Thread: Rookie

Default Rookie

I am taking my 70 year old father to Alaska this summer for a father/son fishing trip. We have never been there and hail from Michigan. I am just beginning to search the net for locations, etc.. I want it to be a low maintenance trip where we stay at a lodge/cabin that would provide us with all of the fishing gear, etc... We would just show up and be ready to fish. My father is not very mobile so I want it to be boat fishing where he will not have to walk much. Can someone recomend a location/lodge/charter compnay that is easy to get to upon arrival into the Ankhorage airport? We are on a budget but do not want to go cheap. We are looking for a good quality lodge with great hospitality and a great fishing experience. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Talkeetna, AK

I would suggest one of the lodges near either the Lake Creek area or on the Kenai, for easiest access from Anchorage. For Lake Creek the McDougall Lodge is a great place to start your search and there are hundreds of places to stay along the Kenai River and Peninsula, Gwyn's Lodge is a good family-run style lodge and grill.

There are several other folks on this forum that have much more experience down south.

Hope this gets you started! - Alaskan Wilderness Fishing & Rafting

Bandon, OR

I won't recommend anything in SE since you said you're flying into ANC, but I'm curious about what made you choose there? If you did want a few suggestions for SE (AK Air has direct service into Juneau and Ketchikan, and 1 or 2 stop service to Sitka, Yakutat, Wrangell, etc.) drop me a PM or post back and I'll be happy to drop some good names in SE.

M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR

Big Lake Alaska

Question Time of Year Dictates

SE has some great fishing opportunities. I am certain that CanCan will set you up with the best and you will avoid Anchorage and be in the "real" Alaska.

But what are you wanting to do? This will dictate the time of year you come up. Homer has some great charters for Halibut and there are some great fishing opportunities in Prince William Sound (PWS).

Good luck and welcome!

1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469

Default Ditto....

Please be more specific as to what kind of fishing/fish you want to catch; although I love our place on the Kenai, Kodiak or South East may be more of what you're envisioning Alaska to be (remote, calm waters (S.E.), more in tune with saltwater fishing, etc.). Timing, as said, is a critical component of when you come and what you're after. Good luck & Happy New Year!

@ Seminary, Dubuque Ia

I would say that the good ol' Kenai/Homer(/Seward) combo might suit your needs well. you could rent a car in Anchorage and see some beautiful scenery while driving down to the peninsula. Sheep off to your left while following the Turnagin arm followed by moose and mountians etc. after that followed by more sheep and wildlife. Tons of guides on the Kenai (all of whom provide all of the gear) you will fish out of an open 'sled' boat Kasilof offers a drift boat fishery. You can then go for Halibut there are charters in Ninilchik, Deep creek, and Homer that will accommidate your needs.