Thread: Ice hole common courtesy

Default Ice hole common courtesy

If you find a drilled hole and noone is around is it impolite to drop a line?New to ice fishing so best advice would be helpful.

if its frozen over feel free to open it back up and start fishing!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks I'm going take my gear out of my closet and put it back in my truck.

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    if its frozen over feel free to open it back up and start fishing!

I am not sure if I would with an un frozen hole, but I deffinatly would reuse someone elses hole if it had frozen over.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

HA! How frozen over? It doesn't take long for skim of ice to form in this weather...

If you ask me I don't see anything wrong with it...just like a slot machine in vegas, if I walk away then by all means step up and throw your money down the hole!

I think the saying goes - if there's no gear or beer near then drop your line and have no fear!

Personally I wouldn't do it - maybe if my auger was broken and I didn't see anyone around to ask about the status of the seemingly abandoned hole...I usually prefer to fish away from other people anyway, so it's never come up for me.

Word of warning - I have heard of people "marking their territory" in or around ice holes, so exercise caution anytime you consider using a strange ice hole.

Default Usually

Usually if someone is leaving I ask, if they are right there.

If the pack up and leave, fair game.

Slightly iced over and no one around, fair game.

Someone drills a bunch so they can move around, in sight fishing, leave it alone.

Anytime there is no one in sight, no camps near by with tracks leading to them, fair game.

Just common sense

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default asking??

id think twice if someone asked me to use my ice hole. with my hearing loss it could cause some problems " hey dude, do you mind if i drop some bait in your ICE HOLE"

Depends on where you are fishing Sometimes it is hard to say why there is an open hole and no one around, could be a bad location. I usually drill my own holes but have also had people leaving tell me that I could use their open ice holes too.

Common sense and courtesy will dictate on how you feel about using an already drilled hole.

Default Icehole

Frozen over and noone around, Fair game.

If anyone gives you any problems, kick 'em in the icehole.

I started drilling one time and from heaven I thought I heard a voice saying "there are no fish under the ice". I musta been dreaming.

I continued drilling, and once again, I heard a loud booming voice from heaven saying "there are no fish under the ice".
    "God? Is that you"? I cried.

"No, this is the hockey rink announcer. There are no fish under the Ice".

Good stuff people. I love the humor in this post.

If there is a hole open, no one around, jump on in and get some.
    As alaska goes, you don't loose your hole just your turn.

Default Protocol

- If ice hole drillers remain in the vicinity, but drill a short distance away, ask them.
    - If they pick up there gear and leave to another part of the lake, wait 10 minutes, then go use the holes (zeroing in on the bloody ones).
    - If you have seen them limit out, and they pick up and start moving in the direction of their vehicle, waste no time, but run over to their holes while yelling "Woohoo!" and drop your line in immediately. Die hard ice fishermen understand.

One of my favorite things to do is if there are people close by with a hand auger is to see how many holes I can drill with the power auger while they are fighting the first hole. Then once they get the fist hole done go over and ask if they would like me to drill a few holes for them.

Talking open ice hole

Years ago in Michigan I was returning from Winter Steelhead trip with 3 nice 5+ pounders in the cooler. Stopped at a lake with lots of ice fishermen fishing for pan fish. I laid the steelies on the ice next to an open hole and enjoyed the awe, amazement and envy in those who passed by--nice fish, what you using for bait!!! fishnngrinn out
    NRA Lifetime Member

It's just like fishing any combat fishing in the summer, if someone packs up and leaves, somebody else steps into their spot. The guys that get me are the ones that step into a spot when somebody backs up to take a fish off of the line. Those are the people that get me going.

Default haha...

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    - If ice hole drillers remain in the vicinity, but drill a short distance away, ask them.
    - If they pick up there gear and leave to another part of the lake, wait 10 minutes, then go use the holes (zeroing in on the bloody ones).
    - If you have seen them limit out, and they pick up and start moving in the direction of their vehicle, waste no time, but run over to their holes while yelling "Woohoo!" and drop your line in immediately. Die hard ice fishermen understand.
    Great stuff, Sayak.

Gotta add that I had that happen once.
    I was enroute to said vehicle with my limit when an optimistic, overjoyed angler ran to my honey hole but prompty fipped head over heels on the slick ice....The who--hoooo! became a whoo--aaaww--argghhhhhh!...splat. I thought he'd crack through!

It wasn't long, however, before the lumped up fisherman was smiling with silvers flopping next to the golden hole.....

Frank

If fishing a popular spot I always drilled plenty of extra holes (20ish) so that when the rest of the fishing hoard showed up they wouldn't make too much noise drilling and walking around. I'd even use little orange flag's I'd "aquired" from the cable laying projects to mark out the area.

I became quite popular on the small lake I used to ice fish and the regulars often bar-b-q'd on the ice and invited me. Got a free beer once from some old timers once when I was 16.

Yes I drank it, I was a naughty boy.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default football field

Last year I was a little irritated when I went to figure eight lake. For those of you who have been there, as big as that lake is, there is only a small area that is really deep enough to hold the pike and that a guy can fish for them. Last year there was a group of guys that got there early, maybe six of them? They had the maximum number of tip-ups and it looked like a mine-field covering a football field sized area. You wouldn't think ice fishing would be so crowded, but using this technique you can hog the entire area and sit back in your chair and watch for a flag. I don't know about ethics and ice fishing, but it just seemed a little thoughtless, people rode all the way out there and a small amount of guys hogged the majority of the fishing area. We found a place to fish but pretty much had to crowd a few other guys to get an ice hole in. Weird for a 20 mile ride into the middle of nowwhere.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

You would be surprised how shallow of water you can pull the pike out of. This is just like any other fishing, lake, river or ocean, this is first come first serve. I would have just talked it up with them and placed my tips up near theres if you wanted to be in that same area. I know for a fact that that lake has several good locations and my best holes are in 8 to 10 feet of water.