Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas Ft. Wainwright

Default Merry Christmas Ft. Wainwright

Holy pergatory Batman............you better make sure your in AK for 12 months before you get your resident licenses. The Brown shirt cops really laid down the tickets for our boys in uniform.

If your a civilian make sure you don't come back to hunt after living in Alaska too. That will land you in a load of trouble too.

****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't!

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Holy pergatory Batman............you better make sure your in AK for 12 months before you get your resident licenses. The Brown shirt cops really laid down the tickets for our boys in uniform.

If your a civilian make sure you don't come back to hunt after living in Alaska too. That will land you in a load of trouble too.

I don't understand? What's the problem?

Don't do the crime unless you can pay the fine.

Default Clarification?

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post

This is a pretty sketchy post... not sure what you're talking about.

If some guys were ticketed for falsification of their residency, well, they deserved it. Makes no difference whether they are military or not. The regulations are very clear in this case. If this is not the issue, then could you clarify?

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Electronic Age!!!!!

It would appear that the boys in brown are using computer systems to track residency. The PFD system can cross check an amazing amount of information. If you have bought an other resident hunting license in another state ect... So a word to the wise wait your year or be ready to pay.

Steve

Talking No major issue really, just cabin fever

No major issues here.......I just found it in poor taste to start slammin the boys so close to Christmas. How many months ago were those licenses purchased?

Honestly though I feel 12 months to be a long time for residency requirments for fish and game purposes. I can understand permanent fund.

Everyplace I have lived while I was in the Army a year was the standard for residency. Colorado, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Alaska.

I think you will find it hard pressed to find guys on this forum (Including me) to say that this state is hard on military. Beleive it or not but Alaska is packed to the gills with vets. We have done our time to follow the rules and expect others to do the same.

Alaska is one of the only states that has a non-resident military hunting license at a discount price that still allows them to get out and shoot other game (other than big game) and still enjoy themselves.

Army Ethic rests on a bedrock of seven Army Values; Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage.

What happened to the Army Values for those individuals?

Default Military

I got to Eielson in fall of 2004..and I had to wait 12 months to buy a resident hunting license...but you can still buy a non-res license for half the price! thats a good deal (IMO)...nice to see the state is still taking care of those that serve!....CK

Default Question

I'm curious to see what members would consider about the following example:

A person arrives in the state of Alaska on 1 JAN -

Purchases a resident hunting license in DEC

Count the months - JAN, FEB, MAR, APR, MAY, JUN, JUL, AUG, SEP, OCT, NOV, DEC = 12 Months

The license reads "lived in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding application for a license"

Does the "preceding" in the above statement matter? i.e not allow you to count DEC as the 12th month?

According to the Trooper I spoke with on this issue you have to live in the state for 366 days to legally purchase a resident license -

I see his point, but it might be slightly more clear if it read "lived in Alaska for the preceding 365 days.

Just my thoughts
    Last edited by Bravo 2 1/75; 12-28-2007 at 08:05. Reason: spelling

I know this had a previous thread, but I know alot, and I mean Alot of military friends here hunt as residents and after hunting season here go back to the lower 48 for the holidays and hunt as res. for whitetail, mule deer and elk...There must be a loop hole! I don't know how they do it, but they do...CK

Default No Bravo

Your statement does not make sense. If you arrive on 1 Jan., you can not not buy a license until 1 Jan. the next year. You are not taking into account that buying a license on 1 Dec. means you were only actually here 11 months. "Physically Present"! A year is 12 months or 365 days.

Count the months - JAN, FEB, MAR, APR, MAY, JUN, JUL, AUG, SEP, OCT, NOV, DEC = 12 Months
    You have to be here all of "December" which means you can not buy a license until Jan. 1.

I waited for 12 months when I came up. Bought a non-res. license and a non-resident caribou tag in Elim AK. Even though the rest of the village where I lived bought no licenses, tags and subsistence hunted.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 12-28-2007 at 08:27. Reason: Can't type on one cup of coffee

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default New Info

[quote=alaskanmoosehunter;188131]Everyplace I have lived while I was in the Army a year was the standard for residency. Colorado, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Alaska.

Sir,
    I think that you will find that most states have changed their residency regs concerning military as residents (for hunting) after 911.

For example

Colorado - 6 months = resident
    Tennessee - 90 days = resident
    Oklahoma - 60 days = resident

This was as on this morning on their individual state hunting regulation websites.
    These did not specifically mention military, but I think you get the point.

Default Just when you thought it was over!

must we go down this road agian? The rules are the rules!

