Thread: Taking a shotgun on a Caribou drop hunt?

Default Taking a shotgun on a Caribou drop hunt?

A friend and I are planning a drop hunt for Caribou in Unit 26 this coming fall and are considering taking a shotgun for birds. Is it worth bringing the shotgun to chase birds with?

Default Grouse and P-Chickens

Are really, really, really stupid! You can bring a nice .22 pistol like a ruger gov't model, or browning buck mark and just clip their heads off.

Unless, you plan on sharing the same rifle for caribou.

It can be done. However, I like having my own rifle and put the fate of harvesting a caribou in my own hands instead of another.

JMO

Default Slingshot

A slingshot would do.

Default bb gun

I always bring my little pumpmaster 760 BB/Pellet gun. It is perfect for keeping the Camp Robbers(grey jay's) off the meat, and I usually get a grouse or 2.

We've done it and its a lot of fun chasing the ptarmigain after you're done with caribou. We had a little .410 pump. But moosehunter is correct, you can take them with a .22 pistol.

if you got room bring it I say! wingshooting rules!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default if there's waterfowl, yes

i hunted caribou out of bethel and there where ducks and geese all over the place. but if you want ptarmigan, these guys are absolutely right about taking a 22 pistol instead.

I use a TCR, in .338 Win Mag for my flyins. I also have a 12 ga barrel for it. A lone single barrel does not take up that much room, or weight. After I get a caribou or moose, I put the shotgun barrel on and enjoy shooting ducks, geese, grouse, and ptarmigan. Even shot a crane one year, toughest thing I ever tried to eat.

Also works great when a gut pile is 40 yards across the river and varmits come in at night. Better for shooting under moon lite than a rifle.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Nope, I am not really, really stupid (nor am I generally rude), and yes I know that a .22 pistol will work, but I like wing shooting. To clarify, have those of you who have hunted unit 26 for caribou seen enough birds to make it worth while to take a shotgun to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by rnnhntr View Post
    Nope, I am not really, really stupid (nor am I generally rude), and yes I know that a .22 pistol will work, but I like wing shooting. To clarify, have those of you who have hunted unit 26 for caribou seen enough birds to make it worth while to take a shotgun to play with.

You might want to reread his quote, it says the birds are really, really stupid.

Smile

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnnhntr

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    You might want to reread his quote, it says the birds are really, really stupid.

LOL........

rnnhtr,

I'm generally not rude, but I can be when needed.

I know that Commi-fornia living down there can be fast paced....Slow down.....

Take a deep breath....release....and read my prior post again.

Good..

Now that you made it perfectly clear that you love wingshooting, I do too. Waterfowl hunting is my favorite hunting. Hope to see you in the waterfowl forum too.

The big thing with fly-in hunting is reducing you weight to the minimum cause if you get your big kritters you have to get back up in the air. That's why most of us recommend the .22 solution.

Default I must learn to read one of these days!

1) Take deep cleansing breaths to help dispel the embarrasment.

2) Now, put on reading glasses so I can see what was posted not what I thought was posted.

3) Follow immediately with an appology for the misunderstanding on my part.

Alaskanmoosehunter, sorry about that. I'm glad that you guys up there in the free world understand that those of us down here who are condemned to California occassionally feel a bit cornered.

Dave
    Last edited by rnnhntr; 12-27-2007 at 16:32. Reason: Clarification

What do you guys think of the idea of a drilling for this hunt? I have a decent one in 16-gauge over 7x65R (essentially a rimmed .280 Remington) with a 2.5x10 scope in claw mounts. I'd have a decent shotgun and a good singleshot rifle all in one.

Thanks for humoring this cheechako.

A drilling would work. A .280 will work, or the metric equivelant. Just pick your shot. My daughter took a nice bull with a 7mm 08. There can be plenty of ptarmigain and even waterfowl. And we do take pity on those condemned to live in California.

Default scattergun

Heck yea, I'd take it...as long as weight and space are not a problem. Have fun eating tons and tons of ptarmigan!

Default My 2 cents worth

Only been to AK(have pitty on me) once and that was to unit 23 this year. The ptarmigan we saw did not offer a "wing" shooting opertunity. Had a hard time getting them to fly anywhere except to the next branch. Could have killed them with a stick.
    **** I want to get back up there.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    I always bring my little pumpmaster 760 BB/Pellet gun. It is perfect for keeping the Camp Robbers(grey jay's) off the meat, and I usually get a grouse or 2.
    Did you know those gray jays are worth $500 each?

Bury 'em deep my friend.

Default Been There Done Both

I use to hunt Unit 26 every other year on a drop off hunt for Boo and we always enjoyed chasing birds first year took a nice little double 410 needless to say no challange. Started carrying 22 pistol much more fun because as stated they just do not like to fly and brother we tried and tried to get them up for some Wang Shooten!

Just food for thought "No Pun" intended.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Had a hard time getting them to fly anywhere except to the next branch. Could have killed them with a stick.
    **** I want to get back up there.
    Bruce
    Reminds me of my first deer hunting trip ever up in Wyoming. I was with my father-in-law and we saw some sage grouse around. He asked if I wanted some for dinner. I replied with "ummm, I think this 30-30 will blow it up." He laughed, pick up a rock and threw it at the bird that was sitting on a branch. Knocked it clean off. As it flopped a bit on the ground he went over and popped its head right off. I was speechless!!