Thread: Rhino Co-op

Default Rhino Co-op

I am in the hunt for a 2008 700FI Yamaha Rhino. I just started, so have a lot of work ahead of me. I was thinking that it makes sense to co-op effort, information, and buying power.
    How much could we save if a group of people worked together to buy, in this case Yamaha products, from the same source? Just thinking outloud.

Thumbs up Count me in

I don't have the answer to discounts, but I am in the market for a 2008 Rhino 700 as well. I am looking to purchase sometime around the end of Jan to Mar. Purchase time is open as I just want to make sure I have in time for spring/summer. Next time I am the dealer I will ask about getting a discount.

Steve

Default Work together

I am in FAI and plan on checking out the local options. As of right now I don't know if Delta or Healy has a Yamaha dealer or not, but I will know soon.
    It would help to have ANC and Valley folks checking down there as they probably are more intimately familiar with dealers and who to do business with or stay away from.
    Buying ATVs in Whitehorse used to be a good option, but don't know now due to the value of their dollar.
    At least to start with we can get prices on individual units, availability, and costs of options. From there we will have a better idea on who may be interested and then know how much buying power we will have.

I bought my Griz from the Fun Center in 02. Nice folks to deal with. They treated my like they wanted my business. The "other guys" well....let's just say I have QUITE a story. I've wanted a Rhino ever since they came out. Still trying to talk the wife into though. That 700 looks like the hot setup.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I am in the hunt for a 2008 700FI Yamaha Rhino. I just started, so have a lot of work ahead of me. I was thinking that it makes sense to co-op effort, information, and buying power.
    How much could we save if a group of people worked together to buy, in this case Yamaha products, from the same source? Just thinking outloud.
    Easiest way to find out is talk to a dealer find the best price they can give you, and then ask what if I bought 3 of them would they drop the price. It worked for me on 6x6's in 2000. They gave me an extra 500.00 off per unit.

Default dealers

JKB, that is pretty much what I was thinking. If a guy like you were interested and looked around Big Lake while others looked elsewhere, that would be ideal. I have co-oped before, and it can work if people get involved and commit. It does get tough when a lot of work goes into it and then everybody decides for whatever reason to back out.
    I personally would like to keep my money here in FAI since this is where I live. But I am willing at the right price to buy from any reputable dealer in Alaska, and if necessary would head outside to buy. Right now it looks like the bare bones Rhino is running over 10G and if several buyers got together that should encourage a dealer to sharpen the pencil.
    I will keep looking and talking to see where it leads. Snyd, I have stories about the business you used from way back in the 1970s. I am sure all of us at one time or another have had negative dealings with somebody. My goal is to find the product I want at a price I can afford and back that up with service.

The biggest problem with buying multiple machines (assuming everyone is serious about buying) is availability. Most local dealers only have one or maybe two Rhinos in stock at any one time. Say you have three people that want to buy. One or two of the three will not get their machine until they are delivered to the dealer and the build is completed. Now, you have to decide who gets the machine available and who has to wait. That wait can be as much as three months in many cases. Or you have to purchase from multiple dealers to all get your Rhinos at the same time...thus defeating the reason for the dealer giving you a discount. Unfortunately, the dealer cannot just order three Rhinos and have them delivered the following week. Yamaha (and most other manufacturers) do not do it that way. I have had great dealings with Anchorage Yamaha (several years ago) and Performance Yamaha in Wasilla (this year). I purchased a 2007 Rhino 660 last March and a 2007 Grizzly 700 w/EPS in August. Ben Bowers, at Performance Yamaha, will give you the best deal he can. He hooked me up and saved me over a thousand dollars on my Grizzly purchase alone. Service after the sale has been awesome as well. The only other option I see for you all is to contact the largest Yamaha Rhino dealer in the state...http://riverandseamarine.com/ . They sell more Rhinos than anyone else in Alaska. I only dealt with them one time (They installed my Rhinogear Heater), but they were fantastic to deal with. They are located in Soldotna and had several 660s and 450s in stock. They would be your best bet to all be able to get machines at the same time and get the discount you are hoping for. Give them a call and see what they say. Even if you do not buy from them, give the Rhinogear heater a look. It is the best heater I have seen and they are the only ones that sell and install it in the state. Good luck!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default Thanks Muddy

If we all get together and make a decision in the next month or so, any dealer ought to be able to fill the order by May 1 I would think. I also was thinking about co-oping with anybody wanting any type of Yamaha ATV, not just the Rhino. Seems like there is a pretty good following for the Grizzlies too.
    I'll start making phone calls and get to know some of the dealers over the phone. Then it is a matter of everybody working together to pass on info and then commit to a purchase.
    Sounds like you have been using that 07 660. Do you like it? Do you see any reason to upgrade to the 700FI? The Rhino I buy will live upriver at the cabin. Its main purpose in life will be to transport people and gear across the gravel bar, up a slight 6' embankment, and 100 yards up a level trail. It will also bring in some firewood. This machine will not be a hill climbing, bog busting, mud slinging monster. With that said, what do you guys think about sticking with the 660 or smaller 450?

