Thread: Bushrat?

Default Bushrat?

Where are ya? I've missed seeing pictures and hearing about your trips.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Where are ya? I've missed seeing pictures and hearing about your trips.
    He's been MIA for quite some time now.
    Lurker.

Hope him and his family are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Hope him and his family are ok.
    I agree. I sure do hope that they are all doing good. There are many of us that have wondered how he is doing. As soon as one knows, I am sure that we all will know. Honestly, I don't think that he realizes how much he has been missed on the boards.
    Lurker.

Default All is well...

Hey gals,

Thanks for the concern. All is well here, just back off the trapline and had a good day with the dogs. Our two youngest are back home over Christmas break and we are also back a couple days ago from a few days on the trail. Will post some pics of them in one of the trapline cabins and a typical dogs'-rear-end pic <grin>.

Georganne, how is the doggie stuff coming along there? I just told Megan and Keane you guys had a dog driver position available...too bad they can't take you up on it! They are sure having fun skijoring and getting out with the dogs here and taking a break from UAF and finals and waking up early and all that good college stuff. In the pic below are three of the "spoiled rotten pups" from Keane's Mushing magazine article from last spring. They are now 18 months old and really doing great. Brutus, the dog with Keane on the left, ran in lead most of today, can't remember in the the twenty-plus years that I've been mushing that I had a good leader this young, really a pleasure to work with them and indeed they are still spoiled rotten and in the house every evening for a couple hours.

CotoAK, taking a leave of absence in general from gen-discussion, happy new year to you and yours and hope you are enjoying these unusual mild temps this winter.
    Best, Mark

Dec 27th On the Trail

nice looking dogs Mark, glad they are working out for you.

Glad to see all is well. Happy New Year...

Ron

Oh gorgeous dogs, especially that Brutus. I'd love to hear of his progress. Those are good looking kids too. Looks like they are having a great time. We are trying out new leaders this year and think we may have a couple good ones. The dogs in the kennel are aging and we lost a few this year. Jan just got a new one from the euthanasia list who apparently has experience. But her dad is in the hospital so we haven't had time to check her out yet. Anyways, good to hear from you.

Oh yea, we have a woman from Norway who has been living off the grid and running a team who is coming this week on a 3 month Visa. Hopefully she can run enough dogs to keep them in condition so we can take a few longer tours this winter. Our handler is great and takes the dogs out on the 4 wheeler but there are too many dogs for her alone. She is not experienced so is only comfortable with 6 dogs at a time.

Default here's our old team...

the white dog in lead is my only command leader, nearly 13 and 90% deaf, the sibe next to her is the same age. single dog in team is Kanda, sister of bushrat's Brutus. (hoping to breed her to a nice MacKenzie we know). wheel dogs are both 8 or 9, right side is ours and the dark one we are boarding for a month. we don't go far or fast anymore...but we still have some fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Great pic, Dave. Neat to see Kanda in the team!

Georganna, sorry to hear about the aging dogs. We all go through that and I know how hard it can be. Hope the new handler enjoys her stay and works out okay. Kids and I were looking at muzzy's place website and they both commented how nice and comfy that yurt looks and that the cooking there would be "just like home." <grin> Say hi to Jan for me please and we hope her dad gets better.

Happy trails,

Oh the yurt is fantastic! It has microwave, little fridge, wireless internet, cable, phone, couch, bed, berber carpet, porta potty (though most use it only in emergencies as the house bathroom is available) closet, heater that can handle it down to about -30. Jan's dad Carl cooks wonderful meals. He watches the food channel and is always trying new things.