Thread: safety release gun goes off

Default safety release gun goes off

Here is a good one, buddy in CA has a Weatherby 300 weatherby magnum, the weapon fires without use of the trigger . the owner repeatedly tried this and successfully had the gun fire without use of the trigger. A gunsmith stated that he had 'fixed' the problem. Anyone have any idea what in the world is going on, and any suggestions for repair and of course finding another gunsmith..........

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by swedeshooter View Post
    Here is a good one, buddy in CA has a Weatherby 300 weatherby magnum, the weapon fires without use of the trigger . the owner repeatedly tried this and successfully had the gun fire without use of the trigger. A gunsmith stated that he had 'fixed' the problem. Anyone have any idea what in the world is going on, and any suggestions for repair and of course finding another gunsmith..........
    My guess as to what's goin on is that the "Gunsmith" only THINKS, he fixed it.

I reckon, the diagnosis and repair would depend on what kind of rifle, ACTION, it is.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I had that happen with a '98 Mauser in .257 Roberts. If you pulled the trigger then realized you had forgotten to put the gun on fire and flipped down the safety it would fire. The smith fixed it, but I couldn't tell you what he did.

I had a mal-adjusted trigger do that to me one time.

Odds are someone messed with the sear engagement or overtravel settings in an "attempt" to lighten the pull.

When pressure is put on the trigger (blocked by the safety) and the safety is released, the sear has moved just enough to allow the rifle to fire.

Obviously VERY dangerous!

Default Common malady with messed-with triggers!

My Charles Daly Zastava M98 did the same thing, AND, if you recall, Remington just lost a boatload of money over a class action lawsuit where a kid or two were killed when this happened.
    Most commonly, someone has screwed with the trigger adjustments, OR the guts are dirty, corroded, gummed up, or improperly lubricated. Gee, I like my Model 70's.....
    The most 'bestest' fix is a trip to an authorized repair facility OR the factory for repair and adjustment.

I have a commercial mauser that did the same thing. Came in off a hunt and unloaded the weapon. The safety does not lock the bolt on this model. When I took the safety off to lower the firing pin, it did it for me. Scared the heck out of me although there was no round in the chamber. The rifle was about 20 years old at the time. I had a gunsmith fix it and haven't had a problem in the 15 years since. Get another gunsmith.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

7STW is right on the money here. I too have had this with several Remingtons. And if I have this correct, it was a tad too little sear engagement, and if you pull the trigger with the safety on it will allow the sear to disengage from the striker, but the striker will be held by the safety. Once the safety is then released the striker is free to fall upon the firirng pin and............Kapow! At least this is how I remeber, and was the case with my rifles. Andy Hawk (562-0881) fixed mine up and it now has a very nice, crisp, light and most importantly, safe trigger. You can of course send it back to the manufacture, however you will recieve it back with the same crappy, heavy trigger pull that someone obviously tried to fix in the first place. I suggest a good gun smith........probably NOT the guy you sent it to who "fixed" it before, as he darn well should have tried it 20 or 30 times before he let it out of his shop, and he obviously didnt.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I heard about the issue with Remington 700 triggers. I've never had the problem, and I seldom use a safety, but it's kinda scary. It makes me more careful too.

I paid Stan Jackson to CLEAN and adjust the triggers on both of my Rem. 700s. That's the ONLY way he'll do it, BTW.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Common Ailment

While this may seemm like a case of poor gunsmithing; it may not be. This is a common ailment in 416 Weatherbys and should be corrected.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !