few accessories for it. Most of the lock and ride stuff from Polaris is for the other sportsman models because they have flat racks. It has enough power to haul me and HouseHold 6 around now problem. It's a fat pig when it comes to mud. I've been stuck at least once everytime the wife is on the back. With the extra weight, it just sinks in the mud. I just put new mudlite XTRs on it, so maybe that will help. Hope this helps you make a decision. Here is a pic.

Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

After being on a Honda since I was 11, I am VERY satisfied with my '07 Griz 700.
    EricL

Default impressed with arctic cat

My wife has a 06 arctic cat 400 with the dump bed. It gets great fuel mileage. But the best part is the suspension its amazing. A buddy and I had to go cross country to recover a cow across from donley dome in oct. He followed with his Honda and watched how well I rode over obstacles, and three day later he was looking to order an Arctic Cat. I've never pulled a trailer with it and it only has 500 miles on it so it could be a hunk of junk. But man my back feels like a million bucks after a day of riding hard.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info and insight, I am still in the research phase and all info is helpful.

Default 2008 suzuki king quad 450axi

Please see this link: http://www.atvriders.com/atvreviews/...ressintro.html

I wouldn't trade this atv for any other. Add to that the great customer service at the Arctic Cat/Suzuki dealer on Mtn View in Anchorage (ask for Brad or Justin).

I made my first trip last weekend, my King Quad was 2 days old (surprised I could wait that long to ride it!) Here is what I liked and didn't like about my atv.

There are 2 things I didn't like, but have remedied.
    1. The stock tires are almost bald...the guys upgraded to MudLite's for around $400 mounted on my stock rims; very impressed with the new skins
    2. A lot of plastic protecting the front of the atv. I purchased a front bumper and a shroud that goes under the winch. That is where most of the initial impacts from rocks etc are going to happen

This is what I really liked:
    1. The suspension
    2. Good storage system to keep things dry
    3. EFI = power
    4. The most important thing was the 4.6 gallon fuel tank...I had a half tank left after my 50 mile drive last weekend...EVERYONE else had under a quarter tank, and one was on reserve. Pretty important for Alaska riding.

I did a lot of research after buying a dud 500 Polaris Sportsman... For what is it worth, I'd buy another King Quad if I had the money.

Good luck!

I am thinking about the Yamaha Grizzly 350 IRS Auto. 4x4
    Any thoughts on this ATV?

I don't need a monster, just something to haul me around 5-6 weekends a year and do the odd job around the house.

You will get every reply here you can imagine and still not know much more than when you started out. I have owned a number of machines over the years and am sold on the Grizzly 700 with power steering and automatic. I don't know what your intrigue is with the dump bed but I have never wished for that feature. That will limit your choices considerably for sure.

I have owned a Kawasaki Bayou 400 back when that was the ultimate machine rather than the run of the mill that a similar machine is today. I really liked it but it was geared very low with lots of power but it rode like a tank and was full time 4wd. It took slightly less room to turn it around than a Peterbuilt truck. Next I got an Arctic Cat 500 Auto which was gutless and underpowered but rode pretty comfortably. That was followed by a Yamaha Grizzly 660 which I still have and like very much. I also bought a Yamaha Grizzly 700 which is fuel injected and has power steering. Needless to say it is the 700 that gets ridden by me and the 660 is a backup machine for visitors and friends that don't have one at the time.

At this time I can't think of anything that I would change on my 700 except for an upgrade on tires which I have already done.

Default The question for me is why

you want the dump bed?? What do you see yourself doing with it?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

You won't realize the usefullness of the dump bed until you have one for a while. I spread 42 yards of topsoil with my 6x6 using the dump bed, I could get almost 3 large wheelbarrow loads in it as well as run it up hills! Of course, the bed on a 4x4 won't be rated at 800# like my 6x6. But it would still be useful. Plus it makes hauling gear MUCH easier than a conventional rack (solid bottom so no holes to fall through).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    I am thinking about the Yamaha Grizzly 350 IRS Auto. 4x4
    Any thoughts on this ATV?

I don't need a monster, just something to haul me around 5-6 weekends a year and do the odd job around the house.
    I had an 05 non IRS 350. Very reliable and now with IRS you will like it a lot more because of the smooth ride. They are light enough so that if you get stuck you can jump off and walk it out of bad stuff with a little push. Good choice for what you want to use it for.IMO

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    I had an 05 non IRS 350. Very reliable and now with IRS you will like it a lot more because of the smooth ride. They are light enough so that if you get stuck you can jump off and walk it out of bad stuff with a little push. Good choice for what you want to use it for.IMO

Thanks! That helps.. Feels small compared to the revered 700.. But from what I can tell, is all I will need...

This thread has been dead for a while but I thought I would revive it. I ended up finding a used polaris 800x2 for what I thought was a decent price. It has the dump bed that I wanted, which for me provided more room but also help secure the loads I have carried. Thanks for the advice and info that was provided. Shane

Here is a pic of the wife glassing for moose on the wheeler...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great to see the women out hunting! Looks like a great wheeler getting the job done for you. How is the fuel mileage on it so far? The big think that I like on the Polaris wheelers is all the hidden on-board storage. There is room for a lot of emergency gear that can live on the machine without having to add a rack box.

Thumbs up

She absolutely loved it out there...especially when we stalked up to about 40 yards from a group of abou 8 moose. She could only stay for 4 days due to work, and was very disappointed when she had to come back home.

As for the wheeler, it performed very nicely. More power than I could possibly need. The fuel economy was pretty good. I did not get actual numbers on it, but the EFI really helps out. It only used slightly more than the honda. Buddy's 500 Polaris ATP (smaller version of mine more or less) drank alot more than mine, so that was pleasant. Again, the EFI I think really helped me out.

Sweet thing was it came with the quick attach plow, a winch, heated grips, a windshield, a polaris bag and a cover. Overall, I am extremely stoked about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MyKC395 View Post
    The wife has given the ok for a new 4-wheeler.
    Thanks, Shane
    Heck, I think you just answered some questions for me!! We 'supposed to ask??
    EricL

Default Brand

The name is just a name. If five people do test rides on quads they will all come up with different complaints. The main thing i notice is power, so many people test ride big quads and their 400s are now dissapointing to ride. Its nice to have the power when you need/want it. That 2x 800 polaris is a great ride.