Thread: Sitka mountain gear

Default Sitka mountain gear

Has anyone tried this clothing? If so, How did you like it?
    Adison

I got the 90 degree jacket yesterday. Too soon to say from my own experience.

However, I was out in the field for 3 weeks of the prototype testing and the stuff did well.

Great stuff, top end outdoor clothing. Nice camo pattern for Alaska and it dries fast and holds up to heavy brush.

Steve

The wife got me the mountain shirt for X-Mas, neither of their pants fit me right so though I liked em they wont fly. Jacket looked good too but damm, lots of $$$$ considering other options for a lightweight jacket.

the mtn. hardware tech jacket is another option, $185. you can find it for less if you do some looking. windproof and pit zips, very light, no hood.

stay warm.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    The wife got me the mountain shirt for X-Mas, Jacket looked good too but damm, lots of $$$$ considering other options for a lightweight jacket.

The pants at close to $200 are even more rediculously priced than the jacket.

how was the shirt? have your worn it outside in the wind yet?

enjoy, stay warm.

I havent had it on outside yet, it looks like a great shirt to wear in the mountains, though I have many others that work well too. This was the best value for quality item I have bought in a long time.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...805&hasJS=true

I got it from Cabelas and took it sheep hunting and to Kodiak this year, its awesome. I have Berber fleece, wooltimate and other stuff too but I really dig this jacket. It is windproof, dries quick,packs well and I invested a whole $60. I would recommend this coat to anyone without reservation and for the price, its pretty hard to beat.

no you can't beat that for $60. although, i am not a fan of cabela's house brand of stuff, there are a few, very few exceptions to this rule.

stay warm.

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    The pants at close to $200 are even more rediculously priced than the jacket.

how was the shirt? have your worn it outside in the wind yet?

enjoy, stay warm.
    No doubt they are ridiculously expensive, the ones I considered buying were the lighter ones ($100) I cant remember what they are called, I had some gift certificates for Sportsmans Warehouse and tried on several pairs they just didn't fit me right. I'd never spend the $200+ for the heavier pants just dont see the value.

Thumbs up

The mountain pants work great,have used them for two seasons now,tough,dry fast,and are pretty queit.Will pick up a mnt. shirt later.I think they had all their stuff on sale on their website.

I use a Mont Bell or Patagonia Micro puff jacket,lightweight,warm and copact.coues

I've never used the stuff but I had some friends up this fall and they did a blackie hunt in the sound. They brought there sitka gear and left the helly hansons in my garage. when they got back, they threw away there sitka stuff.

I guess there last 3 days were pretty wet and misarable. Not sure what brands of coats and pants but I laughed cuz, I told them to bring a second set of raingear.

I got the 90% pants and used them on one hunt. Lived in them for 10 days and they worked great. I'm gonna get the jacket next.

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    I've never used the stuff but I had some friends up this fall and they did a blackie hunt in the sound. They brought there sitka gear and left the helly hansons in my garage. when they got back, they threw away there sitka stuff.

I guess there last 3 days were pretty wet and misarable. Not sure what brands of coats and pants but I laughed cuz, I told them to bring a second set of raingear.
    Huh, that was pretty stupid on their part. The Sitka gear from what I understand and have seen is that it's NOT rain gear. It is weather resistant for a time. I've been checking the stuff out and trying it on and there is no way I would trust it as raingear. I like the vest and coat, I don't like the way the pants fit and to have to hem up a $120 pair of pants is ridiculous. 34x34?? Even in the world of cheap jeans you can atleast buy them in your size. The sporthill pants are way more comfortable IMO and you can get them in different lengths and aren't as baggy.

The shirts seem kind of nice but the pockets are a joke to me. Not much room for more than a pack of gum and some chapstick. No way you could even put a pair of pocket binos or a rangefinder in them. But, what does a guy expect for 80 or 90 bucks? But the 90% Jacket and the vest seem very nice indeed. By the way, sagecreekoutfitters.com is selling 2007 Sitka gear for 20% off.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

The manager at Scheels told me that Sitka is coming out with a nearly all new line for 08. They had their 07 stuff marked way down. 08 supposed to be ready by June.

I hate the fact that most outdoor gear is geared towards midgets. I can't find a pair of hiking, snow, or hunting pants that has an inseam longer than 34", and most are 32". The ones that are longer typically cost a good bit more. It's not much fun to wear highwater pants around everywhere and have your friend (whitepalm) make fun of you all the time.

snyd is corect.

not rain gear, far from it, weather resistent. really just wind resistent.

now that i have the jacket , i will try to give it a wringing out next season.

plenty of quality gear out there. if you did not like the pants, check out the mammut champ pants.

Sitka makes their own rain gear also (the downpour pants and jacket)....CK

I used the Sitka Gear Mountain Pants and shirt on Kodiak for a goat hunt this past October and was very pleased with its performance. I have used many different combinations over the last few years with varrying degrees of success but will now stick with the Sitka Gear. I don't know how anyone could mistake the Sitka Gear for raingear. I used it in combination with my HH Impertec with no problems.