AK River Rat...
    Just dropped in to see what was going on with this topic. It is 4:30am and my brain is on "stew". I get off work at 6am and head home to Palmer. Let me get some sleep and then I will answer your questions. I'm afraid if I try to think about anything right now my brain would "pop"! I need coffee...lots of coffee...

AKMuddy
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Default FI vs carb

The machines get very little use at the cabin. In the spring, it seems like it takes a lot to get the carbureted 4W running now, so my thought is that a FI model might be easier to get fired up after a long winter, or as it has sat throughout the summer.
    Certainly I don't need the power of a 700 for what I am doing. If the FI does not give me a significant starting advantage, then maybe I am better off with less power in a carb model for less money?

Sounds like you have been using that 07 660. Do you like it? Do you see any reason to upgrade to the 700FI? The Rhino I buy will live upriver at the cabin. Its main purpose in life will be to transport people and gear across the gravel bar, up a slight 6' embankment, and 100 yards up a level trail. It will also bring in some firewood. This machine will not be a hill climbing, bog busting, mud slinging monster. With that said, what do you guys think about sticking with the 660 or smaller 450?
    AK River Rat,

I got a little sleep so here we go....
    I love my 660 and find new reasons to use it all the time. The gearing on the 450 is a little different and most people find it a more than capable machine. Especially, when you look at the cost savings over the 660. The fact is that the 450 has almost the same top speed (38mph vs 40mph stock) as the 660 and can tow and haul the same amount. The only down side to the 450 is not having as many aftermarket parts and accessories available as the 660. For your described use, I would go with the 450 over the 660. The money you will save can go into upgrades. Now the cold start issue is an easy one to fix...Going with the 700fi will help but the cost difference just doesn't make sense. You can pick up a "cold start wire kit" from Hunterworks on the internet and all your "cold start" problems will be solved. The Rhino is notorious for its cold starting issues. A company called "Hunterworks" has tackled this problem and found a few solutions. I will provide a few links below so you can read for yourself. Tod (Hunter's father) is the owner of Hunterworks. I have talked to him on several occasions and he is a "straight shooter" when it comes to UTV information. He tests everything he sells on his dyno. He explains why half the accessories sold for UTVs don't work as advertised. You can rest assured, if he sells it...it works! He has one of the best reputations in the business for Rhino parts. Additionally, they have great customer service. Give them a call (number on the web page) and talk to "Amber" when you order. Shipping is well packaged and fast!

Here are the links:

Rhino Cold Start Wire - http://www.hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/19172

Hunterworks Main Web Page - http://www.hunterworks.com/home

Go to the Hunterworks Forum and read the "Tech Articles" (very top of the forums page) and see why most performance mods don't work on UTVs (Rhino, Prowler, Ranger) and which ones do work. You can save yourself some money... http://www.ridesidebyside.com/forums/index.php

I hope this helps...

PS. If money is not an issue...Go with the 700fi. It has the "cool factor" and has the newest features. Performance is no different than the 450/660 with the exception of a quieter cab (due to relocating the air intake from inside the cab to under the hood) and the fuel injection (mechanical not electric fuel injection).

Rhino cost from Yamaha Web Page -

2008 Rhino 450: Green/Red $8,299.00
    2008 Rhino 450: Camo $8,749.00

2008 Rhino 700: Green/Red $10,499.00
    2008 Rhino 700: Camo $10,949.00
    2008 Rhino 700: Midnight Armor $11,999.00
    2008 Rhino 700: Ducks Unlimited $11,499.00

2007 Rhino 660: Green/Red $9,799.00
    2007 Rhino 660: Camo $10,249.00

2007 Rhino 450: Green/Red $7,999.00
    2007 Rhino 450: Camo $8,449.00
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Greg, save some dough and buy the 450. I park my 660 Griz in the winter, pull that battery and have no prob firing it up in the spring. That 450 is a great motor and everything else on the 450 Rhino is identical to the 660 except the 450 has lower gearing which is great, especially in reverse. 8300 bucks for a 450 Rhino has got to be the best atv value on the market.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default thanks snyd

I went to where you bought your grizzly today to talk with them. I made myself set aside past experiences. As I was talking with a salesman, the owner starts yelling across the showroom about something he needed for another customer. Needless to say the salesman left us just standing there. All the reasons I did not want to go in there in the first place came flooding back. My exit was not fast enough.
    If I can't get better attention and service at the other local option, my money is heading south.

I went to where you bought your grizzly today to talk with them. I made myself set aside past experiences. As I was talking with a salesman, the owner starts yelling across the showroom about something he needed for another customer. Needless to say the salesman left us just standing there. All the reasons I did not want to go in there in the first place came flooding back. My exit was not fast enough.
    If I can't get better attention and service at the other local option, my money is heading south.
    pm me with what dealer that was. Are we talking about the same one? If so then that's too bad.