Thread: Late May in PWS

Default Late May in PWS

I will be on a hunt in the PWS the last week of May. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a little advise on a few good places to fish there during that time. Any creeks or rivers that are good and maybe some ideas on someplace to hook a few chickens and rock fish.

There won't be any salmon in the creeks yet. You should try casting small spinners in the salt near the mouths of the creeks, though. You might find some cutthroat trout feeding on migrating smolt. They're beautiful little fish with a lot of spunk for their size!

As for rockfish, look for steep drop-offs and rocky pinnacles. Halibut can be a crapshoot in PWS. I've done well in some places, and have been absolutely skunked in that same place. PWS is generally too deep for consistent halibut action, and the few productive spots that do exist are closely guarded secrets.

Default sounds good

I know there won't be any salmon. Its just so deep everywere out there. And i don't know anything about the creeks. Cutthroats you say. What about the cloudy glacier creeks? I camped at the mouth of one last year but didn't try fishing it. Are there fish in them? Thanks for your advise.

granite bay should have quite a few chum by then
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.