Thread: Pttersburg boat rentals

Default Pttersburg boat rentals

Can anyone give me any info on boat rentals in the Petersburg area?Thanks.

Don't know if they rent directly, but give Rocky's Marine in Petersburg a call. At least they can point you in the right direction. If that doesn't pan out, Allen marine in Juneau rents some nicely equipped boats too... It's a great run from Juneau to Petersburg, especially in May when the weather is calm and the halibut begin moving in to Frederick Sound...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pm ak_boater I'm pretty sure his family runs a rental place
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    pm ak_boater I'm pretty sure his family runs a rental place
    ...But be sure to post back with what you find out. "A PM helps one person, one time, but a message 'out in the open' can help many..."

(I only say so because I'm quite curious on this one too.)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am also interested

Default Boat Rentals

Here ya go for Petersburg

http://www.doylesboatrentals.com/

Gooch

Lightbulb Try Scandia house Rentals

Doyles Alaska boat rental is good and the guy who runs it is real nice (I met him last summer). If memory serves me I think the boats go for around ~$129 per day. They're decent aluminum skiffs and I think he has them up to 20 foot or so, gassed and ready to go.

If its just you and a couple others, I'd rent a 16-18' Lund from Scandia house. Scandia house is one of the better local hotels about 2 min walk from the skiff dock where the skiffs are located (http://scandiahousehotel.com/). They rent 16-18 ft Lunds with 40hp outboards (consule steering, not tiller). Last I checked the going rate was $99/day. Whenever I'm in Petersburg (which is quite often) I'm always seeing Scandia house skiffs out on the water. If there's a larger group with you fishing, just rent two skiffs and fish near eachother! While Doyles skiffs are a bit nicer, they're really only a slight advantage on the water (I think he offers a 90hp 18foot skiff which would offer better flexibility and more space though I think the price is a bit higher). Anyway, can you go wrong with a lund is SE-AK? I've seen guys pull 150+ lb halibut out of these skiffs.

Default Doyle's vs Scandia House

I've rented from George Doyle twice. The first year it was a 16' skiff and last year it was an 18' skiff. Both were tiller steering. A week long rental includes a crab trap and that is worth a lot! I preferred the 18' as it had a bigger engine and was faster, but the 16' boat was very adequate for four of us. When you add 200 pounds of halibut, it slowed some, but still a good ride. George, his wife and son are very pleasant and will take good care of you. We appreciated the extra help he gave us when we needed it to transport a 125 lb. fish to town!

I have not rented a skiff from Scandia House, but I did rent a car there last year, and will again this year. They are also great people, and have a shuttle to and from the airport. Take a look at their establishment and you can tell what their operation is like: excellent. I don't think you could go wrong with either place.

Default Some minor corrections

Quote Originally Posted by mrdan81 View Post
    Doyles Alaska boat rental is good and the guy who runs it is real nice (I met him last summer). If memory serves me I think the boats go for around ~$129 per day. They're decent aluminum skiffs and I think he has them up to 20 foot or so, gassed and ready to go.

If its just you and a couple others, I'd rent a 16-18' Lund from Scandia house. Scandia house is one of the better local hotels about 2 min walk from the skiff dock where the skiffs are located (http://scandiahousehotel.com/). They rent 16-18 ft Lunds with 40hp outboards (consule steering, not tiller). Last I checked the going rate was $99/day. Whenever I'm in Petersburg (which is quite often) I'm always seeing Scandia house skiffs out on the water. If there's a larger group with you fishing, just rent two skiffs and fish near eachother! While Doyles skiffs are a bit nicer, they're really only a slight advantage on the water (I think he offers a 90hp 18foot skiff which would offer better flexibility and more space though I think the price is a bit higher). Anyway, can you go wrong with a lund is SE-AK? I've seen guys pull 150+ lb halibut out of these skiffs.
    MrDan,
    While most of your info is correct there are a few differences between the two. I would agree both boat rentals are quality operations(I'm a bit biased because my family runs Doyles) The Scandia boats are 10+ year old lunds running two-cycle motors and Doyles Boats all run 4 strokes. Both companies outfit 18' skiffs with 40hp engines, both run yamaha's. In a side by side comparison we've found that the 4 strokes burn 1/3 to 1/2 the gas that 2 cycles burn. So while the prices are a little bit higher you don't buy as much gas. Doyles also has a 21' Hewescraft with a 4 stroke 150 and a 6 hp kicker. The Scandia 18' lunds go for $115/day for guests and $125 for anyone else. The Doyles 18' boats go for $135/day.

Truesdale, it's good to know we're remembered. I hope things are going well over there in Maple syrup country.
    AKBoater