Thread: Crow Pass in the Winter

Default Crow Pass in the Winter

Has anyone done Crow Pass in the winter?

Seems like it would be pretty easy with snowshoes or skiis, though might want to wait until more daylight

I have some friends who have done it. The avalanche danger just over the pass and all through Raven Valley can be pretty ridiculous. It is managable, but make sure that you are travelling with someone and that both of you have avalanche training and gear (beacons, shovels, probes). Once you make it to the Eagle River, though, life will be good. They covered the last 12 miles in no time, as they ran the river on skis instead of following the trail through the woods.

Default Avalanche info for Talkeetna Range

Do you know of a website that posts current advisories for the Talkeetna range? Specifically Hatcher Pass and surrounding areas?

Even if you don't, please reply, as I just joined and want to make sure I'm set up correctly.

Thanks ~

Not that I know of. There are current advisories posted 5 days a week for the Turnagain Pass area, but I don't believe that funding exists for advisories for the Talkeetnas.

Quote Originally Posted by deggeg View Post
    Do you know of a website that posts current advisories for the Talkeetna range? Specifically Hatcher Pass and surrounding areas?

Even if you don't, please reply, as I just joined and want to make sure I'm set up correctly.

Thanks ~
    www.crust.outlookalaska.com is a good site for weather info and snow conditions in s.c. alaska.