Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rode to the Knik glacier today - pics.

Default Rode to the Knik glacier today - pics.

I took the Big Bear out today with BigHinER and another friend of ours. We made it all the way out to the glacier and had a great ride. Here are a few pics:
    BigH standing next to the wheelers near the beginning of the ride.

The view from the overlook where we stopped for lunch. The glacier is in the background.

We saw some mountain goats on this ledge on the way out.

The two Polaris machines - guess I was the odd man out with my Yamaha.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Our friend enjoying his first ride on the new 700 Sportsman.

We saw Water Gremlin and a friend as we were loading up after the ride. Nice to meet ya! This was my first time on that trail, and I can't wait for the next trip!

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    We saw some mountain goats on this ledge on the way out.

They look like sheep to me, but great pictures, regardless. I was stuck in town today
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Does that 500 magnum make my butt look big ???? I had a blast today. It was fun taking you guys back there to the glacier.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHinER View Post
    Does that 500 magnum make my butt look big ???? I had a blast today. It was fun taking you guys back there to the glacier.
    You can be my tour guide anytime. Get a new battery and let's go again.

Default Battery

I pick it up tomorrow. Mine is a 30 amp. WM has 'em but they are 14 amp. I called the dealer and they said they have some also. I said I'd be right there to get one. He gives me one.....a 14 amp one. I think to myself....it must be a "replacement" battery. That thing wouldn't work no matter which way I turned it. It was about half the size of the old one. The ground wire was too short. I was gonna get a longer ground wire.....BUT Pete and I came to the conclusion that it was the wrong battery. Back to the dealer I go with both batteries. They look at it and say "Yep. That won't work" SO. They are charging up the RIGHT one tonight and I pick it up in the AM. We were thinking of going back out Monday (31st). HouseHold 6 is off tomorrow and Sat and Pete has church on Sun. Whatcha think?

Default teeth

I just noticed..... the snow in the front of mine looks like TEETH. MEAN knarling, chewing TEETH.

Monday sounds good to me. New Year's eve ride - perfect! I'm in if it's a go.

I just noticed..... the snow in the front of mine looks like TEETH. MEAN knarling, chewing TEETH.
    My tires look like teeth. They bite down and tear like teeth too. I really like the Swamplites. They don't spin or slide as easy as the old Mudlites, but that's kinda the point, right?

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    My tires look like teeth. They bite down and tear like teeth too. I really like the Swamplites. They don't spin or slide as easy as the old Mudlites, but that's kinda the point, right?
    Good thing I got NEW mudlites..... monday is a go. I'm trying to get a hold of another guy too.

Good thing I got NEW mudlites..... monday is a go. I'm trying to get a hold of another guy too.
    You got the Mudlite XL's. Different critters. They work better than the standard mudlites. Sounds good. The more the merrier.

How's the snow cover / depth out to the glacier?

Great meeting you guys today. I wish I brought back a wolf to show you guys though.

Knik has hardly any snow right now. Most of it gets blown away.

Those XTR's are good tires, but I sure do miss my bugs.

Yeah, I would even say a good rider on a sport quad might make it out there now. It's not bad at all. I was in 2WD the majority of the time, except for the steep climbs where you don't really have to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Great meeting you guys today. I wish I brought back a wolf to show you guys though.
    Keep looking, there were plenty of tracks!

Awesome pictures. That looks like it was waaayyy too much fun. Could you make it part-way back there with a truck right now?? If not, do any of you know anyone/anyplace that rents ATV's ??

Thanks,

Jon

You could definately make it back to Friday Creek. We followed some car/ SUV/ Auto tracks out through the trees to where it came out at wolf point. I guess it depends on how big of a truck and whether you want to keep your mirrors or not.

You could definately make it back to Friday Creek. We followed some car/ SUV/ Auto tracks out through the trees to where it came out at wolf point. I guess it depends on how big of a truck and whether you want to keep your mirrors or not.

Haha. I would like to keep my mirrors, but I could always fold them in. I drive a half ton F150. Are there any good maps of the area around Jim?? I really don't know the area very well and would kinda like to know where I'm going and what's around me.

Do y'all go straight up the creek or do you take the trail that is by the side of the creek??

Thanks,

Jon

The trail is like a river bed of rocks in some places but there is a well defined trail.

Went out to Knik myself yesterday with a few friends. I wouldn't take a truck all the way as I think the ice would be too thin way up to the last water crossing before the glacier. I saw many a spot where the ice had given way and was only a couple of inches thick. Great ride out and back! Happy New Year All!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast