Thread: fly vises

Default fly vises

what recommendations do people have for fly vises. beginning to intermediate fly tyer. types of fishing are trout, grayling, red and silver salmon, some char.
    Thanks in advance

Default vise

I use this kind of vise. I got it at sportsmans for around $40.

http://www.mailordercentral.com/hook...number=9402001

Jake

I'd get a durable but not expensive vise to start out. After a few years you will want to upgrade, at which time you can move your first one into a travel kit. I started out in 1962 with a Thompson A model and tied on it for 40+ years, including 10 years as a commercial tyer. I've moved on to bigger and "better", but that old Model A still holds a place of honor in my travel kit.

I'm not sure the A is available anymore, but it's a good example of servicable without a lot of money tied up.

Like BrownBear, I too started with a Thompson Model A type vise (I don't think it was actually made by Thompson, but was identical). I tied on it for about 5 years - everything from trout flies to saltwater. I am now tying on a Renzetti Traveler which I love, but it is pretty pricey for a beginner vice.

I actually like the look of the vice that jakec5253 provided the link for. It looks a bit like a Renzetti traveler at a fraction of the cost. My preference is to get a base model rather than a C-clamp, but many people obviously like the C-clamp. It would depend on where you plan to do most of your tying (in one spot where clamping is not a problem vs. moving around a bit or on a nice table you don't want to clamp on).

The main thing I really like about the Renzetti, and it looks like the one in jakec's link is similar, is that the tip of the holding clamp narrows down much more than the Thompson A type models, which seem to be more rounded. This gives a bit more working room for fingers when working with small flies.

Welcome to the wonderful, addicting hobby of fly-tying.

I've used a few vises, tied commmercially for a few years, and taught some class's with Chris Batin and Mark Wade.

For a new person I'd highly recommend the superior 2a on this page
    http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/vises.html

I am using dynaking and they are likely to be the last vises I ever buy. I have two, one fully rotary (or sidewinder) and the pro. The full rotarys are nice, however most who have them don't use them for the intended purpose. YOu can really crank buggers or bunny flys with a full true rotary. If you're only turning a fly over to work on the underside for whatever reason, save your money and buy this vise! It'll do all you ask and more.

Default Dyna King

I tied on cheaper vise for years and it did just fine. $30-$40 for the whole kit I think. I now tie on a larger scale for a guide outfit and bought a lower end Dyna King rotary vise on sale, about $125. Best investment I've made in a while, holds hooks like no other and with the hook grooves I don't have to adjust it when I switch patterns. They really make great vises when you look to step it up to something nicer!

Default Griffin 2nd Vote

Tradbow is spot on for a great vise at a very reasonable price Made in the USA with an outstanding warranty.

I have been tying files for about 30 years the Griffin is a very simple vise and will meet your needs for several years. Once you decide you must have something a little better then upgrade to a Dyna King, Spratan, Renz etc....

Just my .8 Cents

Best Wishes

Blue Moose

can't go wrong with a renzetti traveller I saved for 3 months to buy mine when I was 13 I'm 20 now and still have no desire to even look at a new vice
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    can't go wrong with a renzetti traveller I saved for 3 months to buy mine when I was 13 I'm 20 now and still have no desire to even look at a new vice
    X2 on the Traveller. Love mine!!!

definatly a decent vise. Personally I'd pic something else but I dont think you'd dislike it, then again you've got nothing to base it off of either

For this price tag it sure does open up a TON of options in vises, soem very good like the renzetti travler, or the dynaking kingfisher and a host of others. If you can get your hands on a couple and tie a little bit and see what feels comfortable that's the best thing you can do.

and stay away from the blasted black death regal vises. http://www.regalengineering.com/

THey'll shoot a hook acrossed the room. Destorying your jaws in the process and are hell on your hands after a few hundred dozen. They are OK if you can find one for cheap to nothing. I mean who's going to turn a gift horse in the mouth. But if someone gave it to me, I'd promptly sell it and buy something else is what I'm trying to get at. Have tied a couple hundred dozen flies each on this vise, the dynaking professional and my Dynaking sidewinder. With the bulk of it falling on the sidewinder.

Oh, and I'm suprised as hell Moose the Renzetti man agreed with my pic on a entry level vise LMAO!

Default Yep I know

Oh, and I'm suprised as hell Moose the Renzetti man agreed with my pic on a entry level vise LMAO! LOL :-)

Oh I still love my Renz however I also have gone to the dark side and use a Dnya King now and again as well as the Old hook spitting Regal and a couple of Griffin's whent he mood hits. After 30 years of wrapping hooks it is always good to have options.

Option Options Options.

As long as it rotates, and holds the hook I am happy in my old age.

On a side note if you want to use any of the flex coat or Garcia videos from the shop stop in and sign them out.

Blue Moose

Default dan-vise, peak rotary

Thanks for all of the information. I was reading some reviews on the internet and one of the reviews said the dan-vise was the best vise under $100. it is a true rotary vise, the only drawback stated was that it can be a little more difficult to work on the tail because of the size of the jaws.
    the peak rotary was listed as the best value for $100-200. The renzetti traveler was in that group but not listed as the writers preference. (although a lot of people speak highly of the renzetti.)
    has anyone used the dan-vise or the peak rotary? thoughts on those compared to others.
    thanks
    Jeff

I have used neither and know no one who has one personally. I looked at the danvise and nixed that idea.

Moose I may take you up on that.