Thread: Anyone use the "Kershaw Blade Trader Alaskan" knives??

Default Anyone use the "Kershaw Blade Trader Alaskan" knives??

I'm not much of a "Gimick" knife kind of a guy. I usually pack a couple of fixed blad knives in the pack & that's it.
    I received a "Kershaw Blade Trader Alaskan" from my folks for Christmas & wondered if anyone has any experience with them.
    The folks live 3,000 miles away so they'll never know if it doesn't make it on a moose hunt.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I don't know about that knife, but have all sorts of knives, some of which are expensive, others that are not. A skinner that has worked very well for me has been one made by Victorynox. It's sold by Smokey mountain Knifeworks, and listed as a "butcher" knife in their catalog. It costs around $16.00, but I have bought it locally for $14.00. The blade is around 4" long, and has a large dark plastic handle that has a non-skid finish. This is an excellent feature to avoid a bloody hand from slipping on the grip. The blade is made of a thin surgical steel, and the edge lasts quite a long time once it has been properly sharpened, but it's very difficult to sharpen unless you do so with the exact angle on a sharpening tool.

I just like knives, and purchased another one at the local Sportsman Warehouse this week. I was looking around, and saw a Buck 392 Fixed Hunter knife. Big black handle with a grip. A broad blade that should make it easy for skinning, with a drop point. The blade should be around 4" in length, and seems to be very sharp. If I am lucky again this year, I will try it on moose and see how it performs.

Vance
    I have the knife set you are talking about. I donít know about you but I am always pressed for weight when it comes to hunting. This has lead me to choose my other knives over bringing the set or the handle and a coupe of loose blades. I have taken it fishing but you usually are traveling much shorter distances and can get there via car vice plane. I do like the filet knife very much. Just my $0.02

Drew

Thumbs down Blade Trader

Vance
    I have the Alaskan Blade Trader

http://www.knivestown.com/kershaw_kn...ols_100468.asp

I can say the blades and saw are good steel and work really good for there intended purposes. However I have trouble with the blade release mechinism and you have to be real careful to keep the bowtie lock very clean of debrie when you change blades. I was using the blade hard and it popped apart and cost me 10 stitches in my hand. Be careful with it.

I got one for my dad and it is "neat" I wouldn't trust it for back country hunting/hiking. The blade lock mechanism does not seem to be as strong as I would like. I agree it is purty sharp though

Default I have used mine for about 10 years now!

I love it! Have gutted plenty of moose and bou's with it!

It's great for gutting and skinning...But I agree with the others, it's not a good knife for hard work or to souly trust out in nowheresville. (Bring a good locking or fixed blade with you.)

But take that saw it comes with and throw it as far as you can.....It is a worthless piece of sheet metal. Then get a wyoming saw instead.

Default Blade Trader

I am not sure which one is the 'Alaskan Blade Trader', but my wife and I both have the blader trader pack that has about six blades or so. We have had them for many years and have used them a lot. While not the perfect set-up, they can be handy. Traveling on 4 wheelers, we do not need to watch ouir weight that close.
    Where they really work good for us is back at either camp or home when we are cutting and animal up.
    Good luck with them.