Thread: Popped bead repair

Default Popped bead repair

Is there anyway to repair a popped bead in the field, or am I hosed? My mudlites balloon quite a bit on my stock rims and I figure its a matter of time before this happens...heard you can use a loading strap to get it back into place before airing it up...or is this an urban legend?

Default Not a problem!!!

You heard correctly.

I have had to re-bead tires a number of times. Take the ratchet strap and put around center of tire and tighten it up as tight as it will go. Kick or hammer the sidewall and tighten strap a little more. Do this until you can't get anymore ratchet. I carry a (high volume, low pressure) bicycle hand pump and just start pumping air into it. A tire pump with a large air volume has worked better for me than a pump that does high pressure. It will leak out slowy at first but eventually seals. In most cases I have had to hammer or kick on the sidewall to get it to pop into the final seat.

Good luck.

Another option, besides a tiedown strap, is to wrap your winch cable around the centerline of the tire and tighten.

CO2 cartridges work good for this also, just remember, no matter what you use to inflate the tire with, remove the valve stem core first, this lets the volume of air into the tire thats required.

I've done the ratchet strap thing in my yard just to see how it would work. It took some time but worked. The stiffer the tires the tougher it is. I'm told the best way is to squirt some lighter fluid or butane in there and throw in a match. POOF! instant bead set. My buddy has tried it, works great. I carry a can of butane, some matches or lighter and a 12 volt pump I plug in to my accessory power supply.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

The "trick" to the above method is the amount of lighter fluid you put in there. It's pretty funny to watch someone try this with a 35" tire. It works well but can cost you a lot of hair. You ever see the look on someone's face after their lives have flashed quickly before their eyes? After you roll them around in the snow, you can't stop laughing. Oh, take along a spare set of britches too.

The ratchet trick does work but make sure you clean the bead before you try to re-seat it. A clean bead makes it much easier to seat. Additionally, carry a bead tool with you. That way you don't have to spend an hour kicking your tire and rim. This comes into play more when you only have a limited number of CO2 cartridges with you. Sort of like only having one match to light the fire that will save your life. If you have a 12v air pump (and I suggest you do), you have a little more room for error as you will be able to make air as long as your battery holds out. The bead tool (looks like a flat bar with a slight hook on the end) will allow you to pull the edge of the tire to the edge of your rim. Then, the ratchet strap works much better. The only thing I would say is that you do not need to tighten it down all the way. I have had the ratchet strap lock up due to the tire pressure. Ya, the bead seats but you can't get the ratchet strap off. You end up letting air out of your tire to get the strap off. Doing this defeats th purpose. Put enough pressure on the tire from the strap to push the sidewalls out. It takes some practice but the bead tool makes all the difference. It cost about $15.00 at the dealer. Probably a lot less if you look on eBay. Good Luck!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

I have an air strap made for seating beads. It works every time and when the bead seats, just let the air out of the strap.

Where did you get the air strap?

I actually got mine at an estate sale, but I believe you can buy them from Napa.

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    I have an air strap made for seating beads. It works every time and when the bead seats, just let the air out of the strap.
    Awesome idea. Didn't know they made such a thing. Thanks!...I will look into getting one.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLViewer/...015&ShowPics=1

This is what the air strap is all about. It works very well, and is much easier than a ratchet strap to get loose once the bead sets.

I've used the rachet strap many times with success. I also carry a small air compressor which does the trick.

Popped into NAPA yesterday to check on the air strap, will pass for now, thay are 100+. Ratchet strap will have to continue to do the trick.