Thread: Any idea?

Default Any idea?

I just inherited this pistol and can't seem to figure out what it is. As you can see the barrel unscrews and is nicely ingraved. It's a smooth bore...

Has anyone ever seen a gun like this or know of someone I could contact for more info?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks like a very interesting piece, but I can't place it myself. Can you provide additional info, such as the caliber (or approximate caliber... measure the bore diameter) and any lettering that is engraved anywhere? What is the overall length, as it's hard to put the pictures to scale. Is there a family story behind it, or was that lost to time?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

great looking piece, can you post some closeup pics of the action?

I've seen pics of them, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. If you don't get any replies in the next couple of days, I'll do some digging when I get back home and can get to my library.

Question pistol & carbine

May have been a pistol/carbine combo. Originally, it could have had a detachable stock, something like our cavalry had, to replace rifles, and also serve a close up pistol. Maybe, but good luck on finding info on it, because most American (if it is?) made arms didn't have proof marks, so finding info can be downright frustrating. Many long hours on the computer might yield something. Thanks for sharing, ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Very nice! It looks like something that comes from the middle east. I have seen a few other pieces from that area that are similar.

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    Very nice! It looks like something that comes from the middle east. I have seen a few other pieces from that area that are similar.

!? Name one gun made in the middle east in the mid 19th century (percussion era)
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

It looks very English possible Manton & son, Williams and Powell or maybe the Massachusetts firm of Allen & Thurber. About 1840's to 1850's (percussion era) Does it have a stock connection hard point? It is an interesting piece.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default No idea

That is neat looking and I have no idea what it is. I will be watching to see what you find out.

Default Thanks

Back to work this morning - thanks for all of the replies. I will get some better pix tonight. It does have some markings too, I will try to get some close ups.

Thanks again.

Looks like it could dub as a putter....When someone marks you down as hitting the ball one to many times. You could just shoot 'em.

(I'm not a golfer.)

No clue, nice though heirloom.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Without a close look, I'm betting Manton. The lines and features are the same. Don't know how popular or widespread they were, but the ones I found in references were mostly target guns.

Default Some Markings

I have been looking for my download cord for two days now with no luck so no pictures. I did look the gun over last night and this is what I found:

* The barrel length is about 16.5 inches - the entire gun is right around 20.
    *Stamped on top of the gun next to the hammer is a small circle and inside I believe it reads "F5 EOCOFFIED ENTREPENEUR". It is pretty tiny so I am sure I could be wrong on some of the letters.
    *Stamped in the bottom of the barrel is the #'s 11 and 14.8
    *Stamped in the wood grip, behind the trigger guard is the #s 336 and 3595

Thanks for all of the clues so far, it will definately help me as I continue to research the gun!

Rather than taking a bunch more pictures, it might be quicker to google Manton & son, Williams and Powell, and Allen & Thurber. I tried it just now with Manton and got a zillion hits, many of which look like they have pics. I'm betting you'll find a match. Let us know what you learn. Looks like a great pistol!

It is darn near like a Gentlemans Walking-Stick Pistol I have seen before. Although this one seems a little beefier.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Talking

Looks like it's a piece of junk, not worth much, I'll give you $25 to take it off your hands. You pay shipping of course! grin

kingfisherktn

Could the first word be Escoffier? Looks like it is the name of a famous chef/restaurant owner???

Default reply

I recived this reply to some e-mails I sent out to black powder dealers...

"Your gun is unusual and I have not seen one exactly like it. I have seen
    others with somewhat longer barrels which unscrew as your does. These are
    generally classified as "poacher's guns." They were concealable when taken
    down but quite effective at taking small game when assembled. I think that
    that is what your gun is."

I think the next step will be to build a nice display case for it and enjoy it, whatever it is Thanks for looking and for the comments.