Thread: Tire Advise for Sportsman 500

Default Tire Advise for Sportsman 500

Currently have 26/8/12 & 26/11/12 stock tires. For a recent Birthday, my wife bought me 4 Mudlites (XL) 27/9/12. ($400.00). I decided to see if I could get them a bit cheaper and found them for 228.00 delivered to Wasilla. I could get the XTR's for another $100.00

I spoke to one of the guys at Eagle River Polaris who was really helpful. He thought that 27" was a bit much for the 500, and that I should get a thinner tire in front for handling purposes. He also cautioned me from getting anything too agressive as I might exceed what the 500 can handle. He did recommend the XTR's over the XL's.

Before I make my order, I wanted to see if anyone had any advise on the following.

1. Mudlite XL's VS Mudlite XTR's (Radials)

2. 26" VS 27"

3. Thinner tire in the front.

I am leaning towards towards XTR's 26/9/12 (front) & 26/11/12 (back).

I have aluminum rims for the stock tires and am assuming these rims will still work for these tires.

Appreciate any feedback!

Mike

Default XTRs

I have the 26"ers on my 700 Grizzly and absolutely love 'em. I often daydream about the 27s but just for the looks. My wife has 07 450 King Quad (FI) with the 26" XLs and I notice a decrease in power by just the extra inch in height and width. I would stick with the 26s instead of the 27s, in my opinion what little you might gain from the 27s will not be worth what you could lose in engine performance with them. That's just my 2 cents though.

Default 26ers

I have the 26 inch mudlites xl on my 450 kodiak, 9's in front, 12's in the rear, it goes thru anything, don't worry about the front's being big, it won't hurt a thing, more tire, more traction. Unless your forearms are built like a 9 year old girls one inch will not be noticible. Also I wouldn't bother with getting the radials unless you are planning on doing nothing but trail riding, even then, if you have a newer 500 then you have an Independant suspension and the plush ride of the radial will be mostly wasted. I have 27's on my old suzuki 500, it's a manual so I don't have to worry about a clutch kit, and they do just fine, but really the extra 1/2 inch of clearance for a newer machine that already has a foot of clearance might just be overkill. However in the world of four wheeling, when is overkill not awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Barlinator View Post

Before I make my order, I wanted to see if anyone had any advise on the following.

2. 26" VS 27"

I have aluminum rims for the stock tires and am assuming these rims will still work for these tires.

Appreciate any feedback!

Mike
    Those are the tires I got. They are the XTR's. I have an 500 X2. Went out to Jim Creek/ Knik/ Glacier and they did really well. Here's what they look like on stock rims.

Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

I have 27" 589's on my sportsman 500 (for 7 years now) with no problems at all.

I have 26/10/12 (front) and 26/12/12 (rear) Mudlite XLs on my Grizzly 700. I like the wider tire because it gives you more stability on off camber lines. A lot of guys go with 12s on all four wheels and report good results.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default spacer required?

Check with the Polaris dealer, but I think a spacer is required if you use stock rims.

Quote Originally Posted by bgreania View Post
    Check with the Polaris dealer, but I think a spacer is required if you use stock rims.
    Nope.....no spacer.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I beleive that the folks at Eagle River Polaris said I will need a spacer for the XTR's.

Thanks again.

I run 26x9x12 Mudlite XL's all the way around on my Foreman and really like them a lot. Been through nasty mud, ice, snow, rivers, very steep dry trails and have not had 1 single problem with them. I also use them for plowing my driveway and they are the shizzle. I would get the 26's instead of the 27's, they'll be easier on your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Barlinator View Post
    Currently have 26/8/12 & 26/11/12 stock tires. For a recent Birthday, my wife bought me 4 Mudlites (XL) 27/9/12. ($400.00). I decided to see if I could get them a bit cheaper and found them for 228.00 delivered to Wasilla. I could get the XTR's for another $100.00

I spoke to one of the guys at Eagle River Polaris who was really helpful. He thought that 27" was a bit much for the 500, and that I should get a thinner tire in front for handling purposes. He also cautioned me from getting anything too aggressive as I might exceed what the 500 can handle. He did recommend the XTR's over the XL's.

2. 26" VS 27"

Appreciate any feedback!

Mike
    Barlinator,

Just realized I posted to this thread without looking at the originator. As you know, I have the same quad as you (although in slightly worse shape since the wife decided to use it in a "crash test"). The folks at Eagle River Polaris are on the right track by suggesting you stay with the 26" tires. The Polaris 500 is just too underpowered to make good use of the 27s. You will notice significant power loss with 27s. I personally, would go with 26/10/12s (front) and 26/12/12s (rear). The Mudlites are cheaper than the XTRs but the XTRs ride better. I rode Holcomb's AC700 a few weeks ago and the ride (on pavement) was noticeably better than my XLs. This difference is less noticed on the trail. I would go with wider tires because it makes your quad feel more stable and planted on "off camber" situations. You should also look at the Maxxis Bighorns. They have great reviews and will probably be the next tire I put on my Rhino and Grizzly.

No spacer should be required if you stick with the 26" tires.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default Tires

I have a Sportsman 400 and this last summer put on some mudders, AMS swamp fox plus, love them, very aggressive in the mud but still smooth ride on gravel. I did have to have spacers added for the front tires since they were wider then originals.