Thread: building codes/laws and tips???

Anchorage, Ak

Default building codes/laws and tips???

Hello all, i have figured out a little more of what im looking for but am ready for the next little part. I am going for a framed cabin/home instead of a pre fab cabin as price will be cheaper and i will be able to do it my self. I have a multitude of questions on everything but i will start here. I have located the building codes here. how do i get blueprints with all of this info for local building. Do i have to get permits for building in fairbanks?

my other question is what should i look at for foundations for a 24x24 cabin with a loft and deck? i know there are a bunch of other posts on a lot of this stuff but i want location specific and where else i can go to read. i picked up other books on the subject of framing and electrical and stuff but none of them on alaska building. thanks

and i apologize for the rookie questions but im excited about the process and do not know where to start. haha Vance Johnson
    Last edited by akprideinvegas; 12-26-2007 at 03:41. Reason: add info

soon to be back in Alaska

If you plan to go through the building department have a drafter draw up the plans and then pay a structural engineer to review and stamp the drawings. It is not the only way but it is realitivly in expensive and effective.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Goldstream Valley, AK

Default Building Permits?

Unless you are building within city limits, there are no mandatory permits or codes imposed by municipalities. Once you get down into the Mat-Su Borough things might change, but north of the Alaska Range Fairbanks is the only municipality with permit/code requirements. If you're going for a mortgage, talk to the bank. Mine directed me to the link you had posted. Keep in mind you must follow DEC requirements for wells, septics, outhouses, underground storage tanks, etc.

Foundations: Really depends on site conditions. I've found post on pad to be best in permafrost areas, but that's just my experience. I've no experience with conventional foundations up here.