Thread: Transporter for PWS

Question Transporter for PWS

Hi All:

I am hoping someone could recommend a transporter either from Whittier or Valdez for a PWS Black Bear drop-camp hunt. I have all the gear for this type of hunt - so it seems to make sence to just use a transporter.

All I can find (so far) is Riptide Charters - their voicemail box is full (not sure if that is a good or bad sign) and I can not find an email address or website (may not have one?).

This will be my first hunt in PWS. Initially considered a "hunt from the boat" charter, but I am afraud of being violently sea-sick for the whole time - any comments on how much sea sickness is an issue on these types of hunts would be appreciated.

Best Regards - RSC Hunter

Charter boats, most of the charters I see during bear season are laying at anchor in protected bays. If you have can get to the hunting area you should be fine on the boat. PWS can be wet and cold in the spring. Someplace warm and dry would be nice. Have hunted it quite a bit. My favorite place to play in Alaska. You will love it, bears will be on the fresh green grass. You can climb up after them or work the beaches. Good Luck

Steve

Riptide Charters from Whittier. Jay Jensen 907 929-1798 or 632-0360 I don't know which one you are trying. He doesn't have a website anymore.

Boat based hunts can vary, I've done some of those two, usually in parties for 5 or 6 hunters. Last time we had one guy that was sick the whole time. Unusual, but I think he was the type that got sick in the bath tub.

Question Thanks

Thank you both for the reply - I will try the other number for Riptide Charters (I only had the 929-1798 number).

Thanks again!

RSC Hunter

Try Brooke with epic charters. He runs a top shelf outfit and will drop you where ever you want. http://www.epicchartersalaska.com/Wa...xi-Service.htm

I second Jay with Riptide, too. He works his tail off!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

try sea otter charters out of whittier
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Thanks for all the good information

Thanks again to everyone that has responded to my request for information.

I will also try to contact Epic and Sea Otter for availability and rates.

Best Refgards and Happy Hunting! - RSC Hunter

Default Land use permits

Make sure to check to see if these "transporters" are permitted by the USFS. Protect our resource as well as yourself.

I would love to do a duck/ deer hunt in PWS in early Dec. Let me know what you find out.

Default What?

Quote Originally Posted by buckwear View Post
    Make sure to check to see if these "transporters" are permitted by the USFS. Protect our resource as well as yourself.
    Paying crazy fees so that it is more cost prohibitive to conduct buiseness protects the reasources how?

Also the way you put quotation marks around the word transporters is extremely degrading. I am not a transporter but do plan be one in the future. You can bet I will have all the neccasary permits and insurance and liscences. But I won't like alot of it.

A guy hauls some hunters out to one of the islands to deer hunt and does not get off his boat, why should he pay the forest service. It is just another tax in a long list of legalized plunder.

RSC Hunter. Shoot me a PM if you look into going out of Valdez. I can help with the logistics and recommendations on the Transporters here.