Here's the ADN story: http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/248531.html

Bravo, do the math. If you arrive 1 Jan. 12 months is 31 December, not any date prior to that. Yes, you count December as the 12th month and on 31 December, you've lived in Alaska for that month.
    Evidently the troopers are taking lists of military license holders and running computer checks to see when they signed in. Its very easy and a little chicken to target them because, they admit, its so easy. The number caught seems to be about .5 % of the total checked, (12 out of 2500 to 3000 checked) not a big number.
    A number of states allow military residents who are stationed elsewhere to purchase resident licenses while home on leave. Ohio does that as an example. As long as you do not claim residency in Alaska, its no problem. The question of military claiming residency in Alaska and the question of being here 12 months to qualify to purchase the resident license are two entirely different things. If you have benn stationed in Alaska for the 12 months, you do NOT have to claim to be a resident to qualify for the resident license. Thus you may still qualify for a resident license in your home state.

Default Bravo

This state is unlike any other out there. We have a tremendous number of people that come up each summer just to work. The retired snowbirds, fishing industry, construction workers, tourist industry workers. They are here 3-4 months and leave. Who knows where they are claiming residency! Many claim PFD's illegally. If all those people were declared residents every year and stayed to hunt, the game would be gone in no time.

The population of Valdez in the winter is 3,800. In the summer we increase to 8,000. Can you imagine what the increase of the states population statewide is in the summer. And now, after only 3-4 months they become legal residents? It is my belief that the state has to have a 8-12 month residency requirement.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Residency

I guess I'm having a hard time with this one. I think the discussion of whether our residency requirements make sense / whether we should issue additional preference for military folks is a good discussion, but in the case at hand, these guys knew the law and broke it!

So for me, this is about two things. I'm happy to talk about our residency requirements, but my "slack cutter" is broken when it comes to what should happen when people knowingly break the law, regardless of their military standing.

I am a huge supporter of the military, but I don't believe we should look the other way when a soldier breaks the law. A soldier of all things! What are we thinking? These folks above all should be examples of good citizenship!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Pay the price

Michael,
    Was anybody saying different? I agree with you - everybody is responsible for their actions. If you break the law you should pay - peirod-

My last point on this topic would be the following: I would ask all members to check themselves before mounting the soapbox. In some way most (NOT ALL) people break the law everyday. Does everybody follow the speed limit to the letter -do you sometimes think the posted speed limit is too slow? Sure you do - and you are probably ready to accept a speeding ticket.

Some knew they were breaking the law - some interpreted the regulation different and they paid the fine.
    Last edited by Bravo 2 1/75; 12-28-2007 at 09:07. Reason: spelling

Bravo 2 1/75

Your sense of entitlement is disturbing. Whatever happened to selfless service. I, like many others followed the rules when I got stationed up here. I never felt the state owed me anything because I was in the Army and was appreciative of the benifits that they did entend and was very thankful for the opportunity to enjoy this great land. The people that were fined tried to bend the rules for personal gain, I'd be willing to bet every one of them knew in the back of their mind it was wrong but thought the chance of getting caught was slim so it was worth the risk. Then again, some people can justify anything if it will benifit them. They got caught, have given the military a black eye, they should pay the price. 12 months or a year equals 365 days, has for centuries. I have defended the military numerous times on this board when others have tried to place blame or bad tallk the military, but actions such as this make it very hard to do.

I hope nothing in my previous response was taken as condoning the members for what they did. They knew, or should have known, the law. They broke it and should pay. In perspective, the article said they checked 2500 to 3000 names and only came up with 12 they ticketed. That's a little less then half of one percent. Pretty good compliance by the 99.5% of the military members. Hardly a black eye.

Default I'm confused

Quote Originally Posted by AKJD View Post
    Bravo 2 1/75

Your sense of entitlement is disturbing. Whatever happened to selfless service. I, like many others followed the rules when I got stationed up here. I never felt the state owed me anything because I was in the Army and was appreciative of the benifits that they did entend and was very thankful for the opportunity to enjoy this great land. The people that were fined tried to bend the rules for personal gain, I'd be willing to bet every one of them knew in the back of their mind it was wrong but thought the chance of getting caught was slim so it was worth the risk. Then again, some people can justify anything if it will benifit them. They got caught, have given the military a black eye, they should pay the price. 12 months or a year equals 365 days, has for centuries. I have defended the military numerous times on this board when others have tried to place blame or bad tallk the military, but actions such as this make it very hard to do.
    What are you talking about? I simply asked a question in the above thread.
    You are not staying on the topic and hello, I believe that I just stated that if you break the rules you should be punished.

What sense of entitlement? In a previous thread I stated that it might be nice if Alaska followed some other states and lowered the residency requirements for military. That horse has been beated and is dead. I get it, most people on this forum disagreed with me - ok - that's their right -

Military members are people, plain and simple, with all the faults and problems just like your average joe.
    Last edited by Bravo 2 1/75; 12-28-2007 at 09:28. Reason: grammar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast