Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bowhunting sheep

Default bowhunting sheep

I am trying to find out if anyone can tell me if they have any personal experience, or if they can tell me where to find it on bowhunting for sheep up off the haul road before the pass, in the pass, and after the pass. I would like to know how the sheep populations are in that area, good places to park and start walking from, and any success stories anyone may have. Thank you for any and all information.

someone please help! I am trying to plan a hunt for next Year. Thanks

sheep hunters are more tight-lipped than fishermen. good luck with this one.

Here is the GMU 26 Biologist's info: GMU 26(A)
    Geoff Carroll (geoff.carroll@alaska.gov)
    ADF&G/Wildlife Conservation
    P.O. Box 1284
    Barrow, AK 99723-1284
    (907) 852-3464 phone
    (907) 852-3465 fax

He should have some insight that he would be willing to share.

Sheep hunters are a tight lipped crowd (me included), but this is a start.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Spoiled One, thank you very much. It is very aggravating when all you want to do is hunt and you can't seem to get any help.

No worries. Big ram honey holes, especially walk-areas, are as sacred as our wives...more to some!!! Good luck!

AKArmy,

I've done it, have killed a ram up there, passed on another, obviously with stickbows. Have shot 2 rams with stickbows now, havent hunted them in a couple of years now, hoping to fix that this fall.

Will I tell you where to go? Likely not . I DO NOT tell my wife where I go there for fear she'll tell a friend, or word will leak on my spots. Sorry..... WIll I tell you where to park? Likely not. It's taken me over the course of 12 years lots of hours driving, lots of miles hiking, and lots of time spent to find these places.

Not saying it couldnt happen but I've told only ONE buddy where these spots are at. Almost showed a, how to say, aquaintence one of them, glad he didnt grasp what he was looking at, cough cough. That means you'll have to become one helluva good hunting partner of mine for me to show you or tell you. And I'll be blatently honest, with you being Army (was also), and having lost to many good spots and partners due to this, you'll have your work cut out for ya... If ya get an itch to scratch, tradbow@hotmail.com You'll see me starting to get back into sheep shape here in the next couple weeks when the canoe is finally finished. Then it's goat sheep shape work till august. Should be a strong sheephunting machine by then...I hope

Go up and hunt it. Spend the time, dont expect a ton of rams, or big ones though I've seen two behomoths, most are smaller rams, and less of them and LOTS of pressure. Not to paint a dismal picture, they are there for the taking if you do the work to find them. But, finding them is the hard part. There is all kinds of nooks and crany's to go crawl through and find sheep. With lots of white eye catching rocks to stare at.......and every once in awhile it'll have 4 legs

Default Talk to Tony

One name stands out when bowhunting Sheep...Tony Russ!, I have his books but when someone has that many P&Y sheep, he is probably the one to talk too...I tried bowhunting sheep this past season, and its TOUGH, I really think a little luck comes into play too, saw good rams, just couldn't get close enough...but it was fun.

All I am going to share is that it can be done. There are pullouts on either side of Atigun pass for the semis to chain up in winter, you can park there. I have a 60+ year old friend that's in decent shape shoot a ram with the same methods you proposed. Park the truck and start hiking.

Default Much thanks

Hey guys I really appreciate the assistance. That really boosts my confidence that I am not out of my mind for attempting this! I guess I came across a little off of what I meant. I was really just wanting general info on that hunt. I wouldn't expect anyone to give up a honey hole that they rightfully worked their butts off to find. Thanks

Default just my thoughts

It might be worth the money to have someone from coldfoot fly you around the area. I believe coyote air flys that area. We bou hunted up there this fall and we saw a lot of lambs/ewes in the mtns by the road--and they didn't get their by immaculate conception The nice thing about that area is you can always change your mind and go bou hunting. Good luck.

Flying to spot sheep? thats an expensive way to spot sheep, especially when trying to bowhunt. I tried to book a sheep hunt back in Oct. for 2008 season, believe his name was Dirk (unguided, drop-off) thru coyote and he said was obligated and booked for outfitters. But, I'm sure if you get there on a day he's not flying or busy he could give you a spotting sheep tour,...be pricey!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    AKArmy,

I've done it, have killed a ram up there, passed on another, obviously with stickbows. Have shot 2 rams with stickbows now, havent hunted them in a couple of years now, hoping to fix that this fall.

Will I tell you where to go? Likely not . I DO NOT tell my wife where I go there for fear she'll tell a friend, or word will leak on my spots. Sorry..... WIll I tell you where to park? Likely not. It's taken me over the course of 12 years lots of hours driving, lots of miles hiking, and lots of time spent to find these places.

Not saying it couldnt happen but I've told only ONE buddy where these spots are at. Almost showed a, how to say, aquaintence one of them, glad he didnt grasp what he was looking at, cough cough. That means you'll have to become one helluva good hunting partner of mine for me to show you or tell you. And I'll be blatently honest, with you being Army (was also), and having lost to many good spots and partners due to this, you'll have your work cut out for ya... If ya get an itch to scratch, tradbow@hotmail.com You'll see me starting to get back into sheep shape here in the next couple weeks when the canoe is finally finished. Then it's goat sheep shape work till august. Should be a strong sheephunting machine by then...I hope

Go up and hunt it. Spend the time, dont expect a ton of rams, or big ones though I've seen two behomoths, most are smaller rams, and less of them and LOTS of pressure. Not to paint a dismal picture, they are there for the taking if you do the work to find them. But, finding them is the hard part. There is all kinds of nooks and crany's to go crawl through and find sheep. With lots of white eye catching rocks to stare at.......and every once in awhile it'll have 4 legs
    But will you post a picture, Tradbow?

Heck I was camped up there one year and I woke up and found this one sleeping in my truck!

Now Jimmy, you've seen them both. Heck I cant figure out how to get it off webshots and into this blasted site, gotta love it. Anyways here's a direct link to the pic. copy and paste into your browser window. I'll have to dig up pics for the first ram, get pics and get them onto the computer, ugg. Glueing on the decks and gunnels on the canoe today so it likely wont be till late tonight or tomorrow I get ram 1 up.

http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/20...425x425Q85.jpg

Only pulling your leg Dan. Your last ram was a dandy for sure! You should swing by Rich's house and see the one I dropped off to him this year. Really nice animal.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Now Jimmy, you've seen them both. Heck I cant figure out how to get it off webshots and into this blasted site, gotta love it. Anyways here's a direct link to the pic. copy and paste into your browser window. I'll have to dig up pics for the first ram, get pics and get them onto the computer, ugg. Glueing on the decks and gunnels on the canoe today so it likely wont be till late tonight or tomorrow I get ram 1 up.

http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/20...425x425Q85.jpg
    Here you go, Dan. Beautiful ram!

I never thought of that Jimmy, definatly should. Havent talked to Rich in a bit either.

Oh I figured you were screwing with me there, if you werent I'da known something was up

Default Wow!

Gee Dan, I thought that ram looked familure, but who's that skinny kid beside it? ROFLMAO!!!!! Ready to go climb a hill? I am!
    Adison

I'm sure he would be happy to see you. Bet you might even get a frosty one out of the deal. Take care dude...enjoy the winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast